chewingyu

Converting from analog to digital recording

I would like to seek your expertise for a situation I am facing.

I intend to convert my CCTV systems to digital recording.

Currently, I have 3 different CCTV systems recording the images on

videotapes. By 3 systems, I mean they were installed at different times by

different contractors.

So, the main question is how do I do it? Do I just replace the VCRs with

DVRs? Or should I dump the multiplexers and TV monitors as well and install

SVGA monitors? While the earlier method is cheaper upfront i.e. only pay

for DVRs, my concern is that I will still need to keep the multiplexers,

which means I need to maintain them. Which solution in the long run pays

off better? I was advised to keep the multiplexers because the images

displayed on the TV monitors are better than those on SVGAs.

Another issue is that I would very much like to be able view all cameras

from the comfort of my office (and for my superiors as well). However, I am

aware that of the fact that there are no common language or protocol

amongst the DVR suppliers. That means, I would need to have all 3 systems

using the same DVR make/model. Wouldn't that be putting all the eggs in 1

basket? It usually prudent to have a more-than-1-brand policy. But if I do

that, I would need as many PC monitors in my office as the number of DVR

systems, right? I cannot afford to do that because of limited office space

and the inconvenience of having to turn to different monitors to view

different monitors. What's your advice on this?

Linked to the problem above, I am wondering if it is at all possible for

some software to integrate all the DVR systems so that I need not worry

which system is for which camera. All I need to know is that I want to see

what's going on in this area and I would just click and it would bring me

to that camera. Is this too far fetch an idea?

Most DVRs, mid to high end stand alone embedded Units, OR PC based, not OEM types, will give you multi DVR network software, though its not like local video quality (non networked video).

GE rocks the bomb on stand alone embedded DVRs and they can use existing CCTV monitors. They have various models especiually one that is slim and can be rackmounted one on top of the other saving space (DVMRe-CT - my favourite RTOS DVR )

But I thought you said in another thread you were more into the PC based with lots of spare parts?

Yes you get higher quality image from most stand alones, on CRT CCTV monitors. Though with PC based DSP cards, you can also add these cards to get high quality images out to the CCTV Monitor or TV ..then have the features of the PC DVR.

A 1 channel DVR add on to a mux CAN be cheaper ... but in the long run, for extra features, even if using an embedded stand alone DVR, you get more features with the all in one, as well as faster recording speeds, and smart motion recording.

Basically you need to decide PC or RTOS, PC - more features and faster speeds, RTOS slower but Plug and Play anywhere.

Basically what brands can you get where you are?

If you use networked video for the DVRs you can use a 27 or 34" LCD or Plasma and watch 30+ cameras at one time in 1 window .. with GE for example you can view 64 cameras and 16 DVRs in one multi view. PC Dvrs like Geo and Iview give you around 30-36 and they also offer even more features.

Rory

Yes, I am still inclined towards PC-based DVRs.

Wow, plasma?? It is gonna cost right? I know it will look impressive on the wall and even help clear up the cramped space in the CCTV room but the cost of plasma screens might just wipe the budget!

27 or 32" LCD Monitors are really cheap now ($800 US) .. over Plasmas ...they are still very large and can fit alot of cameras on them ....

You dont need a plasma, what Rory is saying is that if you wanted to watch all cameras at once you need a big view.. most remote applications these days allow you to connect to multiple DVR's (one brand) at one time to view all cameras at once. but what Rory is saying is that if you had 16 cams at each site then 48 cams on one screen would mean each image would be so small that it would be to hard to watch unless you had a bocoo sized montior.

Lets face it unless you are onsite with these cameras your not going to want to connect to 48 cameras at one time anyhow, perhaps one DVr at a time therfore up to 16 cameras per time.

you could add a single ch DVR and leave the mux, but then you limited with image size and features for searching, in relaity it would be best to have 3 DVR's the same and open 16cams max at a time or make a gorup list of your fave cams from each store to watch remotely..

Rory is spot on about standlone being better quality to view than PC, after all resolution is what prosecutes and Standalones are king for this the GE is awesome so too is Bosch Divar and Dedicted Micros.

iIf you go for PC's then you will get more features, but less resolution and therin lies the choice. reliability is better on a standalone but PC's are good if well built.. however that is rare these days.

My suggestion is throw the Mux..sell it on Ebay put in 3 x Standalones and watch one shop at atime to reduce bandwidth, that way you only need one monitor.. or run two times the applications on one pc and use a twinview video card allowing to XVGA montiors from one PC

Well, I am inclined to getting rid of the muxes and matrix switchers, and have a neater setup of just DVRs.

It's just that it seems such a waste to throw the muxes and MS's away.

sell them .. how old are they ..? Maybe just use them for other Multiple views you may need around the property .. like you may need 9 on 1 monitor/tv while you may need 4 or 16 on some others ...

Yeah, the first thought of course is to sell them but the next question is who to sell to? I did ask my CCTV contractors if I could trade them in but they declined. Not surprising as they probably want me to just get them to get rid of it and then they will sell for their own profit!!

Well, this is hard to do when dealing with company assets! We have company procedures in dealing with disposal of assets.