omer78

What kind of Hard Drive should i install on an 8CH LTS DVR ?

I guys, i just got a LTD2308SE 8CH standalone DVR.

The unit came without any hard drive installed.

Can you please recommend a suitable HD for my system, i think 1TB should be enough for my 6 cameras configuration.

I just don't know if i can pick up any 3.5" 7200rpm/5400rpm or if there any special ones for DVR systems.

I see that Western Digital came up with there own series of AV hard drive that are suitable to work 24/7 http://westerndigital.com/en/products/index.asp?cat=7

Is that really necessary or can i just go with a basic SATA 1TB with 7200rpm?

Thank you for helping me!

Omer

Edited by Guest

It looks like it takes a standard SATA hard-drive. You can find them everywhere. Seagate is a good brand Hard-Drive to get as well as Western Digital. Just make sure it can take 1 TB. Some DVR's have limitations to how much storage they can accept.

Does it matters if it spins on 7200rpm or 5400rpm for recording a 6 cameras configuration in 15FPS each.

i know that a higher rpm drive are best for heavy gaming but how it handles camera recording ?

thx again.

omer

It is unwise to use a standard desktop hard drive. Desktop harddrives are not designed for 24/7 cycling as experienced in a security dvr.

We only use Seagate hard drives in our recorders and we use the SV model which is a Seagate Hard drive specifically designed for surveillance application.

The hard drive is one of the most crucial components of a dvr, and yet so many people will just buy on price.....not very nice when the drive is inaccessible or corrupted at critical moments.

Hi Brandon, thank you for your detailed response.

I will get me a nice seagate SV drive for my DVR.

I love this forum

Just an FYI i used a WD AV drive and it had issues with a Geovision DVR .. HD was fine otherwise, will never use it again, it was the last thing I would have thought would be giving me the problems I was having as it was perfect otherwise. I might try a Seagate next though, but definitely stay clear of the WD AV drives at least for Geo, I have a long thread on that here. Never had problems using standard drives though. Most important thing is to make sure the system no matter what HDD, that it is on a voltage regulator.

Thx for your comment, the DVR i will be using is:

LTD2308SE

8 Channel H.264 Pentaplex Network DVR

,240FPS Realtime Display Realtime Recording

,1280*1024 VGA.

I called LT tech support and they confirmed that it can hold any sata disk i have.

I thought to get either the WD AV or the Seagate SV....

I have been using WD drive for years with 0 problems so far but never had to use the AV series.

Maybe i'll just go with the seagate this time...

i'll keep updating.

Thx for your comment, the DVR i will be using is:

LTD2308SE

8 Channel H.264 Pentaplex Network DVR

,240FPS Realtime Display Realtime Recording

,1280*1024 VGA.

I called LT tech support and they confirmed that it can hold any sata disk i have.

I thought to get either the WD AV or the Seagate SV....

I have been using WD drive for years with 0 problems so far but never had to use the AV series.

Maybe i'll just go with the seagate this time...

i'll keep updating.

dont waste money on AV drives. and they will give you problems. W/D tech say they have had many complaints off people using AV drives in dvrs. AV drives are for pvrs and home media systems were the drive it stoping and starting all the time. on a dvr your drive is not stoping and starting.

just get yourself a good mame 1TB sata H/drive. ...... some one will tell you that they are no good for 24/7 operation . its all crap i have had H/drives in dvrs for 12 years running 24/7 and still working well.

Thx for the info, i think i'll start using a regular 500Gb sata drive that i had for a while...

it's not that the data is highly important, if i see something i need to keep i just burn it on a dvd.

can the unit run without hard drive for online viewing only without the record part or it must have HD to boot up ?

thx guys!!

As with all surveillance decisions the cost of a solution is weighed up against the criticality of the data. Given that the Data is not that important to you, using a standard HDD should not be a problem.

I have also experienced specific compatability issues with WD drives in surveillance.

Hard Drive errors are one of the most common to arise in a surveillance DVR. For every DVR hard drive that runs for 12 years (?), hundreds more fail prematurely .

Seagate has specifically optimized their SV series HDD for surveillance, they specifically use the word surveillance.

The SV series dvr can be customized for video or data payloads using the ATA-7 streaming command support. Surveillance hard drives are subjected to more writes and less reads than PC hard drives. Some reputable DVR manufacturers, such as bluestar have specifically worked with seagate in the development of the drives and have raised their warranties to 5 years on their hardware since adopting the SV drives. In addition studies have shown a 10% drop in energy consumption when using a SV drive compared to standard HDD.

It is unrealistic to expect a HDD to last 12 years, but very realistic to assume that a hard drive installed in a surveillance dvr may fail prematurely. How significant "may fail" proves to be, depends on the criticality of the data.

Just got the HD 2T SATA2 ST32000542AS for $89.99. from newegg.com

hope it will be fine, if not ill get the av/sv series.

Thx to all of you!

Thx to all of you!

like before dont use a AV TYPE h/drive ......... you are best just using a standard drive for your dvr ........ just no point at all you using AV type.

Thx to all of you!

like before dont use a AV TYPE h/drive ......... you are best just using a standard drive for your dvr ........ just no point at all you using AV type.

Thx Tom...i got the non AV