rory

Anyone used the GV-VS04A MPEG4 Video Server

Im looking at this as an idea for a client who has 4 x 16 channel Geovision DVRs right now, all channels taken up.

Do you know if this will work with version 8.33 without paying for a dongle or any other licensing? Id like to just add 4x CNB VBM-24VF domes and this would be a cheaper/easier option than a whole new DVR or IP Domes.

But I would like to know if the video quality is any good on them?

Any feedback is appreciated.

Thanks

It should work no problems. We use these constantly, all their mini servers. Since they are "GeoVision" devices you don't need 3rd party licenses. We actually have a DVR that has no physical cameras connected. We have 9 IP cameras and then 2 mini servers hooked up.

Now he has 16 existing cameras, i can't say for certain how the numbering will work. Im ASSUMING that when you go to add 4 ip cameras for example, it'll go to spots 17-20... have never tested this though, but it SHOULD. If anything upgrading to 8.4 should allow that expansion.

But again ive never tried it, lol. But the licensing answer should help you.

As for video quality... looks like the cameras physically connected, i never notice a difference honestly. The only downside is that it is giong over IP and is subject to video loss if network goes down, but other then that, they are good. I use them all the time, actually i use them very VERY often. We use a range of standard 320x240 resolutions and even 720x480 with some client who want bigger pictures. Works fine. You even bet PTZ controls.

They are nifty little devices because some of them give you I/O as well which is great. I think you can even hookup a USB storage device if im not mistaken

It should work no problems.

Now he has 16 existing cameras, i can't say for certain how the numbering will work. Im ASSUMING that when you go to add 4 ip cameras for example, it'll go to spots 17-20... have never tested this though, but it SHOULD. If anything upgrading to 8.4 should allow that expansion. Correct.