This is my fist post so....

I manage a large condo in Virginia. We've ordered (and received) GVI GV-NC-201VAH cameras for the garages. The plan is to run a conduit containing both CAT5e and 120vac to a junction box near each camera. The junction box will have an outlet for the 12VDC adapter. Then the CAT5e and the 12VDC line will run in a short section of conduit to the camera. However, after reading other posts about running 120vac and data in the same conduit, I'm wondering if we should run the CAT5e and a line carrying 12vac in the same conduit. The install is entirely inside the garages with max cable run of about 225 feet.

You help and suggestions are welcomed. Thanks!

I manage a large condo in Virginia. We've ordered (and received) GVI GV-NC-201VAH cameras for the garages. The plan is to run a conduit containing both CAT5e and 120vac to a junction box near each camera. The junction box will have an outlet for the 12VDC adapter. Then the CAT5e and the 12VDC line will run in a short section of conduit to the camera. However, after reading other posts about running 120vac and data in the same conduit, I'm wondering if we should run the CAT5e and a line carrying 12vac in the same conduit. The install is entirely inside the garages with max cable run of about 225 feet.

do you not have power in the garages to power your cameras local. and just use your cat5 for your ip camera.

do you not have power in the garages to power your cameras local. and just use your cat5 for your ip camera.

Great question, Tom. Yes, we do have power in the garages but we're powering everything - cameras, bridges, monitors and computers - from UPS's as a precaution.

Great question, Tom. Yes, we do have power in the garages but we're powering everything - cameras, bridges, monitors and computers - from UPS's as a precaution.

if you are protecting everything with UPSs then you will save with going POE with good switcher. then you will not need UPSs for your cameras.

if you are protecting everything with UPSs then you will save with going POE with good switcher. then you will not need UPSs for your cameras.

Tom, the cameras each need 20 watts of power for the built-in heater and blower. That's why I was thinking of running 120vac to a junction box for each camera. The box would contain an outlet for the 12VDC adapter. Also, we'll run CAT5e through the junction box, and into the camera. Each box will be mounted to the ceiling. We'll use pipe to hang the camera from the box.

As I said in another thread, running high and low voltage in the some conduit is contrary to pretty much every electrical code in the Western world. DON'T DO IT.

These cameras, from what I can find, are IP cameras that support Power-over-Ethernet, so go that way and avoid a bunch of hassle. If you have eight or fewer cameras, use a Cisco SFE-1000P switch - eight 10/100 PoE ports and two gigabit ports for the DVR/NVR (and NAS if required).

If you really want to run power separately, run some 18/2 or 16/2 through the conduit and power them with 24VAC (you'll see too much voltage drop at 12V).

If you absolutely MUST run 120VAC to the cameras, put it in a separate conduit from the low-voltage.

That looks like a pretty cool camera, Ive never seen them before but the specs look pretty cool.

But aside from that, I guess I am still confused on why you would need to run 120 VAC to the cameras at all. It would seem much simpler to run 18/2 wire to the cameras and just power it with a 24 VAC power supply as Soundy said. You could always use a 28 VAC power supply if you are concerned about that long power run, but I have ran longer runs than 225' with a regular 24 VAC power supply that have powered a heater or fan and a camera simultaneously without any problems.

If you really want to run power separately, run some 18/2 or 16/2 through the conduit and power them with 24VAC (you'll see too much voltage drop at 12V).

Or 14/2 or 12/2, depending on the distance. I agree - NEVER run 120VAC and low voltage cabling in the same conduit. Besides violating electrical codes, you're setting yourself up for a multitude of potential problems, including interference, grounding issues and the potential for electrocution!

What are you using to record these cameras?

We've got two dual core computers, each with 4GB of RAM and a 500GB drive.

Thanks to your help and suggestions (thanks ), we'll run 24vac to the cameras.

Thanks!

Mark

can you put the switch in the garage and run one cat 5 back to server. Then use the poe or central power supply in the garage. That would give you short runs where maybe you could get by with 16/2 for power. Ditto on the seperate conduit.

Thanks!

Mark

What VMS software?

Thanks!

Mark

What VMS software?

We're trying the NCH Eyeline suite. I've done a lot of research on VMS for these cameras, and this seems to be the best compromise.

With 20w a camera I can understand going with a separate power supply a lot of switches are only rated for 15w per port.

Beside even after buying the extra cable it can be cheaper than a POE switch sometimes.

24vAC over 70m(225f) is going to have a volt drop of around 1.6v if you use 24/02 fig8. Most AC transformers sit a volt or 2 higher than their rating so with a 24v transformer you will be fine.

12vdc has a lot smaller tolerance and you would be too low at the far end unless you went for bigger cable.