Quantum

Mobotix: Slow Framerate, Disappointing Quality

If the HDD is very different it sometimes wont restore properly .. found that at least while using another imaging program that I use religiously

Well, on {redacted}

I'm not using {redacted} I think I'm going to shelve the idea of security cameras for a while. I've just thrown away three weeks on this project.

Edited by Guest

one option if possible is to install windows in a container and run it that way. The problem with linux is there are several distributions and its sometimes hard to get programs running on every possible configuration. You can also try using WINE and building a container for the MXcontrol center and see if that works.

The main benefit of the mobotix cameras is that you can have the camera control all of the recording and management. For best results we recommend internal recording or recording directly to a dedicated NAS and not to a workstation.

With this setup, all you would need to add is a low cost windows pc for viewing and management as the PC plays no role in recording and is only there for viewing.

If the Mobotix cameras are giving your setup trouble with bandwidth and cpu use, i would dread to see what a megapixel h.264 stream would do.

It is in effect recording to {redacted}

Hadn't thought of {redacted} We have run Linux for 14 years for security reasons, and have never never had a problem like this.

See, the problem seems to be {redacted}

We've proven that {redacted} WTH? Laughable. Is this the '60's?

And then there's this thing called 'budgeting your time'. Maybe some people have lots of time for games, but I am a real estate developer, and have far more important things to do than fsck with an expensive camera for three weeks which is supposed to have all the answers down. I have to actually make a living!

Edited by Guest

So I've installed Wine on the backup server and installed MxEasy for Windows. There were several Application Exceptions, but things work. I now can run MxEasy on the backup server in Wine. I am getting 1.8 F/s consistently at 1024x768, at night.

Are you sure the exposure/shutter is set to normal?

Already asked about exposure. My response is on the first page, about 5th down. When I first started I did a factory reset, and framerate hasn't improved since, except slightly when I changed to MxPEG.

Someone has clarified for me that {redacted}

I actually downloaded {redacted} And I actually bought a disk drive to install Windows on the backup server, but when I boot the CD to install (same CD as on the workstation), when it goes to boot Windows {redacted} Not buying or running Windows permanently.

Edited by Guest

Gee, your nixed up, atom powered, goggle less, Fire foxed, Zonemobile does not work? Who would have thought?

Yeah, Microsoft is the only way to go, isn't it Sheep. No, we are in a business where security of data is paramount, and Microsoft products are not an option.

You are oblivious.

This product is held out as working well on Linux, and it does not.What would you suppose I should have thought?

Yeah, Microsoft is the only way to go, isn't it Sheep. No, we are in a business where security of data is paramount, and Microsoft products are not an option.

You are oblivious.

This product is held out as working well on Linux, and it does not.What would you suppose I should have thought?

Why is your data not secure on a microsoft OS?

Mine is

Don't worry wireguys, I didn't buy it from you.

And then there's this thing called 'budgeting your time'. Maybe some people have lots of time for games, but I am a real estate developer, and have far more important things to do than fsck with an expensive camera for three weeks

Already asked about exposure. My response is on the first page, about 5th down.

You are oblivious.

{crickets}

I say this respectfully, of course... For a new member who is trying to get help from the regulars around here, you sure are doing it wrong . You may want to change your approach, otherwise I'd be surprised if the experts continue to contribute anything.

That is my only contribution to this thread, but good luck -- Mobotix makes great stuff

Rory, if you only knew...

{crickets}

Biting my tongue

No, go ahead and say it. I'd like to hear how this is defensible, rather than just petulance. I have now thrown away a great deal of my valuable time on something that is supposed to work out of the box. How am I not to be indignant?

Rory, if you only knew...

{crickets}

Biting my tongue

No, go ahead and say it. I'd like to hear how this is defensible, rather than just petulance. I have now thrown away a great deal of my valuable time on something that is supposed to work out of the box. How am I not to be indignant?

1) Camera is used (ebay)!!! so no one knows if it is working properly.

2) Mobotix cameras are very powerful and are not designed for the end user to configure. Not saying it can't be done but this is your first Mobotix camera and you have never attended a training course.

Your trying to reinvent the wheel. We (the professionals on this forum) have decades of experience with CCTV we try to help you and tell you what will work but you deiced to do it your own way. Then you want to complain that a good product doesn't work without any formal training.

Sorry you have wasted time on this but that is what happens the first time you use a product like this. I can't tell you how much time I have spend testing manufactures products before I got them working correctly.

Already asked about exposure. My response is on the first page, about 5th down. When I first started I did a factory reset, and framerate hasn't improved since, except slightly when I changed to MxPEG.

how have you done a factory reset on a mobotix ..... are you sure you have not just done a reset. ???

Sorry you have wasted time on this but that is what happens the first time you use a product like this. I can't tell you how much time I have spend testing manufactures products before I got them working correctly.

Why are you "Sorry"

how have you done a factory reset on a mobotix ..... are you sure you have not just done a reset. ???

I believe it's called a "Reset to factory settings" in the browser interface, although I can't check it as I've now sent the camera to Mobotix for eval. Seller has agreed to pay repairs up to $150, and otherwise give a refund. I am grateful for his understanding.

Rory there are {redacted}. I don't have time to {redacted}, and I don't like being limited in what I can do by DRM and encryption limitations. Besides, all my software is free, open, and vetted by some of the best minds in the world. bpzle is right though, it does take an IQ north of 140 to really use Linux; he knows... he's tried.

And as to theproud thewireguys, in the three weeks I've struggled with this I've risen to a proficiency level with these cameras that it's taken him years to reach. I mastered the web interface which complexity has caused many others to sell this camera, and I've reached into Linux internals such as {redacted} in an effort to make it work. I have responded comprehensively and forthrightly to those honestly trying to help. But those seeking to expose my flaws, ridicule or undercut a layman's efforts to succeed --out of a commercial/mercenary objective-- are corrupt in my opinion. Nuff said.

Edited by Guest