rory

SIS with GEO

anyone used a SIS chipset with GEO ... would be with the GV800 and DSP card ... will it work? Cant find any intel chipsets on this island, not with an AGP slot and in a micro ATX form anyway. But i found a MSI with a SIS chipset. Supports Intel P4s.

gawd its my last choice short of ordering from the US ... there are no others available on the island with Intel chips, everything else is either too large or dont have AGP. .. or are VIA.

Rory,

GV650, 750, 800, 900, 1000 cards, if installed onto motherboards with VIA chipsets, will generate unstable clocking. These models use the "Hint" chip set for PCI bus control, and this Intel Hint chip set conflicts with VIA chip set. Therefore, please avoid using motherboards with VIA chipsets. Intel chipsets, SIS, and lots of other brand names are good. GV250 or GV600 do not have HINT chip sets, therefore, they are OK with VIA chip set mother boards.

Hope this helps

Crap, I told you the wrong thing. SIS does work, I was thinking it was VIA. I had a brain freeze. SIS works fine, I had alot of installs using SIS chipsets.

Sorry mannnn

I understand where rory is coming from, but I have to tell you that I prefer using Intel Chipsets, with celeron CPU'S before I use a SIS board with a AMD CPU. That chipset gives the AMD cpu no justice.

It's new ground for me. My Gv250 works well with a GigaByte KT400 board, AMD XP 2800+ Barton but I'm building another system around a GV600 and don't know whether to stick with this format, or go with a P4 ( I865 chipset board or SiS ) which will cost more. Wouldn't mind a try with Athlon 64 XP 3400 based system but I don't know how well it will work, if at all. No HINT chip so got too many choices.

Well the SiS Chipset Mobo is using an Intel CPU

the Socket 478 Intel and SiS chipset mother boards are the same price anyway, just couldnt find one down here.

Steve , if your starting from scratch a 1.7 g p4 will cope no problem, you can pick them up on ebay with a intel chipset mobo for under a £100.

If your just going to use a dedicated pc for a Geo 600, keep your more powerful processors for other demands

thanks for the advice. I'm trying to keep the costs down as the system is for my parents. They've had items stolen from the back yard over the years and my dads old mercedes keeps having the badges ripped off on his drive. I've finally convinced them to let me build a system for them.

SIS chip will work fine for versions under GV650, after that the Hint Bridge controller comes into play, depending on the version of the SIS chip it can be ok to use one, and yes there is a Patch, but I have never used it, the problem will come when the nrth bridge needs to talk to the hintbridge at fast data speeds... IE all cameras going at one time, then you can have unstable systems.

i would stear clear of SIS as it is a crappy chipset anyhow

im using it with a gv800 and soft ver 7.0, 2.93ghz celleron, radeon 128mb, 256mb ddr, no problems with 8 cams ... geo's site sais SiS is fine, its via to steer from ... i had the via first, even worked fine with the gv800, but not the DSP so we switched the board for the sis. no problem mon ..