Sign in to follow this  
shropna

In Car (mobile) ANPR camera

So, anyone has experience with that cameras?

I need to build system for Police car with dual (front and rear) ANPR cameras. Of course, should work day/naight, etc....

Any suggestions?

I need to build system for Police car with dual (front and rear) ANPR cameras. Of course, should work day/naight, etc....

Any suggestions?

So, any suggestions?

Any suggestions?

if you mean a true ANPR then the first thing you are going to need is the database link from the DMV or DVLA

depends were you are ??

first thing, ask for a detailed specification from your customer (they may have some unreasonable expectations), if they don't have, and don't know what they really need, draw a spec for them.

An In car ANPR system could be monster which can cover 4-5 lanes and cost more than 70K euro (really fancy one may use a 16M full frame 35mm CCD sensor and works with a powerful tailored flash) or a cheapie which cost less than 1K and works just a little bit better than a dummy camera.

Software, you might need to find some 3rd party ANPR software, most them should come with a database and support some data management function, for example, print/issue ticket...

One important issue is the image/video interface of the software, some of them only support 768x576 (actually only 768x288 pixel is used ), some of them may support larger format, that means you can choose some high definition camera.

Illumination is another challenge, I don't think there is any built-in illuminatior has a range more than 15 m . you might need a separate illumintor .

For the camera, as a gold standard, to get a decent recognition rate, the width of number plate should be more than 120 pixel, that means the picture of 768x288pix can only cover the head area of vehicle, it would be very difficult if not possible to capture the face of driver ( in some country, the driver face is a must for a bookable ticket).

Triggering device, most of 3rd party ANPR software should come with video triggering function, however it won't be as reliable as radar or laser and wont' provide reliable speed information. and laser/radar =more cost.

Visible light or IR, Colour or B/W are two important issues as well. Colour picture with the illumination of visible light is attractive, however, it may cause some road safety problem and may be banned by authority. Colour at daytime and B/W at night with IR seems a good compromise, but you will have to choose a camera with switchable filter and a REAL IR corrected lens.

Mounting adaptor( for camea illuminator and in-car computer), such metal parts may cost every more than the camera ( an analogue camera), since you might have to order the customized one from your local supplier.

first thing, ask for a detailed specification from your customer (they may have some unreasonable expectations), if they don't have, and don't know what they really need, draw a spec for them.

An In car ANPR system could be monster which can cover 4-5 lanes and cost more than 70K euro (really fancy one may use a 16M full frame 35mm CCD sensor and works with a powerful tailored flash) or a cheapie which cost less than 1K and works just a little bit better than a dummy camera.

Software, you might need to find some 3rd party ANPR software, most them should come with a database and support some data management function, for example, print/issue ticket...

One important issue is the image/video interface of the software, some of them only support 768x576 (actually only 768x288 pixel is used ), some of them may support larger format, that means you can choose some high definition camera.

Illumination is another challenge, I don't think there is any built-in illuminatior has a range more than 15 m . you might need a separate illumintor .

For the camera, as a gold standard, to get a decent recognition rate, the width of number plate should be more than 120 pixel, that means the picture of 768x288pix can only cover the head area of vehicle, it would be very difficult if not possible to capture the face of driver ( in some country, the driver face is a must for a bookable ticket).

Triggering device, most of 3rd party ANPR software should come with video triggering function, however it won't be as reliable as radar or laser and wont' provide reliable speed information. and laser/radar =more cost.

Visible light or IR, Colour or B/W are two important issues as well. Colour picture with the illumination of visible light is attractive, however, it may cause some road safety problem and may be banned by authority. Colour at daytime and B/W at night with IR seems a good compromise, but you will have to choose a camera with switchable filter and a REAL IR corrected lens.

Mounting adaptor( for camea illuminator and in-car computer), such metal parts may cost every more than the camera ( an analogue camera), since you might have to order the customized one from your local supplier.

Hm, Baylab.

Yes, customer waiting specification, of course. Just some requirements.

In car ANPR not should be "monster" for 4-5 lines. Leave this work for stationary mounted cameras....

Also, 16 MP CCD can capture max 3-5 FPS now, so, will not work, or work worse in real situation. Also, i'm should "cut" lots of vertical unnecessary pixels in this case, so, four Full HD 16:9 cameras can do more, than one 16 MP Also, customer needs one line - just front and back of police car.

Also, for ANPR, illuminator should be synced with camera capturing, if you want capture only number plates, not all picture. Actually, ANPR cameras use 25 Hz pulsed LED, synced with camera fields... For "scene and driver face" picture better way is color camera, with constant illumination, or, "native" scene illumination, but this is not required.. Actually, customer wants automatic find cars with no insurance, no TUV, etc.... ANPR engine will be always synced with database of cars....

About mounting adapters - not problem in our country, I'm also able manufacture them (I build Lotus 7 replica myself )