gman

Connecting Siamese and CNB camera power

Hey everyone,

I'm working on replacing a camera with a CNB. The current camera is connected with a siamese cable which has a female connector on the power. After reading through some of the posts, it sounds like I can use the existing power supply by cutting off the female adapter and connecting the wires to the green adapter. Does this sound right?

Thanks again, everyone here has been a tremendous help.

Hey everyone,

I'm working on replacing a camera with a CNB. The current camera is connected with a siamese cable which has a female connector on the power. After reading through some of the posts, it sounds like I can use the existing power supply by cutting off the female adapter and connecting the wires to the green adapter. Does this sound right?

Thanks again, everyone here has been a tremendous help.

Hi gman. yes thats the way most would do it.

BTW if you get confused about polarity, there is no + & - (even when feeding it DC).

Thats only true for some of the CNB cameras .. without them posting the model number its best they use polarity.

If polarity matters, it will have polarity markings... if there are no markings, then it doesn't matter.

If polarity matters, it will have polarity markings... if there are no markings, then it doesn't matter.

Some have the plug, not the green connector.

Some have the plug, not the green connector.

Which, as I recall, DO have a flag on them with the polarity indicated...

Which, as I recall, DO have a flag on them with the polarity indicated...

I believe you are correct, they also have red and black leads, just pointing out to the OP and Adam that with some of the CNBs polarity does matter.

Right, except the OP states in the first post, this camera has the "green adapter", which would be the design used on the dual-voltage cameras.

Symantics aside...

Generally speaking, DC only cameras are polarity sensative and can be fried if the polarity is reversed. I know, I've done it...

When it doubt, use a volt meter.

Right, except the OP states in the first post, this camera has the "green adapter", which would be the design used on the dual-voltage cameras.

Some of the CNB 12VDC domes also come with the green connector, it has a little + sign on one side of it.

Some of the CNB 12VDC domes also come with the green connector, it has a little + sign on one side of it.

Which goes back to my previous statement: if polarity matters, the polarity will be marked.

Which goes back to my previous statement: if polarity matters, the polarity will be marked.

WOW! Sounds like them thar CNB dohickies are so way overcomplicated for the common man that we have to write a novel as epic as "War and Peace". Thank god the outlet stores sell Lorex as everything is plug n play... :>)

Wow, I didn't know it would be this complicated.

The model is a VBM-24VF. The green adapter has no plus or any other indicator of polarity that I can see. The wires are wrapped together so no help there. It does say 240AC, so I'm assuming it's AC.

Wow, I didn't know it would be this complicated.

The model is a VBM-24VF. The green adapter has no plus or any other indicator of polarity that I can see. The wires are wrapped together so no help there. It does say 240AC, so I'm assuming it's AC.

then you can put red and black into any side of the little green plug

I believe that's actually 24 VAC - you DON'T want to be hooking up 240V to your camera! (Well, unless you really enjoy fireworks...)

But as Tom says, there is no polarity - the camera will accept 12VDC or 24VAC (if memory serves, it will actually take anything from about 10V to 30V, AC or DC).

It's really not that complicated: like I said before, 99% of the time, if polarity matters, there will be polarity markings; if there are no markings, then it probably doesn't matter. Simple.