ziggy221

Wireless Live video on PDA on local premesis only??

Im looking to set up a dvr to allow for live video feed of all installed cameras wirelessly to a PDA around the property, broadcast range 500 feet max. Is there any way to do this? any special equipment needed?/

all input appreciated?

Your going to need a DVR that has Pocket PC/PDA Software, and a powerful wireless network, maybe some yaggies. Maybe something like the Motorolla Canape, or the Trango Wireless Network. If its line of sight you could probably get away with a cheaper product, like basic wireless router with external antennas .. maybe cisco . not sure what they have these days ..

We have used the CISCO AIRONET 350 and the AIRONET 1400 with CISCO repeaters To connect or I-VIEW DVR'S to HP Ipaq's, and it has worked with no problems. You will need a exterior Yagi antenna in order to get better range outside the premisses.

Another cheaper alternative is Linksys Products, but I haven't been able to make them reach 300 feet, with all the extenders and Yagi Antennas in the world.

What type of DVR are you planning to use?

www.starnexinternational.com

may be a solution for you.

About their bluetooth technology. Are there bluetooth surveillance cameras, and if so where can I find them?

For indoor wireless coverage I'd highly recommend using an access point/ antenna setup which uses 2 antennas (diversity) it aides in bouncing RF around on walls.

For outdoor coverage either an omni or a panel depending on location, coverage expectations etc.

For long range I'd recommend a pair of high gain wire grid (dish style) antennas

I've used some WG 302 ap's in the past and for max coverage (rated at 100 mw) at a reasonable cost I'd recommend them, just be sure to update them before you mount them in an inaccessible location due to the fact that if you have an older model you will have to do the initial update with a null modem cable.

Well, I was happy with my I-VIEW, I am still happy with them, but I just don't sell them anymore. The are not listening anymore, we always try to give them ideas on what features customer's want, and at one point, they where listening. But now, all they say is "next version, next version". The search function is not on par with everyone else, plus other things.

dont you mean .. "nex wersion, nex wersion ... "

they got the best live remote video ive seen though ..

I know for some brands, if the DVR is connected to Internet for remote surveillance using computer AP, you can also have the option to use your mobile phone or PDA phone to access live images or even control the DVR. But I believe you will need to have a GPRS phone with Java J2ME MIDP2.0 protocal for streaming images.

When you set your DVR to an IP address, you can use your mobile and log in to that IP and you can view the images, or even control DVR.

But not all network DVR has this feature, only some high end MPEG-4 I believe due to the requirement for faster transmission. Also if you are connecting this way, the cost for GPRS might be overwhelming for some people.