johnty

Tutorial: Watch cctv remotely. Even with no networking

OK First of all I recently started using CCTV and that was the reason I came to this forum looking for specific information which I very happy that a forum member SOUNDY really helped me put on the right path..

I am no installer but am a business owner and ver much into computers so obviously my main aim was to do it really in cheap the whole thing.

OK now I am going to share my remote viewing tricks and tips..

The idea is to steam your desktop. i.e. what you see on your desktop will be broadcast to your online channel.

Requirements:

computer is connected to the internet.

Download http://www.livestream.com/platform/procasterlivestream procaster

How to:

First thing first.

Step 1: Register on Livestream. its easy like youtube, remember your username/password, Create channel & check you email to confirm your account

Step 2: Install Procaster on your computer.

Step 4: Run Procaster, enter your username/password.

Step 5: Click on Desktop [you can change setting in Preference IMPORTANT: There is 1GB recording space for FREE. Uncheck Record my stream if you do not want to] and then Press "GO LIVE". thats it

Step 6: Minimize all windows and Maximize your CCTV video window.

If you have DVR with no networking. fear not.

Option 1: if you have 4 camera

A: Get a cheap 4 channel USB easycap like this sku_11127_1-1.jpgGoogle Images Search

Option 2: If you have more than 4 cameras:

A: Get a cheap PC with internet access.

B: Get a data capture device like EASYCAP (about £5 in UK on amazon/ebay)like this 41VCRLHdA5L_SL500_AA300_-1.jpg

Youtube Google Images Search,

C: Get a converter cable like "VGA to S-VGA" or VGA to RCA" or BNC to RCA cable etc. i.e. video out port on your DVR which needs to be connector to esapcap.

D: Plug your DVR, with that TV OUT cable to easycap via S-VGA or RCA.

E: Then follow step 1 to 6 above.

Check out my channel

http://www.livestream.com/mrchips

You can see it is Fully secure. No body can see where your business is...

you can have more than one channels it is all free...

You can remove all the chat windows etc on your channel account setting online. like I did..

EDIT: As pointed out by cctvtom. to get rid of ads on your channel

USE Firefox or Chrome browser with AdblockPlus addon plugin and you'll never see an ad.. when watching your channel online..

Edited by Guest

seems to be an easy solution but i would not recommend that you install this on a pc based dvr. read the aggrement to adds and pop-ups ....... why put a security system at risk

I thought you would know however you mentioned it so I'll say for everybody benefit.

USE Firefox or Chrome with Adblock Plus addon plugin and you'll never see an ad.. with watching your channel online..

same trick work on YouTube too.. give it a try.

I thought you would know however you mentioned it so I'll say for everybody benefit.

USE Firefox or Chrome with Adblock Plus addon plugin and you'll never see an ad.. with watching your channel online..

thats fine for remote viewing. am on about to your pc (dvr) from livestream. why give your security dvr info away

The Information Livestream Collects:

Information You Provide: You may provide to Livestream what is generally called "personally identifiable" information (such as your name, email address, credit card number, postal mailing address, and telephone numbers) if you use certain services or products from the Livestream Service, enter contests or sweepstakes, or otherwise use the features and functionality of the Livestream Service.

“Automatically Collected“ Information: When you access the Livestream Service (including through your computer or your mobile device) or open one of our HTML emails, we may automatically record certain information from your system by using different types of tracking technology. This “automatically collected“ information may include Internet Protocol address ("IP Address"), a unique user ID, version of software installed, system type, the content and pages that you access on the Livestream Service, and the dates and times that you visit the Livestream Service.

“Cookies“ Information: When you access the Livestream Service, we may send one or more cookies . small text files containing a string of alphanumeric characters . to your computer. Livestream may use both session cookies and persistent cookies. A session cookie disappears after you close your browser. A persistent cookie remains after you close your browser and may be used by your browser on subsequent visits to the Livestream Service. Persistent cookies can be removed. Please review your web browser "Help" file to learn the best way to modify your cookie settings.

“Pixel Tags“ or “Clear Gifs“ A pixel tag, also known as a clear GIF or web beacon, is an invisible tag placed on certain pages of our Livestream Service but not on your computer. When you access these pages, pixel tags generate a generic notice of that visit. They usually work in conjunction with cookies, registering when a particular computer visits a particular page. If you turn off cookies the pixel tag will simply detect an anonymous website visit.

thats fine for remote viewing. am on about to your pc (dvr) from livestream. why give your security dvr info away

The Information Livestream Collects:

Information You Provide: You may provide to Livestream what is generally called "personally identifiable" information (such as your name, email address, credit card number, postal mailing address, and telephone numbers) if you use certain services or products from the Livestream Service, enter contests or sweepstakes, or otherwise use the features and functionality of the Livestream Service.

“Automatically Collected“ Information: When you access the Livestream Service (including through your computer or your mobile device) or open one of our HTML emails, we may automatically record certain information from your system by using different types of tracking technology. This “automatically collected“ information may include Internet Protocol address ("IP Address"), a unique user ID, version of software installed, system type, the content and pages that you access on the Livestream Service, and the dates and times that you visit the Livestream Service.

“Cookies“ Information: When you access the Livestream Service, we may send one or more cookies . small text files containing a string of alphanumeric characters . to your computer. Livestream may use both session cookies and persistent cookies. A session cookie disappears after you close your browser. A persistent cookie remains after you close your browser and may be used by your browser on subsequent visits to the Livestream Service. Persistent cookies can be removed. Please review your web browser "Help" file to learn the best way to modify your cookie settings.

“Pixel Tags“ or “Clear Gifs“ A pixel tag, also known as a clear GIF or web beacon, is an invisible tag placed on certain pages of our Livestream Service but not on your computer. When you access these pages, pixel tags generate a generic notice of that visit. They usually work in conjunction with cookies, registering when a particular computer visits a particular page. If you turn off cookies the pixel tag will simply detect an anonymous website visit.

first of all it FREE.

you do NOT have to give your correct details.

They do NOT ask for your credit card/address/DOB.

Only thing they ask for is choose username and give an email address so you can confirm your account by clicking a link. same info like here on cctvforum.

The T&C you copied and paste are a standard these days just check CCTVFORUM t&c or most importantly check Google's T&C I am sure you will stop using Google, Apple and Microsoft even internet if you take there t&C to the heart

The only thing they know about is your IP.

Your broadcast is fully secure i.e. there is not indication where it is coming from unless you specifically put you business info on the channel.

NB:Some things are only good for private use, (in your case assuming you are installer) it doesn't make business sense for you to offer these to your clients.

first of all you have learn it yourself and then train your clients which will only take your extra time.

I know these are not permanent solutions but good things to know and can be used for emergencies by certain indivisuals..

Hmmm, neat toy, but I don't think I'd sell it as a "replacement" for a proper remote client. Slow to load, super-fuzzy (looks like it's severely downscaled for transmission, then up-scaled again for streaming), and non-interactive.

Not for me .. i'd use a remote client first... but either way it is another option, especially for non Windows users. Ive seen the same on other sites also like Justin.tv, quality is always very low though.

If you really wanted to go this route, It seems to me that you would get better video quality by logging onto your computer using something like Logmein. Thats free to and plus you will have control.

Best Quality can be selected when broadcasting.

I have set it up for a friend in his shop

check this for better quality (I have not selected high quality here)

this cctv can still be accessed remotely via client.

http://www.livestream.com/singhtv

for justin and uptream etc you have to install a virtual cam like manycam which capture your desktop and can be selected as cam when broadcasting over justin etc. which obviously scale down the resolution and not very pleasant to watch.

with Livestream Procaster however the virtual cam is built-in so you can CHOOSE the quality upto BEST in free version.

I know it is still not the best option but can be used a backup and you do not have to download/run client software in remote computers like in CAFE watch your cctv.

Like SOUNDY says it is nice toy

you don't have to play with but someone else might like it.

Personally I'd would install it on any CCTV system.. your clients will like it too.

LogMeIN: not my thing..

Try TeamVieweryou do not need an account..

Does not need installation either.

look for a portable one to keep on your USB drive

Stuff about web services and such

Don't most DVRs and NVR's these days come with their own FREE remote viewing software?

And surely, if you're going to go to this length, wouldn't remote desktop be a much more viable function which means you don't have to fiddle with dongle things.

Don't most DVRs and NVR's these days come with their own FREE remote viewing software?

And surely, if you're going to go to this length, wouldn't remote desktop be a much more viable function which means you don't have to fiddle with dongle things.

I think it is aimed more as an option, such as when you are in a webcafe .you dont have to install ActiveX controls or any software. Typically wont see the live video on a PC DVR with a remote desktop/vnc, but also cant remote desktop or vnc into a stand alone DVR unless it has that software for it.