arcadiacctv

cheap cameras and interference

I am new to this forum and very impressed by the knowledge base. I have several cameras installed on my stand alone system. Recently, I bought 2 cameras(ebay) under $100 each and both are exhibiting horizontal lines of interference. I tried new power supplies and switching cables with my other working cameras. I am still getting interference on these 2 cameras. I am using a Geovision gv-800 ...has anyone else had any problems like this?thanks

I am new to this forum and very impressed by the knowledge base. I have several cameras installed on my stand alone system. Recently, I bought 2 cameras(ebay) under $100 each and both are exhibiting horizontal lines of interference. I tried new power supplies and switching cables with my other working cameras. I am still getting interference on these 2 cameras. I am using a Geovision gv-800 ...has anyone else had any problems like this?thanks

Hi arcadiacctv. if people have cameras that have bad images or bad ir..... they are hard to sell without having any comeback................ so they sell on ebay. if you have a good dvr (which you have ) and the others are working fine then just put it down to cheap cameras and learn from it.

yeah you're right....I have bought low end cameras from a dealer and had no problems...I guess I'll return these one's. I thought maybe there was something I was doing wrong...thanks alot for the reply

if you take the other cameras off and just leave on the 2 new cameras, does the interference go away?

also are they powered on separate power supplies?

Hello,

Do you have more than one phase in your electrical system?

There's a possibility you have a ground loop.

Also try to connect the new camera's to the inputs of the good working cams to check if the GV800 is ok.

Greets,

Electryko

thanks for all the help I'm getting.

The cameras all have separate power supplies...I have changed power supplies with same results. When I disconnect all the other cameras and plug in the new ones one at a time, I get horizontal rolling lines on both.For some reason, these cameras are picking up some kind of interference, but only when plugged into the card. I have all the cameras sitting in front of me to test so it cannot be a cable problem...I am using 1 cable to test all

When you test all of your cameras are you using the same everything:

1. Same Cable 2. Same channel input on your DVR 3. Same Power supply

test your good cameras with the same equipment as above too. Its obvious that your cameras are good since you got a good picture when plugging them in the monitor, so you have to use the process of elimination to determine what the root of the problem is.

Also the monitor needs less of a signal to get an image, if the signal is bad normally there will be other issues but this could still be related. I would also redo the video connectors or change them for some totally different ones from another store even. I recently got some connectors that were just bad no matter what I did with them. Make sure the power cable and supply is enough for these new cameras, make sure they dont draw more current than the older ones.

Also what size is the monitor you are testing it on? If its really small you might not even see the lines compared to a larger PC monitor.

And did you try replacing these new cameras with one of the old ones, or vice versa, to make sure there is no interference on the line.

The cameras may not be isolated, and neither the power supply. Try a different power supply.

EDIT. I see you said you tried most of this already

Please provide a list of:

1-Cable type

2-Cable Distance

3-Power Supply type

4-Video and Power connection type

5-Camera model of new and old cameras

6-Were these new cameras, new?

The DVR is also worth looking at but that gets much more detailed, so need to start with the basics.

They could just be bad cameras.

The old cameras are called ipointer and work fine...the new ones don't even have a name...the box says model sg-5920 by sgb.

I have tried pretty much everything as far as swapping cables, etc. No matter what I do, when I connect any of these new cameras to the card using any cables that were connected to the old cameras, I get these lines. The old cameras are crystal clear.

I am a computer technician by trade but new to cctv. This is an upgrade for a friend of mine. I put in what was suppose to be a geovision 800 16ch card a week ago and all seemed good until I install these new cameras.Now ,the more I learn, the more I am thinking this card is fake...I have spent many hours researching this card and it does not look like a true geovision...should it not say "geovision" on the card ?

I know I am going off track here, but I wouldn't have even suspected a fake card if it were not for the problem with these cameras.

Lol, this is not going to be a profitable job.I told the guy he was getting a geovision card and some new cameras for x amount of dollars. I should have known better than going with ebay

Is there someone on this forum that could look at the pictures I took and verify that this is a fake? I would need this in order to get my money back?

From the eBay article:

Real cards have a serial number on the back, and on the box, which can be checked with geovision to see if the card is genuine, if the seller refuses to tell you the card is genuine, and that there is a checkable serial number (no real reason I can think of why they should not tell you that number so you can email geovision yourself and check it) then I would walk away.

If there's no serial... question answered right there.

If there is, you can contact GV and ask them if it's legit.

Clones are brown box, copied booklet, and white burned DVD/CD. If you got it from ebay anyway, its almost no question its a clone, especially if it was cheap. (though some sell 2nd hand ones there at low cost also)

basically here is an example of a legit card, minus the popcorn stuff:

Yeah thats as fake as they come.

version 8.2 is older software, its up to 8.3.4 or even higher now. All new cards will come with at least 8.3.4 now. Also resolution is only 640x480 max, while Geo has always been 720x480 since Ive used it a couple years back from version 7.0. And lastly it only has Wavelet and Mpeg 4, that dates back to the 6.0-7.0 days, infact I dont even recall if Geo ever had Wavelet codecs. Either way its had Mpeg4 and H.264 at least from version 8.0.

Did your box and card look like that in their picture?

Basically at that price either it is an old second hand card or its fake.

lol..I know now but how many is this guy conning? Ebay is a mess, in order to get my money back, I have to get an authorized dealer to say its a fake in writing. I'll have to make a few calls I guess

Yeah he needs a good caning

Now its a slight, SLIGHT possibility he doesnt even know he is selling clones.

He might have got an email like we all do from some hong kong based distributor advertising Geo and Kodicom cards - btw Kodicom cards are a dead giveaway that a store has cloned cards, as Kodicom dont sell cards like that - or maybe he searched them out. If he never knew to begin with or never asked or they never told him (course they wont LOL) he might be right there thinking they are really Legit cards.

But he should do a little more research before he sells something, its like saying someone was selling a certain drug but didnt know they were illegal because the dealer they bought it from didnt say it was

Better yet, perhaps send an email to Geovision and see if they would report back that its a clone, then forward that to Ebay?

Though still not sure this is causing the problem you are having, as the other cameras are working fine. Probably just cheap bad cameras picking up some interference from the PC.

I betcha he knows its a fake, otherwise, if he knew it was real, he would have put "geovision" in the title. That would have been a good selling point. Instead, he put it in the description to avoid his card showing up in search results when somebody searches Geovision. If Geovision is like most other companies that have several counterfeit products, they will search ebay for fake cards and report them to ebay to have the listing pulled down.

thanks for the replies...I think he knows they are fake. I emailed him and told him so. His reply was in very bad english and basically said he did not know what I mean. Geovision confirmed it to be fake.

Soooo...I decided to go a different route. Proving it was a fake was going to be tough..instead, I just opened a claim saying that the item received was different than the one in the listing. Hopefully, I just pay return shipping and then get my money back.

It bothers me that this guy will continue to do this to other people.