ProposalmanJ

Non-security related benefits of surveillance

Hey guys,

I was just wondering what other useful purposes a surveillance system could serve, such as providing data for market research? That's really all that I can come up with.

Hey guys,

I was just wondering what other useful purposes a surveillance system could serve, such as providing data for market research? That's really all that I can come up with.

i dont see how cctv is used for market reseach. cctv is usefull in many ways not just to catch the bad boys. it can also help protect your company in many ways.

say in a warehouse. you have a member of staff playing around on a folklift truck it hits a rack system that falls onto someone and kills them. without cctv it would be hard to say if it was a a bad rack system that caused the death or an idiot on a forklift truck.

if you have a shop selling liquor. you have an age restriction. the police call to your store and say they have just talked with a 14 year old down the street drinking beer he says he bought from your store. without cctv you are going to have a hard time proving he did not buy it from your store.

you just look at cctv being a secound set of eyes watching 24/7

Well... it COULD be used for market research in a store if your using loitering detection analytics to determine where people linger.

Also can be used for worker's comp situations, i.e. slip and falls, etc.

It can be used for alot of things. Anything that you would need a video camera with or that you can think of, people will need surveillance. The main reason I have my home system setup is to view whats going around in my yard without having to look out the window, I can also view whats going on at my house from here at my work.

I saw a report about a year ago about the development of a system that tracked customers in a store and used analytics to try and determine if and when customers needed assistance from the sales staff. There are times when customers want to browse on their own and there are times when customers want to be approached by a sales person to provide assistance. This system was being designed to address that issue.

Best,

Christopher

I have cameras watching our street and a construction site across the street, because some of the workers have taken to just dumping their garbage out the doors of the cars - including a pair of track pants that look like they were destroyed by a nail, a broken tape measure, and several instances of uneaten lunches... of course, nobody's done it since I started recording, but the next time someone does, the site super is getting a very unpleasant visit.

On a friendlier note we have systems in a two-square-block crane yard, and a smaller satellite yard in another town, that record for security purposes, but are also accessed by the dispatchers to check on the locations of people and equipment - like, "#22 done unloading yet?" (zoom in) "Nope, not quite..." "Okay, get him on that next call when he is".

Yes as bean said, tracking where people linger. Or to provide statistics to potential advertisers on traffic in an area, such as peak times, demographics, really how ever you want to analyse the data collected by a video camera.

perhaps collecting data on when and under what conditions people fool around on lift trucks to identify what the driving temptation is and eliminate it, for example. Or in a shopping mall, track how many people go directly from Greasy Joe's Chili, to the wash room , or any other sequences.

Just some ideas to make the most out of the data collected which I suppose is the real purpose of a surveillance system.

CCTV has tons of uses other than just having evidence of the bad guys!

I love having a CCTV system at my house. Some reasons:

Figuring out odd things that happen while your gone. Solves those "who keeps doing this! " questions

-Who the heck keeps throwing beer bottles near my driveway (was a neighborhood kid, no good intentions!)

-Who keeps leaving a 'burn-out' trail in my gravel driveway (was a crazy Fed-Ex driver!)

-Who trespassing on my property (path through woods) to get to road on other side (were some jokers in a golf cart)

Also, provides a good laugh. Check out some of Scruits videos, (on youtube)!!! I love the "hellllooooo!" one. I always laugh when I see it.

I also use it as a deterrent before something happens. Having a box camera in a prominent outdoor enclosure right at the front of your driveway with a sign below it saying "SMILE!! " works wonders. Because they are like, "crap...they've already got a picture of me..." You won't believe how many people look at the camera forever, then look around everywhere, and promptly leave!

Hey guys,

There are a ton of situations where video analytics can provide valuable market research. You can count the number of people in and out of a doorway, you can detect positioning throughout a sales floor. There are a ton of different applications.

Getting email for package delivery. +1 figuring things out around the house (Birdman: enjoyed the Scruit videos). Videos of USPS and UPS tossing packages on the front porch - around Christmas time they were really letting them have it. Animals around the house - never would have known about the foxes or the deer that walked right across our driveway. Things that go bump in the night - all on a web page on any computer.

Aside from gathering evidence of Anti Social behaviour and criminal damage:.

My neighbour has expressed an interest in watching the activities of the three birds nests in the trees

at the front. We have formulated a project of adding some bird boxes and other measures to encourage

as many species as possible and installing cameras to watch the nesting boxes and mini cameras inside

the nesting boxes when the young are hatched.

Also last time I called a drain unblocking service they put a CCTV camera down the drain to find if the ceramic

drain pipe has broken or is just blocked. After unblocking, they were able to see all the way to the public sewer.

The same type of CCTV is used in surgical procedures such as endoscopy. (Hopefully the surgeon's drains never

get blocked )

I watched the Bomb squad sending a robot to look over a suspect vehicle and a CCTV camera served as the

robot's eyes to look over and into a suspect vehicle before deciding what to do.

I know that factories, especially food factories use CCTV to monitor machinery and manufacturing processes, especially

where machines have been troublesome.

Farmers use CCTV during Lambing season, Calving season, foaling and zoos monitoring females of all species about to give birth

Monitoring nanny or babysitters.

If you want some fun stick a coin £1 0r 25cents to the paving slab (sidewalk) with strong superglue and watch people

trying to pick it up, but don't break a rib laughing or you'll be watching the ambulance arrive too.

Fire engines in our city all have CCTV and record everything around the fire appliance. Arsonists are often identified at the

scene of several fires and the fire brigade intelligence units examine the footage from arson with similar MO 's etc.

They look for individuals in crowds who are at several fires,

We've all seen police car-chase videos, and insurance companies give motorists discounts for having CCTV in their cars

(Accident cams I think they call it)

Military units now use UMDs (unmanned drone) for reconnaissance in war zones like Afganistan etc rather than send personnel

and these send back wireless footage, police are now using UMDs for crowd control at sports events etc (cheaper than Helicopter.

Police helicopters have CCTV a sort of manned PTZ with IR heat cameras.

Addendum: I just got into bed and thought of another. Victoria Stillwell the dog trainer uses CCTV for various purposes in her training of dogs.

You know "It's me or the Dog" on TV. Back to bed now I think.

Can't think of any more but there must be hundreds

I use it to see who is at the front door without having to get out of bed on a sunday morning.

If you can get them all to wear badges with their names on, you'll know who they are!

examples:

Jehovah's witness, Milkman, Long lost uncle Bill etc etc.