rory

Remote Desktop with Geo

Okay using Iview it had its own great little program built in, does GEO have this, or am i missing something? I dont want to use Windows Remote Desktop for its own issues .... i guess only other thing would be the VNC or something like that right ..?

hmm, change the dvr settings .. i still dont understand why a software company like Geo who doesnt make the hardware, and as big as they are, dont have something simple built in, like iview does ..??? Dont get me wrong, Iview is flaky in other areas also .. though Iview kills goes remote software for multi site ...

I'm not really sure how secure VNC is, neither the free version of RealVNC or TightVNC supports user names and they only use an 8 digit password, it doesn't matter if you set up it up with a longer password, only the first 8 digits are verified when logging on.

Doug L.

update - been using Real VNC and it seems to be working well ..

No, but they could wipe out the hard drive requiring a service call to reload everything, or use the machine as a host for other activities.

Doug

Hmmm, what they gonna do steal the video ..

No, but they could wipe out the hard drive requiring a service call to reload everything, or use the machine as a host for other activities.

Doug

nope ... they cant get out of the full screen video window, and also, on a firewall that doesnt allow any access besides the ports that are opened for that PC. First they got to crack my 6 word and digit pass and well, the place aint exactly a bank or something so i really doubt any real crackers will give a hoot ..

But I do hear what you are saying .. Its on a Sonic Wall Firewall by the way ..i couldnt even access the darn net when i was there darnit

Anyway, anything as easy to use as Real VNC but more secure .. and free?? I mean its greeeat and simple to connect ..and first time i ever used it

I wouldn't trust it on my PC though!! LOL though I disable all remote access to my PC including Windows Remote Desktop and Access services .. i just paranoid yah know ..!

Despite my concerns about its security I use it on my Geo DVR's, I disable task manager and limit IE to deter the casual intruder, I also put it on my other PC based machines just in case I need to make changes to the system that can't be made through the DVR software, but I use remote admin on the router to open up the port only when I need to use VNC, but I suspect by using remote admin on the routers I'm probably opening up another can of worms.

Doug

nope ... they cant get out of the full screen video window, and also, on a firewall that doesnt allow any access besides the ports that are opened for that PC. First they got to crack my 6 word and digit pass and well, the place aint exactly a bank or something so i really doubt any real crackers will give a hoot ..

But I do hear what you are saying .. Its on a Sonic Wall Firewall by the way ..i couldnt even access the darn net when i was there darnit

Anyway, anything as easy to use as Real VNC but more secure .. and free?? I mean its greeeat and simple to connect ..and first time i ever used it

I wouldn't trust it on my PC though!! LOL though I disable all remote access to my PC including Windows Remote Desktop and Access services .. i just paranoid yah know ..!

In this case I dont have access to the Router, they have their own IT company doing that, but yes that is open for remote admin. I wanted to actually turn over the admin of the PC DVR to the IT guy so he can use all his own passwords etc, maybe install PC anywhere, Remote Desktop or whatever he uses ... as was just a subbed job, not my client direct, but I guess I will turn it over the the person I was subbed from .. i just dont want the main password ..

I did leave on all Remote Access and Desktop services on this DVR though normally I turn it off, Ill test this new DVR i have sitting here to see if TCP Filtering and Turning off all the normal services I turn off, whether the DVR and VNC will still work.

question,. is it only the free version of RealVNC that has the encryption turned off?

Thanks

Rory

I was quoted $845 US for 30 enterprise license's from RealVNC, they say it allows 256 character passwords and encryption. I'll probably go ahead and order them since it only adds $28 to the cost and the use of longer passwords should help security, The following is from an email from VNC a few days ago in response to a question I had about user names and passwords in the personal and enterprise versions

"It is not possible to have your own usernames in any of the editions of VNC.

Basically what we are saying is that the password can be configured upto 256

characters. Though one thing to note that if using legacy viewers, then only

the first 8 characters of the password will be taken. To avoid this ensure

that encryption is turned on thus preventing legacy viewers from connecting"

Doug

In this case I dont have access to the Router, they have their own IT company doing that, but yes that is open for remote admin. I wanted to actually turn over the admin of the PC DVR to the IT guy so he can use all his own passwords etc, maybe install PC anywhere, Remote Desktop or whatever he uses ... as was just a subbed job, not my client direct, but I guess I will turn it over the the person I was subbed from .. i just dont want the main password ..

I did leave on all Remote Access and Desktop services on this DVR though normally I turn it off, Ill test this new DVR i have sitting here to see if TCP Filtering and Turning off all the normal services I turn off, whether the DVR and VNC will still work.

question,. is it only the free version of RealVNC that has the encryption turned off?

Thanks

Rory

i was searching for info on developing your own type of this app, didnt find anything in open source or even ideas of how to do it, I will continue my search again this week sometime. Would be nice then can add as much encryption as you want .. but hey they have to make money somehow right $28 per PC isnt much I guess, do they offer lower licences ..? Like 10 PCs ..?

thanks

Rory

Take a look at their website www.realvnc.com, it has comparison charts on the different versions but its $30 for a single personal licenes and $50 for the enterprise, I actually asked for a quote for 30 personal licenses. but they said that for 30 licenses the enterprise would be cheaper and better.

Doug L

i was searching for info on developing your own type of this app, didnt find anything in open source or even ideas of how to do it, I will continue my search again this week sometime. Would be nice then can add as much encryption as you want .. but hey they have to make money somehow right $28 per PC isnt much I guess, do they offer lower licences ..? Like 10 PCs ..?

thanks

Rory

yeah seen that, but is there a version that you can integrate into your own software? Cause Iviews EzServer is exactly like ReaVNC.

Rory

I think the VNC code is open source, but I don't know enough about software to integrate anything, I consider myself lucky if I can intergrate windows with my PC

Doug

yeah seen that, but is there a version that you can integrate into your own software? Cause Iviews EzServer is exactly like ReaVNC.

Rory

ill take a look at that .. thanks .. didnt know but yah right it may be . .. if i get it working in custom soft ill make sure yall get the first copy