vic_salve

My home system........Am I on the right track?

Hello,

I'm looking for a little help & guidance in the CCTV I'm designing for my home. Here's what I have in mind:

I plan on having 3 cameras in the house. One each in the two children's rooms and one in the play room. I also am planning on having up to 5 cameras outside. At first I think I'm only going to view 2 inside and 2 or 3 outside. I don't know anything about cameras other than what I have learned online. I need infrared cameras inside and out. I’d also like all cameras to have audio, but haven’t been able to find many cameras with this feature. Any suggestions on cameras, manufacturers, and online places to buy, or anything would be appreciated.

Here’s how I plan on laying out the system. I’m going to run RG-59 from all cameras to the master bedroom. I have planned on doing this so I can have a sequencer in the bedroom that we can control there. I thought of putting in the mechanical room, but would have a long walk every time we wanted to change the settings. All cameras go into the sequencer and then out down to the mechanical room where that signal will enter into a one or two channel modulator. From the modulator I will combine that signal with the house cable and send that signal to TVs in the house that I want to be able to view the cameras. The power for the cameras will run on AWG 18 wires from each camera to the mechanical room into a power center.

That’s what I’m thinking. I haven’t purchased anything yet so I’m wide open for suggestions and any help you guys can offer. All this is simply out of my head, so if I’m way off base with this let me know. I’m just a guy trying to set up a system that we can watch the kids and sections of the house as well.

Thanks

Hello Vic and welcome.

First thing, Why don't you do something like this:

Run all your wires to your mechanical room, and place a DVR back there. You didn't say if you where using a PC based, or Stand Alone DVR. Either one, you will have the capability to use a infrared remote control. Let me give you a scenario that I did for a client. I installed 12 cameras all over his house, ut he wanted to be able to install everything in the basement, but he also wanted to be able to see the cameras from any TV in his house. So what I had my installers do was install everything in the basemet, and from the DVR, run a line to a RF transmitter, and tapped into the main cable line in from the cable company. Now, he has all of the cameras in channel 76 in all TV'S in his house, and from control, it was easy. I got him a Infra Tansmitter, and put the transmitter in his bedroom, and the reciever in front of the dvr, so with the remote in his bedroom, he can control everything while he's in bed, no need for him to go downstairs.

Another Thing, make sure that the wire you use is at least 95% copper braided. Don't use aluminum.

Hope this helps.

Well, I really don't think I'm interested in recording. I only want to use this system to monitor. Mostly the baby's room at night, outside around the house at night, and during the day to see if anyone is coming up to the house. I thought of using a infrared transmitter, but wasn't sure how to use them with the system that I described.

Thanks

If you dont need recording, your cheapest option is a 4 channel processor, this will split it into a quad screen and just connect monitor out to a modulator and then into the tv system.

There's processors now that give you a ir remote, it will scan,select camera full view and even give you picture in picture.

Well, in all honesty, for the cost of a low end DVR, you might as well put one in, since a quad is going to cost you anywhere between 150-300, depending where you get it.

The observations systems look good, but I think they are out of my price range. I thought I might be able to get my system on the go for about $750-1000 for everything. Maybe I'm dreaming or haven't checked it out well enough.

I like the 4 channel processor idea, but would like to be able to expand up to 8 channels. I am going to install wiring for up to 8 cameras, but will only use 4 or 5 at first. I would need a processor that handles color and audio. It would be nice if I could control it remotely as well. That way I could install that stuff in the basement and control it from the bedroom. Anyone have any experience or knowledge with this type of processor?

How about cameras? Are these things worth a darn?

http:// http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=48629&item=5786888391&rd=1

Edited by Guest

Thanks herminshs. I figured that was a junk camera, but you never know. Thats why I'm here asking. I'll keep looking.

Sorry about not being able to post a url. I coudn't figure it out.

garbage

You got that right!

Vic please dont skimp on the camera's , if you buy cheap you will buy twice!

When i started out i was looking for the cheapest, its false economy, ive a loft full of crappy cams in a box.

Read the threads , theres some excellent cams that wont break the bank

Ok. Any suggestions? Am I crazy to think I can get a camera for $100 or less? I'd like cameras with audio as well if possible.

Thanks.

I wouldn't look on EBay unless you're looking at used. The question becomes, which is more important, money or quality?

Well, I'm just looking for a setup at the house that will allow us to see what's going on in the areas where cameras are located. If the camera gives me an ok picture and doesn't die after about a month, then I think that's what I would want. Just understand that I don't know anything about cameras and setting up a system other than what I have read. The cameras on ebay had audio with the cameras. I have had trouble finding this on other sites. Any and all suggestions are very welcome.

One thing I need to know soon is about running wire. I'm working on a new construction home and will need to run wire very soon before sheetrock goes up. Is my best bet for this to run RG-59 and then 18 AWG for power to all camera sites and then worry about getting equippment later?

I would because it would be easier. But something to keep in mind. If you go cheap, the cable is the last place to go cheap. You can upgrade cameras later. You can upgrade DVR later. But replacing the cable...have fun.

i would run 1x RG59 siamese, and then a small multi pair UTP as well. That way if you decide to go PTZ or use UTP (or even just baluns), you are set.

herminshs, I believe you are right. I know, I know. I should have listened. Now I think I might go with a PC based DRV, run all wires to mechanical room, and get some type of control from the bedroom. I've studied some more on this forum and hope to work it out. I still need to make sure that I can get audio from the cameras to the selected rooms where cameras will be viewed. I will have to study more on the DVR PCI cards and software.

Would a cat5 wire run to each camera be good for the UTP multi pair?

How about another Camera link?

http:// http://www.mace.com/products.php?model=CAM53CIR

Just found a thread that said Mace is Crap as well. I was hoping that one might be ok. Oh well.

Edited by Guest

mace is cheap stuff, stay away from it.

Cat5 would just mean you can only use 1 camera and 1 power for the camera. Multipair would give you options for PTZ and others as well.

Hey Vic, I'm sending you a PM later tonight to explain to you what you should do.

If you run Cat5 to the cameras then (with baluns) you can use it for up to 4 cameras or run 3 cameras & ptz control or 1 camera & power for a short run.

Vic... you stated you did not want to record, well then you really dont need a DVR.. my suggestion is

1/ Run all cameras to the room you want to look from, pipe them into a 8channel switcher, buy one with a remote control so you can change the input, then put the input of this into a RF modulator so that every room can see it through the telly.

The advantage is... save heaaps in cost.. switchers are next to nothing, the way it will work is, on your AV input in the bedroom telly you can view every camera, on every other telly in the house it rotates through the pictures, unless you buy a 4ch RF modulator.

This is the most cost effective and allows you to be able to spend more money on teh important thing, lower light cameras, one last note.. thomas is right.. run UTP, FIG8 24020 cable and RG59 to each camera, no doubt things will change later and having spare cat5 with slack will never be a waste.

Dont use ****ty cameras it will only cost you the same as they will not look as good as time goes by.

How about power to the cable. I know everyone suggests 18 AWG 2 conductor, but does it matter what kind. Would thermastat wire be ok to use. I can get it a lot cheaper than regular 18/2. $0.19 as opposed to $.08 per foot. What do you think???