Toaster

D1 @ 7fps OR CIF @ 30fps? Which is Better--is Bigger better?

CBR will give you a consistant quality level. VBR will be based on the complexity of the video.

VBR can be lower quality, it can also be higher.

never change a chinese DVR from CBR to VBR .. even when you set it back to CBR the darn thing stays on VBR!!

never change a chinese DVR from CBR to VBR .. even when you set it back to CBR the darn thing stays on VBR!!

Well then I'm screwed already. Because out of the box the quality setting (which you can not change in CBR) was set to HIGH (not higher or highest) so I changed to VBR to change it to highest, then changed them all back to CBR.

Right now at 15FPS D1 files are about 9-10mb a minute. Is that high?

The bit rate is set to Constant (CBR) at 2048k

Is that at a custom setting? That seems pretty high, you may want to set it a little lower to see if you notice any difference to see if you can save on some hard-drive space. I dont notice too much of a difference between 2048 and the lower 1000's, but I am sure the differences are variable on certain DVR's. You may want to play with it to see what that "sweet spot" bit rate is on your DVR where you get at a certain level of Bit Rate and you dont see much of a difference whenever you increase it. Basically, you want to set it at the lowest you can get away with without sacrificing quality.

What bit rate do you have your internet stream at?

Well then I'm screwed already. Because out of the box the quality setting (which you can not change in CBR) was set to HIGH (not higher or highest) so I changed to VBR to change it to highest, then changed them all back to CBR.

with CBR the quality setting is already highest. As far as I know.

I too went that route to VBR and the quality settings but it only made it worse!

Like streaming video over websites where it has artifacts.

The bit rate is set to Constant (CBR) at 2048k

Is that at a custom setting? That seems pretty high, you may want to set it a little lower to see if you notice any difference to see if you can save on some hard-drive space. I dont notice too much of a difference between 2048 and the lower 1000's, but I am sure the differences are variable on certain DVR's. You may want to play with it to see what that "sweet spot" bit rate is on your DVR where you get at a certain level of Bit Rate and you dont see much of a difference whenever you increase it. Basically, you want to set it at the lowest you can get away with without sacrificing quality.

What bit rate do you have your internet stream at?

the bitrate setting allows higher bitrates as you increase the FPS, in D1 at least.

Eg on channel 1 at D1 it allows 30fps, so you can set the bitrate as high as 4096.

But I just tested that and it went from 400kbps (1024 bitrate) to around 3000 kbps on the network software.

The default, out of the box, was CIF @ 30FPS across all 8CH's at 1024k or 1536k (something like that). I maxed the bitrate out at 2048k which is the highest it will go.

the network stream is set to CIF @ 7FPS at 768k - which is also the max. And when viewing a single channel online it looks really good, very fluid motion, when viewing in 2x2 (4 panes) its pretty "jerky" but you can for sure see whats going on. One of the cool things about the activex control (web applet) for this QT428 DVR is you can change from viewing the sub-stream (cif network stream) to main stream by right clicking and choosing which stream it should send. The FPS drops immediately when I switch to the main stream (obviously) but its very nice to be able to choose.

I need to play around with the settings like you said.... and at least see whats the differences (if any).. right now I'm in the mode - I want the biggest, most detailed images possible WHO CARES ABOUT THE HDD!!!! Muhahahaha

with CBR the quality setting is already highest. As far as I know.

I too went that route to VBR and the quality settings but it only made it worse!

Like streaming video over websites where it has artifacts.

So whats the deal? I have it set for CBR now, but I did have it at VBR... am I stuck?

the network stream is set to CIF @ 7FPS at 768k - which is also the max. And when viewing a single channel online it looks really good, very fluid motion, when viewing in 2x2 (4 panes) its pretty "jerky" but you can for sure see whats going on. One of the cool things about the activex control (web applet) for this QT428 DVR is you can change from viewing the sub-stream (cif network stream) to main stream by right clicking and choosing which stream it should send. The FPS drops immediately when I switch to the main stream (obviously) but its very nice to be able to choose.

The main network stream is the same as the encoded settings, if you are set to record at D1 7fps thats what it streams, sub stream is an option, I guess for really slow connections. I ONLY use the main stream, works great and is good quality. The substream is not enough for my needs. In my software Im not even including the substream either, I leave it on the main stream all day long here

So whats the deal? I have it set for CBR now, but I did have it at VBR... am I stuck?

Ive done everything from defaults to fireware updates and although it says it is CBR its still encoding everything with a VBR, with artifacts. Although maybe thats how they are, maybe their CBR is not really 100% CBR, perhaps its the codec they use.

wait this is not the same DVR now right? Could be different then.

Thank god it was innocent, these girls had no bad intentions, they were just scoping out the window, noticed the camera - even waved at it.

Were they cute??

Thank god it was innocent, these girls had no bad intentions, they were just scoping out the window, noticed the camera - even waved at it.

Were they cute??

They were OK... I'm still new at this, so watching almost felt "naughty"

I'm now using the Q-see QT428 8CH dvr which is by TVT... I think it was said its KOREAN -- I don't know....?

I'm now using the Q-see QT428 8CH dvr which is by TVT... I think it was said its KOREAN -- I don't know....?

chinese also

Hi...

For me HDD storage is not a problem.

Price/GB is going down after all

My question is :

which brand and model of DVR allow us to set the compression bitrate for saving the data ?

I tried AVTech KPP677, no setting for bit rate.

Thanks,

Maled