Maniek

Arecont Vision cameras - is it possible at all ?

Hello all

I was thinking about Arecont cameras, we installed a lot of them.

We are a bit confused, first - good frame rate, fairly good low light view... on the other hand I have never done "perfect" focusing with Arecont. I had always some problems with sharpness on edges. Maybe its lens problem or... I have no idea.

Have you ever done such a good picture like from Arecont website?

Please give some screenshots if possible.

Maybe I am doing something wrong.

Regards

Mariusz

I have installed many Areconts and I have had the same issues. Some cameras I can get fully focused and some I can't. I think it has something to do with the imager not being aliened properly. I have had the best results with the new 10MP box camera.

also down to the lens type if you use over 3mp or over with a cmos lens then you do see the problem as much.

1.3mp cmos then you see it all the time you can only focus the centre of the image and you start to loose focus at the edges.

cmos lenses are getting better but ccd still just takes the edge.

also down to the lens type if you use over 3mp or over with a cmos lens then you do see the problem as much.

1.3mp cmos then you see it all the time you can only focus the centre of the image and you start to loose focus at the edges.

Tom I think you are referring to CMOS vs CCD sensors not lenses. I was talking about the sensor in the camera not being aligned properly. CMOS vs CCD has nothing to so with image focus. Take a look at Avigilon CMOS cameras they focus perfectly.

I have a job with 26 Arecont 5MP Box cameras all with the same fixed 4mm 2/3 lens and some can be fully focused and some can not.

Tom I think you are referring to CMOS vs CCD sensors not lenses. I was talking about the sensor in the camera not being aligned properly. CMOS vs CCD has nothing to so with image focus. Take a look at Avigilon CMOS cameras they focus perfectly.

I have a job with 26 Arecont 5MP Box cameras all with the same fixed 4mm 2/3 lens and some can be fully focused and some can not.

yes sorry sensors (i was looking at when you buy cameras complete) cmos or ccd.

I've had good results using 2/3" format Computar lenses on AV3130s, AV3135s, and AV3105DNs (possibly because of the larger "sweet spot"). At the cert. class I attended, they mentioned they use 16mm and 25mm Computar lenses for the sample images.

But I just RMA'd a 3135 that I believe had a misaligned sensor (also had probs with h.264 mode image corruption).

Another irritating thing I noticed with some Areconts is dust on the sensor. It can't be easily blown off 'cause the dust is on the sensor behind the ir cut plate. Looks like a semi-transparent artifact on high f-stop or dark scenes... like an amoeba or jellyfish, lol.

One problem you can get with domes is that the curvature of the dome bubble itself acts as an extra lens element and can throw your focus off, especially at longer focal lengths, where depth if field is thinner - this is true of any dome, BTW, not just Arecont. Some display this effect more than others.

I've noticed the newer AV3155DN domes we put in came with a little plastic lens that you can snap over the end of the lens to emulate the dome bubble and aid in focusing... short of that, if you're installing a dome, you may have to hold the bubble up in front of the lens while focusing.

And all that being said... I've noticed a particular problem with "even" focus with the Arecont domes, like their bubbles aren't perfectly round or of even thickness, causing parts of the image to be out of focus.

Poor sensor alignment, like thewireguys suggests, could also be an issue - the AV3155DNs at least, seem extremely flimsy and poorly put together, and the backfocus adjustment (a moving lens mount) is very sloppy. If the plane of the lens mount isn't perfectly parallel to the plane of the sensor, then it WILL be impossible to get a perfect focus all the way across the image.

I officially can't stand Arecont anymore. I've been fighting one 5105DN focus issue and just order another lens in hope to get a sharper picture no have the same issue with soft edges and lines. So I thought I would try my second 5105DN that I had but when I opened the brand new box and there were white chalk looking marks on the top and the ir filter has a haze just off the center of the lens so I called Arecont and they wanted me to prove that the haze caused an issue with the picture. I told them B.S you come here and spend the amount of time i've spent with these things and I said I want to send it back. Needless to say I'm working my distributor. I have a 3135 to send back also because on one of the cameras I can not get the color sensor to focus other than the center of the lens. It's the weirdest thing I can get the center to look great on the black and white sensor and the other camera is great.

I don't know what the issue is with Arecont quality control, but it's costing me money. I asked them the same thing as the original poster, I just want my picture to look like the ones they have on there website.

I officially can't stand Arecont anymore. I've been fighting one 5105DN focus issue and just order another lens in hope to get a sharper picture no have the same issue with soft edges and lines. So I thought I would try my second 5105DN that I had but when I opened the brand new box and there were white chalk looking marks on the top and the ir filter has a haze just off the center of the lens so I called Arecont and they wanted me to prove that the haze caused an issue with the picture. I told them B.S you come here and spend the amount of time i've spent with these things and I said I want to send it back. Needless to say I'm working my distributor. I have a 3135 to send back also because on one of the cameras I can not get the color sensor to focus other than the center of the lens. It's the weirdest thing I can get the center to look great on the black and white sensor and the other camera is great.

I don't know what the issue is with Arecont quality control, but it's costing me money. I asked them the same thing as the original poster, I just want my picture to look like the ones they have on there website.

Remember what I told about year ago about Arecont and ACTI ?

Remember what I told about year ago about Arecont and ACTI ?

Tough love