Fusion79

NAS storage for IP Cameras

Hi Guys,

I am new here and hope that you guys could give me some pointers on the problem that i am having.

My company is the distributor for several brand of IP cameras and we are looking into a single NAS storage for 4 channel solution. So far i have only found 2 company (QNAP and Synology) that supports CCTV IP protocol in their firmware.

Is there any other brand that you guys would recommend?

Some of the IP Brands that we carry are Arecont Vision, Sanyo, Sony, Panasonic and Axis. I do not need the NAS to support all brand.

Hi,

i have just joined the company so i rather not reveal to much ....sorry

Anyway, we r just a small distribution company in Asia country....

I hope that you could help me out in this issue....i have just joined as a technical guy so trying to gain as much knowledge bout CCTV as possible....

What specifically are you asking? Sorry, but I don't understand what "4 channel" means to a NAS (I assume you mean a NAS recording four IP streams). And what specific functionality is required, other than bandwidth and connection options (SMB, SAMBA, FTP, etc.)? Specifically, you will need to clarify the bandwidth requirements of the four cameras (are they MP, multiple MP?) - this will get your combined bandwidth. You will then want a NAS solution that supports this (read/write spec). My experience is that the NAS solutions you mention will be more than sufficient to handle 4 IP cameras (MP+). But keep in mind the NAS is just then end point of the equation - you need to take into consideration the server (hardware/software) of the NVR, the available network bandwidth (10/100/1000 Mbit?). In other words, you could spec out a great NAS solution, but have an underpowered NVR that can't pump out the required data fast enough for the NVR (which you may perceive as the NVR not recording all frames, or whatever). Single drive NAS solutions will most likely max out at the 4 MP (depending on codec used - MJPEG/H.264, etc.) camera range, at which point you'll need a multidisk (RAID) solution for both performance and redundancy.

I've always just seen a NAS as a remote drive/directory which a camera can store it's video onto, but perhaps I'm completely clueless as to how their use with IP cameras is different than say software NVR that stores it's recorded output to a NAS. I wasn't aware of any protocols specific to NAS and IP cameras, but I'm certainly open to be educated!

I think you need NAS based NVR, because neither arecont, nor sony or panasonic (sanyo) can write to NAS directly

Try NUUO, the new NVRmini2 model, it is less expensive than QNAP 2004L

Depending on the cameras you are using it would depend on the NAS device...

I normally use Synology with Mobtoix as I find they sync well and have less read write errors.

QNAP works well with some of the lower end cameras I have found but I try not to use them as much anymore.

Qnap is OK but I would use SYNOLOGY.

MM

I think he meant to say a NAS based NVR as well. Although QNAP is more known for their storage solutions, they in fact do have NVR for security in their product lines. And because of their experience in storage, I actually think they got some good recording solutions for small and medium projects.