B-Max

What to do now? >with photos

Hi again all, now that the introductions are over I'll start begging for suggestions from the experts here: I want to monitor my driveweay and immediate surroundings for now, but if this becomes contagious I can see doing more locations in the future.

Why now? - Someone recently stole the spare tire out form under my truck, made me mad and would love to find them, but I'd at least have liked to know what type of vehicle it was and when it actually happend.

Where to start - This is a tough question, I already own a Synology NAS that has something called "Surveillance Station" built to manage IP cams, so I thought I would start the search for an IP camera, but they seem WAY more expensive than DVR connected cameras, so I'm not so sure anymore - hopefully you can help me with that.

For starters - I'd like to monitor all three vehicles in the driveway, and it would be great if I could also see the vehicles (model -color) in the street.

So I guess for now I'm torn between IP Camera or DVR?

Can I do it with one camera or would I need multiple?

Do I want fixed or PTZ?

Need to stand up to these Ohio winters -

And money is important, I started this trek thinking I could get away with spending a couple hundred

dollars, after reading through the forums here I'm hoping to keep it under $500.

Thanks in advance for any thoughts...

Brian

IMG_6056.JPG.180e09a9d0029a04d6e2c60d7bf338cb.JPG

IMG_6051.JPG.a546c9b3a903e733c96f7265a3914006.JPG

If you use an IP megapixel camera you will get similar clarity as to the pictures that you took. Usually, you need less of those than regular Analog cameras because of their high definition. But they are a little more expensive than Analog which means you may only be able to purchase one with your budget. And that doesnt include a recording device. I am not sure if your IP manager will help you record or not but that is something you will want to find out.

Traditional Analog cameras with a regular DVR will be less expensive but you are still pushing it for your budget if you want to get some brand new brand name equipment. You would probably just need a 4 camera DVR with some cameras pointed at various spots with different lens lengths to pick up on certain areas. The second picture you have is illuminated pretty good and most good cameras with fairly well low light capabilities will be able to see in that condition. Your first picture is pretty dim and some extra illumination may be needed (or you could use infrared cameras)

Sean, thanks very much for the reply. The NAS unit I have does handle recording, motion detection, etc. I have been leaning towards the IP camera, so that narrows it down, but the options are still limitless when you consider megapixel size, bullet style vs dome, complete unit vs camera and enclosure separate, do I want/need PTZ, Poe, etc. And the list goes on.

Anyone, feel free to comment on all of the above, also can you (or anyone) recommend a manufacturer that delivers the most bang for the buck in the IP camera area?

I really appreciate the advice.

Brian

but the options are still limitless when you consider megapixel size, bullet style vs dome, complete unit vs camera and enclosure separate, do I want/need PTZ, Poe, etc. And the list goes on.

I can narrow it down a bit for you. You don't want/need PTZ. A DIY should not need to put a box camera in an enclosure unless you really need the features of that box camera (e.g. 750 ultra low light).

With that out of the way, if you have eves that are suitable for mini domes, that would be my preference. I prefer not to see bullets pointed in random directions on a home, but that's just me. I think well-installed mini domes tend to be less obvious, IMO.

Hope that helps.

Best,

Christopher

If you go IP, remember the higher the resolution the less capable it is in low light. IR cameras aren't too common yet in IP either(and usually max at 2MP).

IF you go megapixel, you should be able to hit all three vehicles and some of the surrounding though. You will probably need additional exterior lighting(unless you get one of the few IR type).

If you already have a NAS that can record IP cameras, use that to whittle down your list. What cameras does it support? http://www.synology.com/support/faq_show.php?lang=enu&q_id=381

I'm going to ignore the ONVIF and PSIA pieces.

Of the rest, the following have IR MP(or HD) cameras:

ACTi

Hikvision

Messoa

Sony

Toshiba

Vivotek

Of those, the support suffers except on Sony and Toshiba - though the price goes up.

If your budget allows for it, the SNCCH160 / SNCDH160 are sweet cameras. The Toshiba IK-WR12A is somewhat reasonably priced.

If you go with separate lighting then the field opens up some more again.

Thanks for the thoughful replies, you've undoubtedly saved me weeks of research and probably some trial and error.

When you say external lightining are you referring to independant IR lighting or some additional carriage/flood lights? I'm wondering if the other camera options + additional lighting would be more cost effective that the IR cameras.

Again, thanks

Brian

Thanks for the thoughful replies, you've undoubtedly saved me weeks of research and probably some trial and error.

When you say external lightining are you referring to independant IR lighting or some additional carriage/flood lights? I'm wondering if the other camera options + additional lighting would be more cost effective that the IR cameras.

Again, thanks

Brian

Brian I would suggest install megapix and forget about Analog cams

have a look

Customer is very happy

Pix size was reduce for forum

Garage1-1.jpg

OmarWindow-1.jpg

WOW! AK, I'm sold (depending on the cost).

I'm particularly impressed with the driveway shot, what camera model is this, and do I need to shop for any specific specs to reproduce the wide shot?

Thanks,

Brian

WOW! AK, I'm sold (depending on the cost).

I'm particularly impressed with the driveway shot, what camera model is this, and do I need to shop for any specific specs to reproduce the wide shot?

Thanks,

Brian

PM was sent

Again, thanks

Brian

Either. Flood lights work better for the camera than IR and you can get a color picture(after the camera switches back to color of course).

If your going with separate IR, your probably going with a Dome camera then - for ease of installation.

A couple advantages of separate IR source is a) you can often select higher power from a separate source, and b) some regions have many insects and spiders that are attracted to the IR source, and this problem can be mitigated by moving the IR source a short distance away from the camera.

Best,

Christopher

First off I want to thank all who posted replies, the information you provided has been well received. I have been scouring the web and *well-known auction sites for cameras, but I would be amiss if I did not first inquire on this forum that has been so kind. Anyone have any suggestions on where I could find and Outdoor, Megapixel, IP, Dome Camera? POE would be nice, but I think I'll pass on the IR right now to save money (unless, of course, there's a deal I cannot pass up), as I have learned that I can always add external lighting later if needed. Please keep in mind , the camera will have to function in these coold Ohio winters, and my budget for this project is $500.

Thank again for all the help!

First off I want to thank all who posted replies, the information you provided has been well received. I have been scouring the web and *well-known auction sites for cameras, but I would be amiss if I did not first inquire on this forum that has been so kind. Anyone have any suggestions on where I could find and Outdoor, Megapixel, IP, Dome Camera? POE would be nice, but I think I'll pass on the IR right now to save money (unless, of course, there's a deal I cannot pass up), as I have learned that I can always add external lighting later if needed. Please keep in mind , the camera will have to function in these coold Ohio winters, and my budget for this project is $500.

Thank again for all the help!

How many cameras