Razesdark

Which switches do you use ? And why ?

I'm making this topic because I'm looking for some information regarding switches.

We have a large network set out at the moment using Netgear and Moxa switches.

Sadly, the Moxa switches we use have fibre inputs and are able to create a nice network ring but don't go further then 10/100 ports

I want to replace all the moxa's in our network for 10/100/1000 port switches and make it more dependable for the future and make full use of the fibres.

I was already looking at the GSM7328Sv2 switches for example. I like them due to the fact that they're stackable.

But I once heard of people from Bosch that IP CCTV requires certain functions in large network switches. Mostly due to multicasting.

So I was wondering. What kind of switches have you used so far ? How big was the network you used it in. And why did you choose that particular switch and/or brand?

First, you should look, what exactly protocols will use you video system. Then choose switches. Yes, when you have multicast, "any" sw. will not work, just flood all ports.....

Some systems, as Pelco Endura, requires Layer 3 SW., because different VLANS and routing between them is necessary for correct system functionality.

In "big" systems i'm use Extreme Networks SW..

Keep in mind that there are no network cameras (yet, anyway, that I'm aware of) that have or even require gigabit ports on them... and your stack of 10/100 switches with fiber uplinks are ideal for dedicating to camera use. Aside from the Layer 3 support for SOME cameras (not all require it), the only other nice-to-have item is PoE support to power the cameras.

other nice-to-have item is PoE support to power the cameras.

+1

Also, I would not pay a high premium to get bleeding edge switch technology unless there is an immediate payoff. If gigabit cameras become common in several years, it will be relatively easy to add a gigabit switch, when prices will be lower.

Best,

Christopher

other nice-to-have item is PoE support to power the cameras.

+1

Also, I would not pay a high premium to get bleeding edge switch technology unless there is an immediate payoff. If gigabit cameras become common in several years, it will be relatively easy to add a gigabit switch, when prices will be lower.

Best,

Christopher

Guys, stop thing only about speed and PoE.... Yep, GigE protocol cameras (this is not network speed) You "hear" about that....

You can thing about this, if you have lots of cameras and one control room. If you system will have lots of NVR's, control rooms also, sw choosing will be more complex...

First! Read, study and understood network diagram, and protocols. Second, choose sw.

But, if You have 16 cameras and one workstation - forget this....

Perhaps I can shed some light on the situation then.

We have a large ring of glass fibre on our entire plant. Our plant size is roughly 16 km² in size.

Of this ring I have several branches of fibre.

Each of the nodes of the ring is placed in a factory and the brances are within the factories themselves.

Our security controll centre is one of the nodes as well. They monitor somewhat of a 90 camera's at the moment and is graduatly increasing. All coming from DVR's placed on the network.

Now at the moment the DVR's are placed in 3 different places and I want to place them all at 1 spot. This is also the place I wish to replace the switch due to the fact that the current one only has 12 ports and it isn't enough.

But the whole network was build by someone with no network knowledge prior to his building. (we have IP's such as 80.80.80.1 or 20.20.20.24). So I'm in doubt in how reliable the network is at the moment.

Now, due to lack of knowledge we got Bosch to build us a IP system in one of our factory using the BVMS solution. In their engineering they planned a Core switch. Now I think this is personally a tad overdone, but it's planned to have 200 camera's in the end on the entire system within that one factory. But it did gave me something to think about. Hence me starting this topic

Ive been using the Dell Switches for my bigger stuff the last 6 years and love them. I was a cisco guy but in my new job we couldn't afford them.

Using 5300's and 5400's for most of my network linked with gb fiber and 3400p/3500p's for my big poe switches for phones and cameras. I do have a couple linksys/cisco SRW208P doing poe also

Now, due to lack of knowledge we got Bosch to build us a IP system in one of our factory using the BVMS solution. In their engineering they planned a Core switch. Now I think this is personally a tad overdone, but it's planned to have 200 camera's in the end on the entire system within that one factory. But it did gave me something to think about. Hence me starting this topic

You should thing about spanning tree topology ( http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Spanning_Tree_Protocol ) in this network.

Also, switches should support IGMP snooping for multicast. And, when you use BVMS, try to avoid routing, port forwarding....

Bosh use lots of random ports

Here BVMS topology with iSCSI recording:

VRM.thumb.jpg.a40fe9ca59102cddbff82e954c1e71a2.jpg