Quantum

Mobotix: Slow Framerate, Disappointing Quality

Rory there are sequencing and masquerading attacks on network packets ('man-in-the-middle'), sql injection attacks, smb/cifs vulns, and all kinds of dreadful activex vulns. I don't have time to update every day, and I don't like being limited in what I can do by DRM and encryption limitations. Besides, all my software is free, open, and vetted by some of the best minds in the world. bpzle is right though, it does take an IQ north of 140 to really use Linux; he knows... he's tried.

Ive used Linux and Mac and always go back to Windows (XP to be precise). Nothing is immune from attacks, and no we dont do updates like you mentioned. Ive found most die hard Linux users actually know very little about Windows besides the consumer hype.

I've got nothing against you using Windows, as long as you are aware of the risks, however much you may doubt them. Presumably you trust Google as well. I don't.

And as to theproud thewireguys, in the three weeks I've struggled with this I've risen to a proficiency level with these cameras that it's taken him years to reach. I mastered the web interface which complexity has caused many others to sell this camera, and I've reached into Linux internals such as kernel.shmmax and kernel.shmall in an effort to make it work. I have responded comprehensively and forthrightly to those honestly trying to help. But those seeking to expose my flaws, ridicule or undercut a layman's efforts to succeed --out of a commercial/mercenary objective-- are corrupt in my opinion. Nuff said.

What is your problem? At what point was I not trying to help you? In fact your are the one that is attacking myself and others.

Pointing out that you are using a used Mobotix camera is not an attack it is a normal tech question so we can help. Stop being an asshole we don't need anymore in the world.

FYI to your comment above. I am not the one asking how to get full frame rates on the camera if you want I will let you log into our demo cameras and show you that I have them setup correctly and I get full frame rates. Also you where the one that was gonna order Exacq for the Mobotix camera.

Stop attacking people that are trying to help you. At some point you will get no more free help.

Edited by Guest

I think you should maybe try the Nucleous RTOS instead then as its much more secure than Windows and Linux.

BTW the only way to really stay safe on a computer is to never power it up.

Ummm... Quantum? As one geek to another, please... dial it back a bit.

I'm not a *nix greybeard, but I've been using Linux for >10 years, and I'm very fond of the OS. For boxes that just need to "work," I find that the unices are a great option for those who can parse the howtos and aren't afraid to dig into config files.

They also tend to eat up time if you're doing something that's not well-documented. I've played with the Zoneminder stuff, and found it fairly problematic. The time committment to make it work ended up being greater than what I was willing to spend, and I went with a windows solution.

Don't get me wrong, I love Linux... but it's not the right tool for everything, particularly with certain camera manufacturers that require Active-X controls. Believe me, I hate being bound to IE, but until more manufacturers make their products browser agnostic, we're stuck with what we have.

Hate it when people try to say 'macs are more secure', or 'linux is more secure'. All code has endless holes in it. How 'secure' something is depends on how good the enemy is.

If I ever have a computer problem, i just DBAN it and re-install... Reloading from one of my many backups of course.

Also, I can never figure out how people get malware so often... I almost never have a problem!

Oh, and ZM doesn't use Active-X.

I think you should maybe try the Nucleous RTOS instead then as its much more secure than Windows and Linux.

BTW the only way to really stay safe on a computer is to never power it up.

May be, but {redacted} is officially sanctioned by the NSA, and that's good enough for me. In fact they have {redacted}.

I was hoping to hear from Sawbones and Adam. Dial what back a bit? I gotta be me. Well {redacted} is quite secure, and I have no daemons exposed except {redacted}. I provide {redacted}. Just incredible advanced tools! Nothing like them in Winduhs, certainly not with {redacted}. Maybe somebody will adversarially say {redacted} are available for Winduhs, but So what? About 0.00002% know about it, much less understand or use them.

Yes I am non-plussed about the wastage of time this expedition has cost me, on an expensive system which was supposed to have been debugged, and so am a bit less patient with a few here. I am just glad my investment is small at this point.

Edited by Guest

May be, but SeLinux is officially sanctioned by the NSA, and that's good enough for me. In fact they have a complete guide on securing your system.

i could provide a complete guide on securing your windows computer .. but then it wont be free

Nothin' about Winduhs is free AFAIK, in any sense of the word...

Which again shows that you are not well versed in using Windows, or ever used it at all?

Small example, all the software on my website is made for Windows, and its FREE!

In fact, since its not open source some clown cant find a security exploit as easy as with all the open source rubbish.

Nothin' about Winduhs is free AFAIK, in any sense of the word...

Which again shows that you are not well versed in using Windows, or ever used it at all?

Small example, all the software on my website is made for Windows, and its FREE!

In fact, since its not open source some clown cant find a security exploit as easy as with all the open source rubbish.

I don't know about the security-through-obscurity argument... and the flip side with closed source is that you have to wait for the author/developer to issue service-packs and bugfixes... no chance of patching it yourself without the source code.

's Advocate hat>

I don't know about the security-through-obscurity argument... and the flip side with closed source is that you have to wait for the author/developer to issue service-packs and bugfixes... no chance of patching it yourself without the source code.

's Advocate hat>

If I had a program that 1,000,000 people were using .. and if I gave the source code to some 100,000 other developers .. and in that 100,000 there is at least 1 criminal (likely alot more) .. its like candy to kid .. sure some of the developers could patch it, you could probably patch it, but only after the exploit has taken place and caused havoc on some 900,000 people. Not saying it doesnt happen to closed source but its a heck of alot easier (and quicker) for the criminal if they are simply handed the code. So in essence, the argument goes both ways.

The main argument I hear from die hard linix fans (and mac fanboys) is that Windows is full of viruses, activeX is the spawn of satan, microsoft is spying on us *note he mentioned he doesnt trust google in this case as well* - well the spying part could be somewhat semi true but then you dont leave all the darn services and features wide open when you setup Windows properly now do you, least a good tech does not. But when it comes down to it most of them simply chose linux because either their only experience is with Windows 95/98, they bought a preloaded HP or Dell consumer Celeron Windows XP PC that had 100 adware apps on startup with 30 trial software .. or simply because Linux is free. To each their own but most of what the die hards know of Windows is incorrect, or they only know half the story.

Anyway this is all steering away from the topic so im gone .. I use XP because I WANT to be admin ALL The time auto logged in on start up, I dont want to change 20 different settings or write lines of code just to get rid of some annoying messages that the OS thinks it knows better than I do, I want to play WMVs and AVIs I download of some unknown website, I want to do whatever I want to do any time of the day and night, I want fonts that dont look like something out of a dos text program, I want to run unknown EXEs just because I can .. and you know because I know what is what, I NEVER get viruses or other .. and it just WORKS. Regardless of the fact that I know everything that is taking place on MY PC, I know what is going on in the background, everything .. but yes everything just works, safely

Anyway I will leave this out there ... what OS does the majority of "good" surveillance software run on?

There is a reason for that, and after having used much of it out there, its certainly not ease of use.

That said, personally I see the end of Windows in the near future, with nothing but one disaster of an OS after the other starting with Vista and now Win7, and the lack of new hardware support for XP. Guess I will be taking my own advise eventually and tapping into the Nucleous RTOS ..

If I had a program that 1,000,000 people were using .. and if I gave the source code to some 100,000 other developers .. and in that 100,000 there is at least 1 criminal (likely alot more) .. its like candy to kid ..

Like I say, run it if you like. I might be in the back door. But your thought here is fallacy. {redacted} they will be safer. Ask Echostar and DirecTV how that's gone for them... they've been continuously hacked for 15 years, usually through {redacted}. OTOH look at {redacted}. ALL of its code is fully open for all to see, and it is amongst the most secure apps ever made. The world's spy agencies use it. Because the world's best minds have evaluated and improved it daily. You don't think Black Hats are trying to crack the port every day, they are. But {redacted} is as secure as it gets. Not much you can do about the {redacted}. There has to be a point of reason...

I use XP because I WANT to be admin ALL The time ...

I know you've been told over and over to not do that Rory, so I'll tell you a way around it. You shouldn't be admin because {redacted}, they have root. All you have to do is {redacted}... and they are the wrongest, wrongest ones you want to have root. {redacted} The damage you can't see, is the worst. I think Winduhs ppl are in for a hard lesson.

I understand the convenience aspect, so please do what I do: {redacted} and you have the convenience. At least consider it. And FGS don't {redacted}... defeats the point.

Edited by Guest

I know you've been told over and over to not do that Rory, so I'll tell you a way around it. You shouldn't be admin because when you use a browser as root to go to any hostile website (and there are many), they have root. All you have to do is open the site... and they are the wrongest, wrongest ones you want to have root. Run an unknown exe, and at the least it could go crazy, and at worst do something you can't see so you think everything's OK. Sits in your process list, named something boring like 'cpuset', and secretly sends your passwords, bank accounts, credit cards, to Alexi. The damage you can't see, is the worst. I think Winduhs ppl are in for a hard lesson.

I understand the convenience aspect, so please do what I do: All you need root for most things is file management and command-line. Log in as a user, and have a file manager and command-line open as admin, give the password once, and you have the convenience. At least consider it. And FGS don't give user any more privs than absolutely needed... defeats the point.

Nope, wrong again.

I understand the convenience aspect, so please do what I do: All you need root for most things is file management and command-line. Log in as a user, and have a file manager and command-line open as admin, give the password once, and you have the convenience. At least consider it. And FGS don't give user any more privs than absolutely needed... defeats the point.

Nope, wrong again.

I am with you Rory

I do the same on my own comp

have lots of tools to catch viruses,spyware and so on ....

but technically he is right

And then there's this thing called 'budgeting your time'. Maybe some people have lots of time for games, but I am a real estate developer, and have far more important things to do...

LOL, well I am just trying to help you.

It's remarkable that you don't have time to fiddle with your Mobotix camera (because you are a busy real estate developer), but you have all the time in the world to argue over which platform is superior via an internet forum

I don't have more than three full weeks to fiddle with a camera which is ostensibly high quality. And I don't 'have all the time in the world to argue over which platform is superior via an internet forum'. But I -did- try to help where I can.

Looks like I've hurt your feelings too...

See, when someone has made an emotional decision about something, as opposed to an intellectual decision, there is just no reasoning with them. I learned a long time ago that when I discover that's the case, there is no sense in discussing it any further.

But one thing you cannot honestly deny: {redacted} And you have probably learned something substantive from me; you can decide this question in the privacy of your own mind. If you haven't learned anything here, you are one who is the victim of emotional decisions.

Edited by Guest

Nope, wrong again.

I am with you Rory

I do the same on my own comp

have lots of tools to catch viruses,spyware and so on ....

but technically he is right

He is right. I don't know a single computer-security geek who advises a person to constantly operate with root privileges (or administrator in windows-space).

In defense of the users who do so with Windows, it's rather a pain to constantly have to user-switch or log back in as Admin to do tasks... so I can understand why people do it. Hell... I've done it myself.

Too bad windows XP doesn't do SUDO.

In the KDE icon for Konqueror filemanager I can {redacted} Surely there's that, or something like {redacted} in Winduhs.

Of course few Winduhs users see the value of running as a user, much less to seek out a way to {redacted}. Most seem to value shelter, conventionality, and no thinking, more than anything else.

The fact that 95% of the population runs Winduhs means only that they are giving the customer what they want. It doesn't mean anything more. It doesn't mean that it's the Best option, or that it can lead people to greater things. The fact that Republicans keep getting elected, despite the profligate spending of the Bush years which will bankrupt us and the hangover spending now which resulted, proves that Americans do not know what's Best for them. No, I'm not a Democrat; they're just as corporatist. Nader. That's all I'll say about that.

Edited by Guest

I know you've been told over and over to not do that Rory, so I'll tell you a way around it. You shouldn't be admin because when you use a browser as root to go to any hostile website (and there are many), they have root. All you have to do is open the site... and they are the wrongest, wrongest ones you want to have root. Run an unknown exe, and at the least it could go crazy, and at worst do something you can't see so you think everything's OK. Sits in your process list, named something boring like 'cpuset', and secretly sends your passwords, bank accounts, credit cards, to Alexi. The damage you can't see, is the worst. I think Winduhs ppl are in for a hard lesson.

Thanks but im a web developer and programmer first so I know all this "basic" stuff. And BTW if I wanted to create something to do what you mentioned it wont be sitting in any Process list and even if it did when they try to kill it, it will simply duplicate itself 10 fold but really it would be running as a service to begin with or a device driver. Ofcourse for the average user who doesnt know what they are doing, they could simply run as a user in Windows, as with Linux.

He is right. I don't know a single computer-security geek who advises a person to constantly operate with root privileges (or administrator in windows-space).

Its not about what we advise someone else, its about what WE do .. as a programmer i download unknown activeX controls, exe's, all kinds of code, to test .. thats what I do .. i can fix any problem they cause. I want that power .. I like that power .. I have no problems with it. I will be the first to say I would use Linux before Mac, any day of the week ... but right now Linux is not a replacement for Windows - yet.

In defense of the users who do so with Windows, it's rather a pain to constantly have to user-switch or log back in as Admin to do tasks... so I can understand why people do it. Hell... I've done it myself.

Too bad windows XP doesn't do SUDO.

One can simply right click run as admin or use similar command line tools.

There are many hidden tools that most windows users and even IT people dont know about.

{redacted}

Actually, best to {redacted} (or whatever it's called in Winders).

Anyway, we agree it's not for you.

Edited by Guest

Why be a service? More obvious. Who has all the same device drivers?

Actually, best to be a kernel module (or whatever it's called in Winders).

Anyway, we agree it's not for you.

Most services are hardly obvious to the average user, they will never see it unless they go looking through the long list of services in the registry, its not listed in the typical services list under admin tools.

Device driver, dont need to have the device for this, this is how many antivirus and other apps work, you create your own hidden driver then you have total power as both a user and admin.