Sign in to follow this  
rovermedia

Dvr through PC with 4g usb device?

Greetings all. I'm new to the cctv world and in need of help (and patience). Looking to remote access my dvr. I have the computer connected to internet via 4G USB device. No router. My question: how do I configure my DVR and PC to allow remote access to system? is this even possible? eveything i've researched points to the router configuration to open the ports. But if i don't have a router.....I've connected the DVR to my PC with an ethernet cable in an attempt to set up a VPN. Would remote desktop allow me to set this up?

THanks for the replies

I'm running XP home edition

You are trying to set up a VPN on an internal network? You must have a switch or router or modem or something somewhere? You are going to have a hard time keeping track of an IP address with a 4G stick. How does your pc get a network connection?

To access from the outside you have to port forward to the machine that you are trying to access, and Im going to assume you have a dynamic IP address which means you will need DDNS to keep track of it for you or to tie it to a URL or something.

When you say VPN I think you mean a bridged connection? Can you explain your setup a little more, why not just plug the DVR into an ethernet port, or does it not have one in which case I doubt it will support the 4G USB card.

Can you explain a little more and I will try to sort it out for you? It is completely doable just need more info.

Hi I'm attempting to do the exact same thing with my setup. I have a 4g usb which has a static IP address. trying to connect my work PC and DVR through the ethernet ports to be able to view my cameras remotely. When I connect the ethernet cables (crossover cat 6) the computer tells me "more than one connection is not supported" I'm also running XP home edition which I was told does not have the remote access feature needed to complete this type of setup. Any information will be greatly appreciated.

thanks

My DVR has an ethernet port and supports 3G mobile viewing.

its a Zmodo 4ch DVR

To both posters, most likely the best option would be to add a 4g router like the ones from Cradlepoint, WiFiRanger, or others, then you have the option of connecting multiple computers to your 4g modem, and configuring necessary port forwarding and DDNS configuration through that device.

Hi. it can be expensive setting up a system like this. so you need to check a few things first. a normal 3g/4g dongle will not allow you to connect in (most only allow out) so you need a dongle with a broadband data plan for 3g or 4g. T-mobile over a good rate as does AT&T and vodafone for security products.

then once you have that set-up all you will need is a 3g/4g router ... many do one .. netgear d-link and you can then just set your system up as you would over standard internet. dongles have a fixed ip as standard.

Hello, thanks for the replies, my understanding was that with a static IP which this 4g USB device provides (sprint) I would be able to connect the DVR to my PC with a crossover cable and then access my PC via remote desktop. The PC connects to the internet through the 4g usb device, not the router. Are you saying that the router (if i had one connected to PC) would allow me to access the DVR? wouldn't the router have to have an internet connection to it? like a DSL line. Or could i configure the router to use the USB device as the internet connection?

Very confused.....

Hello, thanks for the replies, my understanding was that with a static IP which this 4g USB device provides (sprint) I would be able to connect the DVR to my PC with a crossover cable and then access my PC via remote desktop. The PC connects to the internet through the 4g usb device, not the router. Are you saying that the router (if i had one connected to PC) would allow me to access the DVR? wouldn't the router have to have an internet connection to it? like a DSL line. Or could i configure the router to use the USB device as the internet connection?

Very confused.....

yes thats all you need. saves having to use a laptop or pc. you just use a netgear router 3g to put your dvr on the net.

netgearE220-1.jpg

thanks for the pic. So I guess I need a router?

Just to clarify:

get router, connect dvr to router, connect USB device to router and voila! i would be able to remote view through router?

i guess i would also need a USB to ethernet adapter to connect the USB device as the uplink for the router?

There are specific routers made that accept a 3g/4g USB modem plugged directly into them (some are the ones I mentioned above, plus other brands are available). Then, all configuration for adding a DVR/NVR after that is similar to any other broadband setup with a router.