Quantum

Mobotix: Slow Framerate, Disappointing Quality

Of course few Winduhs users see the value of running as a user, much less to seek out a way to run a few apps SUID. Most seem to value shelter, conventionality, and no thinking, more than anything else.

Most Windows users are simply that, users, they want to be able to do what they want without calling for tech support, most dont know any different, many are computer illiterate other than facebook and msn. Imagine as a tech when you setup a PC for someone and make them a user, anytime they want to download something like Yahoo IM or MSN IM or Skype they will be calling you .. non stop .. and like Linux users ... most dont want to pay for the service ..

So what do the techs do? Set them up as admin accounts obviously ... hey give them a recovery CD or USB or SDcard so if they get infected their cheap backsides can simply recover the OS back in 5-10 minutes .. simple enough, thats alot more than HP and Dell give their clients now, other than preloading the computers with a bunch of rubbish the end user never uses and which just bogs it down. Ofcourse what about their data, their address book, contacts, etc .. sure that can get infected also .. or stolen .. used for spam etc .. but if you know you are dealing with someone that wont listen to the part about not downloading anything THEN set them up as a user or continue to get paid cleaning up their PC.

I tried switching the basic type of users to Linux before, all they do is complain .. it cant do this cant do that . this is different .. yada yada yada .. its not worth the hassle .. *btw have you tried google's chrome OS?* if they listen to you and dont use IE (nor firefox now) and dont go downloading games and just any exe from unknown websites, and follow other mostly simple guidelines, then they wont have to call you ... even if they do all the wrong things at the least many of the malware apps will fail once the Windows computer is setup properly and not left to defaults - yes by default Windows is unsecure, thats a given.

Many here build DVRs based on Windows, we have for years, some longer than others, but ofcourse these arent browsing the web downloading pwn and games and free screen savers .. but none the less we secure the crap out of them .. so if something does get through, not much it can do anyway. After all the DVR is only meant to run what we build it to run.

I have a 600 mhz celeron EEE PC that came loaded with a form of linux by Asus, had XP Pro setup on first power up .. boots to desktop under 10 seconds, and I can watch video from multiple IP cameras and DVRs in a 64 way view, as well as the basic user stuff like office and browsing the web, checking email, and skype .. no anti virus, never got any malware, and have an SD card inside for 5 minute recovery using a customized DriveSnapshot restore should I ever do get infected .. which is unlikely anyway as I only have 8 services running with most others removed or disabled, no IE besides the core, and many other hardly ever used features removed prior to install .. using Nlite.

The day when I can download and play WMVs and pretty much any movie type, stream Divx, watch 64 cameras from multiple DVRs and IP cameras, have every font I use now (um whats with fonts in linux??), and like it or not but login automatically as an admin .. oh yeah have all the device drivers for the various video cards ... have better support for EXEs than WINE does now and not have to run a virtual PC ... not to mention use my favourite programming and scripting language (perhaps pushing it) ... then I might look at linux as something to work on .. but right now its still XP .. thats slowly going to change ofcourse. As for the code, sudo this and that, thats small things, I write thousands of lines of code a day now as it is.

But regardless of all that, most linux users KNOW they are using an OS that is not as supported so it should be a given that as with most other software I am sure as POWER users they have tried, there are bound to be errors and full support would ofcourse generally be for Windows .. and if they need tips securing their Windows computer they just have to ask nicely.

The day when I can download and play WMVs and pretty much any movie type, stream Divx, watch 64 cameras from multiple DVRs and IP cameras, have every font I use now (um whats with fonts in linux??), and like it or not but login automatically as an admin .. oh yeah have all the device drivers for the various video cards ... have better support for EXEs than WINE does now and not have to run a virtual PC ... not to mention use my favourite programming and scripting language (perhaps pushing it) ... then I might look at linux as something to work on .

That would beee, Today, er Yesterday, eh Five Years Ago. I am not limited in any multimedia, except NVR because of the ActiveX virus, and in fact I have freedom from DRM, which you will never have. At home I have the best DVR in the world on an HTPC with 6TB BTRFS array feeding TV shows and movies to a 12' screen, and recording the pure unencrypted digital HD stream just like God intended, and automatically (yes, automatically) skipping commercials! Haven't had exe trouble with Wine for years, and in fact installed and ran MxEasy in Wine. It appears at this point that all my problems were due to the camera; we shall see what Mobotix finds.

Some of what you say is sickening Rory; you make most Americans sound fat, lazy, and stupid. Maybe they are, and deserve the government we have. But I am not here to convert you, as you've made your decision and are happy with it. Remember Citizen:

War is peace.

Freedom is slavery.

Ignorance is strength.

Arbeit macht frei.

Edited by Guest

Some of what you say is sickening Rory; you make most Americans sound fat, lazy, and stupid. Maybe they are, and deserve the government we have. But I am not here to convert you, as you've made your decision and are happy with it. Remember Citizen:

War is peace.

Freedom is slavery.

Ignorance is strength.

Arbeit macht frei.

Well your a user, Im a programmer, you figure out who the lazy and stupid one is.

As for Americans, you will have to take that fight up with *cough* an American

and in fact I have freedom from DRM, which you will never have.

Thats hilarious, since there is total freedom from copyright here in our country, in fact there are pirate DVDs for sale on every single corner and outside the foodstores, the local video stores sell mostly pirated DVDs, any major software program can be had for a couple dollars (not saying its right though), and ofcourse one can simply watch whatever commercial free shows or movies they want on popular HD websites. And did i mention, we can drink and drive, LEGALLY, there is no law against it, WOW imagine that, such freedom. Also, we can walk down the street with a bottle of beer in our hand in the middle of town, or cross the road anywhere we like, we can even run the red light after 12am .. wow imagine that, more freedom than the US, and then ofcourse, we have no income tax or VAT. Really you need to pick your arguments a little better, if anyone has less freedoms relative to law and such, its definately you guys over there, here we are free to do almost whatever we want.

Arbeit macht frei.

I think you can make your point without bringing the Nazis into it.

This thread has now officially been Godwin'd.

in fact installed and ran MxEasy in Wine. It appears at this point that all my problems were due to the camera; we shall see what Mobotix finds.

Now it seems we get to the bottom of this Mobotix issue, you now suggest you have been running the program in WINE? Well as WINE themselves will admit there can be issues with their virtualized application environment, and my testing of dozens of software within WINE on MAC and Linux also proves this to be true, even though some have run fine, most always have at least one issue, or more - CCTV related apps being the most common to have issues generally related to video and framerate. If you tested outside of WINE and still experienced the same issues then ignore this post. If you havent tested on a Windows PC I would suggest trying that before concluding that the product is rubbish. After all the Windows PC should not be used for surfing pwn and downloading EXEs and unless you are the NSA or the CIA I dont think you have anything to worry about.

“See, when someone has made an emotional decision about something, as opposed to an intellectual decision, there is just no reasoning with them. “

You spent 3 weeks trying to force Mobotix the best IP camera in the world to work with your nutty idea of what an operating system should be. After you tried and failed miserably what was the lesson you learned. Hi yi yi Gee-Had, Linux is best cause it does not run Mobitix cameras.

Then you hop around on one foot with your linux bible in hand shouting.

Linux has poor video surveillance support, therefore it is better than windows. Hi yi yi Gee-Had.

Firefox works poorly viewing remote cameras, therefore it is better than IE. Hi yi yi Gee-Had.

Linux is free and they can’t give it away, therefore it is better than Windows. Hi yi yi Gee-Had.

Google is the best search engine in the world, therefore i will not use it. Hi yi yi Gee-Had.

And you have the audacity to insinuate that you are an intellectual! The dealers in this forum use what works, Windows or Linux. Most of them could care less what operating system they use as long as it works. And guess what 90% of all the apps that work are Windows apps. The only exception is Exacq which when used within its limitations is regularly recommended by the experienced dealers here.

Your tinfoil hat is blinding you, take it off and see the light from Windows.

And so, rather than learning from the information I provide, they respond with virulent jealousy. This is one of the final stages of a declining society.

Yeah, I'm not reading any of your posts as I'm bored with this.

Just wanted to add, 'font problem'? No font problem. No limitation with fonts.

Also, I think I'd better remove the instructive notes from my posts, as this is not a place that needs it.

Edited by Guest

Just wanted to add, 'font problem'? No font problem. No limitation with fonts.

Example:

"What fonts Linux users (in all their diversity) have depends on a lot of factors, including their particular flavor of operating system, desktop environment, their own interest in expanding their font collections, and so forth. Most non-designer Linux users tend to have a somewhat motley group of fonts at their disposal.

When Web designers consider their Linux users’ needs at all, they commonly assume that Linux users have access to the same core fonts that Windows users have, and that a font stack designed for Windows users covers their Linux users, also. This is not the case.

But Linux users expect and deserve more than the short shrift provided by these core fonts — which were never designed for their systems in the first place, and which many hard-core Linux users refuse to use.

As you can imagine, it has to be quite frustrating for them to have the spiffy, Linux-centered fonts and have only a very few Web sites make use of them."

http://sixrevisions.com/web_design/a-web-designers-guide-to-linux-fonts/

Ive tested at least 20 default installs of different linux flavours and most webpages are all in times new roman, so thats why I mentioned the fonts issue