SambaNoodles

Gigabit PoE switch recommendations

Hi. I need to purchase a PoE (Power Over Ethernet) network switch to handle around ten IP cameras. At least one (uplink) port on the switch needs to be gigabit.

I will be connecting 1.3MP IP cameras.

Any recommendations on a stable, but cost-effective switch. I'm not really looking to spend $1000+ on swtich, but i do want something that is going to last 5+ years.

We use the Cisco SFE1000P extensively - eight 10/100 PoE ports and two GbE/miniGBIC ports. They're 1U, half-width, fanless, and been rock-solid for us. They retail around here for about $300.

For more ports than that, there's the SFE2000P, which has 24 10/100 PoE ports and four GbE ports, two of those having miniGBIC option. Retail here is around $600. I haven't used these yet (haven't had the need) but based on the 1000P's performance, I'd be happy to give them a shot too.

These are great for cameras because pretty much all current cameras are only 10/100, so we save a bit over going with an all-gigabit switch (the SGE2000P, for example, is almost $1000, for 24 PoE gigabit ports). The two gigabit ports are perfect for connecting a DVR/NVR, and a NAS array.

Check out Netgear. You can get this one for a little over $300

http://www.netgear.com/products/business/switches/smart-switches/FS728TP.aspx

Hi. I need to purchase a PoE (Power Over Ethernet) network switch to handle around ten IP cameras. At least one (uplink) port on the switch needs to be gigabit.

I will be connecting 1.3MP IP cameras.

Any recommendations on a stable, but cost-effective switch. I'm not really looking to spend $1000+ on swtich, but i do want something that is going to last 5+ years.

Netgear is the way to go for cost effective switches. Ive had several up and running for many days now and had zero problems.

GS748TP for a 48 port

FS728TP for a 24 port

Netgear products are generally solid and affordable, but I will pay a premium to avoid fans.

Best,

Christopher

Netgear is the way to go for cost effective switches. Ive had several up and running for many days now and had zero problems.

GS748TP for a 48 port

FS728TP for a 24 port

Netgear products are generally solid and affordable, but I will pay a premium to avoid fans.

Best,

Christopher

Agreed. They do have fans but if you have a generally dust free area and in a closet with no worry about sound then they work fine. They are pretty cheap and work well.

Would the Cisco SF300-24P do the trick? I have the same question and that's what I've been looking at.

Dunno if you're still looking for switches, but I have been using a Trendnet TPE-80WS 8-port (all gigabit) PoE switch for several months now. Street price is ~$250. It does have a small fan in back, but it's been sitting under my desk for almost a year and I have never heard it.

Just to give some feedback, I got the Netgear 24-port PoE switch. Been running it for about a month, and I am quite happy with the way it runs...fan noise is a bit annoying...but for $300, can't really complain.

Cheers.

When people complain about the noise from the fan on that unit they are not kidding. I have mine in a closet so it is not a problem. If I had it sitting next to me it would drive me nuts. A good unit otherwise IMO.

Just to give some feedback, I got the Netgear 24-port PoE switch. Been running it for about a month, and I am quite happy with the way it runs...fan noise is a bit annoying...but for $300, can't really complain.

Cheers.

When people complain about the noise from the fan on that unit they are not kidding.

Those 1U fans can seem relatively quiet at first, but after a while, you realize that high pitch whine is very annoying. There are some good alternatives, so I never purchase switches with fans anymore.

Best,

Christopher

I bought a Dell Powerconnect 3424P. It has 24 ports 100mb PoE and 2 gigabit ports for uplink.

It is pretty cheap used or refurbished from ebay and some stores online.

I bought a Dell Powerconnect 3424P. It has 24 ports 100mb PoE and 2 gigabit ports for uplink.

Does it have fans? I used a Dell switch with fans about six years ago. I considered putting wings on the rack enclosure to see if it would fly.

Best,

Christopher

Does it have fans? I used a Dell switch with fans about six years ago. I considered putting wings on the rack enclosure to see if it would fly.

Best,

Christopher

Yes, it has fans.

I don't sleep near the rack, so it is perfectly fine for me

Netgear has a new 8port POE switch without fans

Is it 8 PoE ports? What is the model number?

I've been using a Netgear FS108P (4 PoE plus 4 non-PoE) for about a year. It's a 10/100. No fans. Solid performer.

Best,

Christopher