Toaster

What ANALOG cameras compare to Megapixel IP cameras?

So it looks like the way to get amazing quality video and images from a CCTV security system is use megapixel IP cameras and all digital dvr's or encoding pci cards on a pc.

So what (if any) camera's in the analog realm produce the high quality if megapixel IP cameras? And since I am recording at 704x480 (D1) is the same type of quality even possible.

As much detail as possible is always appreciated. THANKS.

640x480 is 0.3MP... so how would you EXPECT that to compare to >1MP? 1.2MP is 1280x960, or FOUR TIMES the resolution. By definition, it's simply not possible for analog capture to give the same detail as megapixel.

Now, there are other factors that play into overall image quality, and it certainly is possible for a high-end analog camera to provide better overall results under certain circumstances. An analog camera with a high-quality lens is definitely capable of producing better pictures than a megapixel camera with a crappy lens, for example. I have yet to see a megapixel camera (at least not at any sort of real-world price point) that can handle severe backlighting like a Panasonic SDIII.

But all else being equal...

640x480 is 0.3MP... so how would you EXPECT that to compare to >1MP? 1.2MP is 1280x960, or FOUR TIMES the resolution. By definition, it's simply not possible for analog capture to give the same detail as megapixel.

Now, there are other factors that play into overall image quality, and it certainly is possible for a high-end analog camera to provide better overall results under certain circumstances. An analog camera with a high-quality lens is definitely capable of producing better pictures than a megapixel camera with a crappy lens, for example. I have yet to see a megapixel camera (at least not at any sort of real-world price point) that can handle severe backlighting like a Panasonic SDIII.

Soundy I will find out. I am replacing Panasonic 484s with Sanyo HD 3100s. The cameras are the same price so this is an easy sell for the customer and I have found the Sanyo's can handle the backlighting very well. I will try to get before and after images.

Edited by Guest

So it looks like the way to get amazing quality video and images from a CCTV security system is use megapixel IP cameras and all digital dvr's or encoding pci cards on a pc.

So what (if any) camera's in the analog realm produce the high quality if megapixel IP cameras? And since I am recording at 704x480 (D1) is the same type of quality even possible.

You do not need Digital DVRs or PCI cards for IP cameras. You will need a Hybrid DVR or VMS software running on a server.

As Soundy said you will not get the resolution with Analog as you can with HD/Megapixel. You my get better image quality with high end analog vs low end HD/Megapixel.

You do not need Digital DVRs or PCI cards for IP cameras. You will need a Hybrid DVR or VMS software running on a server.

As Soundy said you will not get the resolution with Analog as you can with HD/Megapixel. You my get better image quality with high end analog vs low end HD/Megapixel.

I know my dvr is not hybrid. What is VMS software?

I am replacing Panasonic 484s with a Sanyo HD 3100s. The cameras are the same price so this is an easy sell for the customer and I have found the Sanyo's can handle the backlighting very well. I will try to get before and after images.

Let all of us know how this cam works for you. If possible, please post images from it. I'm on the fence right now with this one as I haven't seen any live views from this model. Seems cheap enough. Thanks.

Soundy I will find out. I am replacing Panasonic 484s with Sanyo HD 3100s. The cameras are the same price so this is an easy sell for the customer and I have found the Sanyo's can handle the backlighting very well. I will try to get before and after images.

Will be interesting to see the difference under truly extreme backlighting conditions. I've seen a lot of instances where lesser cameras are fine and people question the extra cost for the SDIII... but then there are the times when, for example, you get a "stylish" restaurant with a dim interior, and bright summer sun shining through a glass door, and you want to get a clear shot of the person's face coming in the door, and the lesser camera just doesn't do the job.

Will be interesting to see the difference under truly extreme backlighting conditions. I've seen a lot of instances where lesser cameras are fine and people question the extra cost for the SDIII... but then there are the times when, for example, you get a "stylish" restaurant with a dim interior, and bright summer sun shining through a glass door, and you want to get a clear shot of the person's face coming in the door, and the lesser camera just doesn't do the job.

That is exactly what we have. They have a large bar with all glass wall behind it and they what to identify people at the bar. Right now there is one 484 but they will need 5 of them to give them the coverage they need/want. This is the worse case for a camera, large windows with direct sunlight and low light at night time. We are doing a proof of concept and they want to start with this camera so I have my work cut out for me but if I do it right there are anther 160 cameras to replace.

Hi thewireguys. am a big fan of sanyo i use the HD3500. and they do cope with backlight very well. i will post some footage soon of a armed robbery ........... need to have the court case first before i can post it.

footage was taken from a hybrid and was very clear but the footage from the onboard sd card was just like watching a good movie.