ssgohan434

Quick question about cameras in rain

Are housings needed for all cameras in outdoor rain conditions or should cameras that are designated weatherproof be fine on there own? The camera that I'm specifically inquiring about is the CNB WBL-20S. They website from the manufacturer says it's IP66 (http://www.cnbtec.com/en/html/product/product.php?seqx_prod=1194) , but I can't find further info on it.

The camera is going outside a gas station in the Pacific NW, weathers gets below freezing during winter and we get occasional snow. Generally windy/rainy conditions.

Thank you

Are housings needed for all cameras in outdoor rain conditions or should cameras that are designated weatherproof be fine on there own? The camera that I'm specifically inquiring about is the CNB WBL-20S. They website from the manufacturer says it's IP66 (http://www.cnbtec.com/en/html/product/product.php?seqx_prod=1194) , but I can't find further info on it.

The camera is going outside a gas station in the Pacific NW, weathers gets below freezing during winter and we get occasional snow. Generally windy/rainy conditions.

Thank you

Your fine if it's IP66. No housing needed.

IP Ratings and what the numbers mean

Thank you

yes that camera is fine ......... very good camera but the problem i have with it is the bracket. and if you get a lot of snow it will move. plus the security side its not a good bracket. i would look at the CNB WFM-24VF/WFM-25VF much better bracket

Still be careful whatever the rating. Seal the points of possible entry with caulking if they are exposed, such as a cable going into the back of a bullet camera, even some cameras with cable pass mounts, if there is a section which is exposed to rain in that bracket as some are, seal that up too, and with domes keep them away from direct exposure to rain if possible, under eaves for example are best.

If you dont take precautions such as this, and a certain part of the camera did not have proper quality control or was loosened up by someone else between the manufacturer and you, then you may spend a couple days trying to dry that out or have to suffer the dreaded condensation.