samfisher

Recommend a small wireless camera?

What's a good balance between small size and decent color quality for indoor recording on a wireless 1.2 or 2.4 camera? I want to be able to recognize faces.

I Second that

Anyway, Professional cameras dont come in wireless, those would be the OEM s like COP, MACE, ECLIPSE, etc, cheap stuff, so you dot get a great image. 1.2 and 2.4 would be the same quality, depends on the camera itself, not the transmission. For professional grade wireless you would be looking at the following, then you can add it to any CCTV camera:

www.videotransmitters.com

www.trangosys.com

HAHA. I think the landscaping company that mow my lawns are Union actually, at least they all hop out of the bed of the same truck and all speak the same language(espanol). About the same as Union isn't it?

No, that would be non-union. You know, like your hires...this Country is going to heck.

see yall need more bahamians ..

DataAve, which side of the tracks you from in LI ..?

anyway back to the topic ... if you do get wireless, make sure you stay far away from X10.

see yall need more bahamians ..

...as long as you keep those twist on things there.

i want them pressure tool thingies ...can yah send me one

i lived in Freeport, Baldwin (couple blocks from Joey), and Wantagh ..

back in the day ..

Absolutely, just send me a check or money order in the amount of $10,000 US and I will hook you up, bud.

Absolutely, just send me a check or money order in the amount of $10,000 US and I will hook you up, bud.

no prob, ill send you a check tomorrow, from my "bank de haiti" account ...

i lived in Freeport, Baldwin (couple blocks from Joey), and Wantagh ..

back in the day ..

I do alot of fishing around Freeport and my boss is from Wantagh.

Yeah, Wantagh was nice, any side of the tracks .. freeport was a different story .. rockville center was where we use to hang alot .. and i use to ride my ninja into the city alot ..

Wireless and Security don't mix...like Ice Cream and Pickles.

I beg to differ. Just seems not too many people can figure out how to make it work properly.

I've seen some pretty intresting wireless IP set ups. 60 cameras, multiple AC's, encrypted with a mesh network. They used some of Panasonic's wireless IP cameras. Pretty decent picture quality without some of the common problems if analogue wireless.

Ive seen wireless IP camera set up down here with Axis cameras, motorolla canapy thing, and some custom IP server from Cannetticut installed by some guys from up in CT, terrible quality .. compressed video over the wireless lan .. waste of money. Not only did they not have a clue about video quality, they couldnt even mount the cameras in housngs properly, they were too far back showing the camera housing on most of them.

Doesnt match the quality of wired video .. and if wireless is the only choice, Point to point or nothing ..!

Our entire system runs on wireless. Some PTP, some PTMP. Some links are over 10 miles, some are 2 miles. We see nearly no difference from the cameras being tested on our wired LAN, than when we put them out on site.

Like I said, not too many people can figure out how to make it work properly.

BTW- Motorolla Canopy is garbage for video transmission (not to mention too expensive for what you get).

Wireless IP, or Point to Point Wireless Video? Are you getting compression issues with quality, over the IP network?

We were going to go with VideoComm real time wireless video, high quality, but managed to talk the clientinto using wired from camera to camera, and then a DVR in each main remote location, then using Multi Site Remote Software for the DVR at the monitoring side. Just cheaper than multiple large towers for the wireless to shoot over the trees and hills. A tower here costs around $10 landed and installed, gotta be a strong tower for the hurricane season. I see an advantage in areas where you already have Wireless towers installed (but then you could use Video Comm or Trango gear) or for cheaper, if wireless internet is already installed .. here that is not an option as we dont have any .. Cable is in the Area so we will just use Cable Internet.

The one wireless IP system I saw here, done by a company from CT, USA, was terrible, well, it was normal low compression like you see on cameras over the internet. They did have some custom software though as well(very basic limited software), which didnt help, it had VB errors striaght through, with barely any options . .. at least they could have used something like LuxRiot or something else that is good .. obviously the client paid an arm and a leg for something that cost the seller, next to nothing ... i know ive never heard of the company they used ... except the axis cameras .. but then they used $10 housings! But the main issue was, they could have gone wired as it was a small gated community, even some were just across the road which is being dug up all the time anyway, or at least used the VideoComm high quality wireless.

I still dont see a point to using IP systems (exceot for remote video), when you can run cable and use a DVR CCTV system, which is higher quality, with more options and stability in most cases. Even if its a case of using existing UTP/Cat5, then there is NVT

Rory

We operate in many different setups. Some off of repeater stations and back to our bases (in our coverage areas), some to remote stations and through the internet.

Obviously there is always a tradeoff with quality, as it dependant on bandwidth. Through leveraging more modern encoding technics, we generally get 20-30 fps with very good quality.

I completely agree, when you can run wire-- you should. You can't beat the quality. There will always be a huge market for standard CCTV systems.

The mainstay behind IP CCTV, at least for us, is portable, temperary surveillance operations, and covert operations. The market share of our clients are home developers, so our systems are put out in the middle of a field with no coax, no copper, and generally no power. So we have to run off of wireless and solar.

We are however, doing some car lots now and are looking at some wired stuff possibly, as they are permanent installs.

Back to question

If you absolutely must use wireless (sometimes unavoidable) use a wireless transmitter/receiver kit that you can use with any camera.

This allows you to use the best possible camera for the circumstances.