not neccasarily CCTV related 100% but some useful info for some ..

http://www.universal-radio.com/catalog/cable/1194.html

http://www.strongsignals.net/access/content/co-ax.html

http://www.connectorsplusinc.com/CONNECTIGHT%20TYPE%20CONNECTORS.htm

also, what are the coax connectors that Cable TV uses?? cause those suckers last outside .. i also need to replace one i cut outside my window when checking the line ..

Rory,

Up here, the cable company uses compression type F-connectors (the type with threads that you screw on to the TV). The compression part is good, but f-connectors ARE NOT designed to maintain the 75 ohm impedance that CCTV requires.

We just got in our first batch of BNC compression fittings. It took a couple of trys to get the hang of it. We used a two bladed stripper (the same type as for twist on's, although we don't use twist-on's except for emergencies).

Pros: Goes on fairly easy. Looks good. Seems to very secure.

Cons: Longer than crimp style.

Edited by Guest

Rory,

Up here, the cable company uses compression type F-connectors (the type with threads that you screw on to the TV). The compression part is good, but f-connectors are designed to maintain the 75 ohm impedance that CCTV requires.

We just got in our first batch of BNC compression fittings. It took a couple of trys to get the hang of it. We used a two bladed stripper (the same type as for twist on's, although we don't use twist-on's except for emergencies).

Pros: Goes on fairly easy. Looks good. Seems to very secure.

Cons: Longer than crimp style.

I may want to buy compression tools and fittings from you ... are you open to that idea?

thanks

Rory

So are you now using crimps instead or the twist ons?

I like the idea of the twist ons because you don’t need the crimping tools.

What crimps and crimpers do you recommend?

I just re-read my post from several months ago. It should have stated that F-connectors DO NOT maintain the 75 ohm impedence that CCTV signals need.

I hope I didn't mislead anyone.

are you talking about snap and seal when you are talking about compression fittings I looked at snap and seal and it was about 5.00 per connector. We have been having problems with 2 piece bnc crimps and would like to go to something more foolproof

Foolproof, no such thing.

Put them on, use a compression crimper for them.

I guess snap and seal?

5.00 for each connector.

Twist ons are sounding better all the time. More foolproof and cheaper.

Welding, Arc or Gas?

I recently started using compression. They either dont work or they are stuck on there. They are expensive but there is no connector that is barely working they either are 100% or 0%.

You think maybe it is the tool(s) or compression type fittings you are using?

What tool(s) and fittings are you using?

We go to ISCWEST in Vegas every year and they have a variety of different people selling or reselling these ends and tools.

I did my homework and the dirty work of the twist ons and the crimp ons are just too much of a pain in the ass, with the multiple connector and pins and sleeves! Fagetaboutit!

Now hear this!

http://www.milestek.com/shop/product.asp?id=40%2040350&cid=&kwd=&l=&p=

Is the best on the market. I have a contact there as we spent thousands of dollars there already. Tat price listed is a little higher, I think they cost us about $75 bux for the MAC DADDY OF BNC TOOLS.

The connectors are from F-CONN, which they sell in packs of 100 and are about $1.20 - $1.80 each one, depending on how many you buy, but listen up kiddies, no more problems.

They also sell this - http://www.milestek.com/shop/product.asp?id=40%2011412&cid=&kwd=&l=&p=

Never fails!

If your ready to toss your TUMS BOTTLE away get these connectors.

http://www.milestek.com/search.asp?skw=MPWCNFC01&color=AB1DA1

Your all very wlecome!

ADAM!

is it just me .. i use some small cutters ive had for years and they work perfect for stripping RG59 .. takes a second and even less time to secure a twist on that you can literally hang from, and no problems with them in 5 years .. maybe i just do it so much that it comes natural now

Ive also stripped cable with scissors, knifes, and flat head screw drivers (only when i didnt have the cutters and very rare) .. not as easy as the cutters but still perfect none the less. Im going to go outside now and attack some RG59 with my machete and let you know how that one works out

after that, i think ill try my teeth

I've been looking into switching to compression connectors instead of crimp, but price still seems to be a big issue. Does anyone know of a place that sells the compression bnc's for around .75 or less if we buy 5-10,000 at a time??

Those compression style connectors suck. I was using the same ones from Liberty Wire & Cable. It was 50-50 if the center conductor found its way into the tip. Many crimps had to be redone after we connected to the DVR and there was no video. Back up the ladder again. Not fun. Many times you had to redo the crimps on both ends because you didnt know which end was bad.

I contacted Liberty Wire & Cable and all they offered was lame excuses. This picture is a failed connector I sectioned. The "Z-ed" center conductor is plainly visible. www.consumers-energy.com/ebay/bnc.jpg

Compression style crimps are very intolerant of variations in jacket diameters which vary from manufacturer. However I found even using Liberty's RG-59 the compression crimps had a high failure rate.

I've had no failures with 3 Piece crimp Amphenols and a Paladin tools 3 stage strip.

>SNIP>

http://www.milestek.com/shop/product.asp?id=40%2040350&cid=&kwd=&l=&p=

Is the best on the market. I have a contact there as we spent thousands of dollars there already. Tat price listed is a little higher, I think they cost us about $75 bux for the MAC DADDY OF BNC TOOLS.

The connectors are from F-CONN, which they sell in packs of 100 and are about $1.20 - $1.80 each one, depending on how many you buy, but listen up kiddies, no more problems.

They also sell this - http://www.milestek.com/shop/product.asp?id=40%2011412&cid=&kwd=&l=&p=

Never fails!

If your ready to toss your TUMS BOTTLE away get these connectors.

http://www.milestek.com/search.asp?skw=MPWCNFC01&color=AB1DA1

Your all very wlecome!

ADAM!

Are those any better than the Steren compression connectors? I've used those and bought their expensive/proprietary compressor and tossed it after myself and 6 others could not get any to stay on.

After 18 years in this crazy businesss I've learned that there are pro's and con's to each type of connector. I used to love twist-ons. I can quickly put them on and they don't come off. I had two needless service calls where the video failed many weeks after the install. In one case the center conductor never made it into the center fingers but was touching with a real pretty "Z". The other the fingers grabbed so tight that the center conductor was actually twisted in two.

I switched to 3-piece crimp. I bought the right tools with correctly fitting dies and the appropriate strippers. With any technique, it takes a little training and experience to get good at them, but I've got techs' who can do a 3-pc crimp in about 30 seconds.

Some people like 2-pc crimp, because they don't have to juggle that tiiny center pin. With the correct tool and training, they're ok too.

I've just starting using some of the compression connectors. The process is a little different and It takes a little practice to do it correctly. Some of the connectors have a little hole or slot so you can visual check when the cable is inserted the right length. If the connector doesn't have the hole, then it's almost imperative to mark the cable with felt tip pin to ensure that the cable goes in far enough to seat the center conductor. Most of the brands I've seen are very expensive. There are a few that are very reasonably priced (around a buck).

Since I not only install, but teach classes in CCTV, I'm constantly being asked where the various tools and connectors I show can be purchased. I'm giving serious thought to putting together an "online" store . What do you guys think about the idea, having a place to buy connectors and tools that are designed to work together along with other acccessories that we need to install properly.

I might even be able to include video clips showing the correct way to install.

Howard

www.videoguardit.com

Depends what one likes to use, they all work just as good (for normal camera installs) once they are done properly. In the end, nothing is going to be 100%.

I was using the same ones from Liberty Wire & Cable. It was 50-50 if the center conductor found its way into the tip. Many crimps had to be redone after we connected to the DVR and there was no video. Back up the ladder again. Not fun. Many times you had to redo the crimps on both ends because you didnt know which end was bad.

I don't know what kind of bad luck you have had with these things. I feel really bad, as these things are awesome. I have no time to play around with these multi piece conectors while my guys ar4 in tight attics at over 150 degrees in the South Florida Heat! Or, if my guys are on a 50 foot lift swinging in the wind. These things work best for us, we use them in tight spaces, where you have literally hundreds of connectors wired together with mux loopouts at a far away install like 350+ miles away.

Maybe your copper center conductor is too thing and is hard to get inside, but we love um!

Liberty wire blows by the way. Our contacts at Milestek ship instantly and always correct any errors overnight!

I hope you guys like sore hands with them twist ones or searching for parts and pins. We hate um!

Have a good one!

ADAM!