Toaster

D1 @ 30fps, CBR... 2048k or 1536k bit rate? Big quality diff

Good question. It is quote normal for DVR's to record at lower frame rates at higher resolutions. You will probably notice that the "stop and go" video is at a higher resolution than your CIF. You can get DVR's that record at D1 at full frame rate but the prices increase significantly for those types.

Thanks!

With the information you provided, I found a parameter that I had missed.

The default parameter for "Frame Rate" is Fixed. I changed it to Manual and was able to tailor it for the maximum rate spread across all 9 cameras and went back and tweaked one camera that I wanted better frame rate for with the remaining FPSs.

Checked it - No more pulsing!

Great Help on this board!!!

Norm

For me it's all about motion sensing and being choosy about the hours per day I actually record. But being residential, I have that luxury. I only record 12am- 5am each night. I'm home enough otherwise, and between 9pm-12am I'm monitoring closely, live. The witching hour is 12am-5am and I can even be more specific and say it's more like 1am-4am. That's the sweet spot to worry about most. But I'm not comfortable recording anything less than 12-5am. Since I remotely monitor all night long, I can disable a camera recording if it turns out large files are being dedicated to the web building quest of a freakin spider. Or if the damn thing just dangles about half the night. If rain pulls in or if it's just raining steady all night, I turn off recording all together, figuring even criminals avoid crime during heavy rain storms, but monitor that much more closely live. I'm not about to fillup my hard drive on rain drops, that's for sure. But for me- it's motion sensing. And I've really sculpted the detection zone per camera as specifically as I possibly can, which helps a lot. But I can't wait until it gets cold enough for the flying insects and spiders to just die, die, die! That accounts for 100% of my triggers thus far and truthfully, may it continue. I'd rather be annoyed than in a panic. I set my post trigger recording to the lowest setting- 30 seconds. This helps keep file sizes small too. If it's continued motion it'll keep recording anyway. But if it's a passing bug, better to quit after 30 seconds. I keep my pack set at 15 minutes, and my eight cameras at D1[x2], and HD1[x6] at 20fps. Triggered file sizes with those settings are typically between 2mb-4mb, bigger for moronic stubborn bugs. All that considered, my 500gb hard drive has plenty time/room for recording. But that's a residential luxury, with me being able to actually monitor live all night long.

One thing I may do is not backup if needed, but run my video software to do a screen recording of the event. At high resolution settings in the software, it would surely be quicker to backup that way rather than rely on the dvr or that software re-rendering to avi, a horribly slow process it seems.

Dan