smorton

Installation along city streets and highways

I'm interested in outdoor installations over large distances -- along city streets and along highways -- with large numbers of cameras. I'm especially interested in the communications and network aspects.

What can people tell me about the equipment and networks they used, their experience with them, and any installation suggestions ? How was the equipment powered ? How much do such long-distance installations usually cost ?

Thank you.

-- Steve

One guy to atlk to in here is DataAve. He does a plethora of these type projects and can probably tell you in summary what you need to know.

The most important factor with a project of this nature is $$$$$. The more of that you can get, the better it will work.

scottj

your looking at a fiber backbone if you want it to work great. Anything les is going to cause you headaches. Your project sounds like a local Gov thing so you'll need to be extremely talented in providing a acurate bid. If your running all the fiber your bid will be hard to put together but you can do it. If it were me, I'd get a quick sub involved to provide the fiber bid and then you can add in your camera bid, add it up and submit it. Make sure you look outside the box and you might be able to sell the fiber as a gov wide upgrade? Or, ask if you can bid the camera's only? Stick with your talents, you'll be happier

Ha, finally someone from my neck of the woods!!!!!!

Is this for the state, or a local gov? I just did a bid to upgrade city hall here in Waterbury and let me tell you, PAIN PAIN PAIN PAIN. Just be ready to wait a year after job's complete to be paid in full. The only good side is that it's a great marketing technique.

Welcome.

yeah i stay far FAR away from government jobs down here. They want to only put up 10%, then like Herm said, well down here they only pay the balance maybe 1-2 years later .. forget them!! They can keep the eclipse cameras cause I dont work foe free!

Oh yeah, in CT you may have to join a Union to get gov work ..

It is good because if you get contract after contract, that is a large steady flow of income. It also gets you into the right circles (politically). Like herm says, looks good on paper too.