Numb-nuts

Play misty for me--NOT!

I have recently purchased a bullet style sealed IR camera from a reputable dealer in the Ireland from whom

I bought my first camera. It's not a low end camera but nor is it a megabucks camera either.

It has just started misting up on occasion, if it were a box camera with a separate housing I would just fit a heater

element if it didn't already have one but my bullet style camera is supposedly sealed against moisture.

questions.

1. Do you think the moisture build up is on the outside?

2. Is there something simple I can do to minimize the chances of this happening regularly?

NB. I think opening the unit may invalidate the warranty so would prefer not to do that.

any help or guidance, tips or realistic suggestions etc would be greatly appreciated

Well after the amazing response from everyone--- NOT I decided to get the ladder out and climb up.

The camera is full of condensation so I removed it and replaced it with a spare I had in the drawer.

It has only been up 3 weeks tops and is an IP66 rated so I am surprised it got water in so quickly.

When it is replaced, I think I'll have to protect it in some way with a plastic bag or something else.

Maybe I'll wrap self amalgamating tape around the back plate area. Any ideas welcomed.

Chinese manufactured!

IR creates heat, heat and cold variances creates condensation. The IP66 rating refers to external moisture entering

the casing, i imagine.

Condensation forming at the interface between hot and cold environments is a natural phenomena - maybe IR is not the way to go!

I have recently purchased a bullet style sealed IR camera from a reputable dealer in the Ireland from whom

I bought my first camera. It's not a low end camera but nor is it a megabucks camera either.

It has just started misting up on occasion, if it were a box camera with a separate housing I would just fit a heater

element if it didn't already have one but my bullet style camera is supposedly sealed against moisture.

questions.

2. Is there something simple I can do to minimize the chances of this happening regularly?

NB. I think opening the unit may invalidate the warranty so would prefer not to do that.

any help or guidance, tips or realistic suggestions etc would be greatly appreciated

Throw a desicant pack in there. I just purchased a number of the 3 gram packs that have a self stick side and individually packaged.

questions.

Throw a desicant pack in there. I just purchased a number of the 3 gram packs that have a self stick side and individually packaged.

That still requires opening the unit which he would prefer not to do

ALL, note ALL cameras can get condensation, not just IR cameras, there is not one single brand ive tested or used that didnt get it at one time or another. One thing I noticed is cameras coming in brand new from the Northern US (Cold climate). Once they get here sometimes it requires a full dry out time, here in the tropical heat thats at least 2 hours, or overnight in the garage. This means opening it up ofcourse, there is NO OTHER WAY.

So dont blame the make or model, Ive had it happen to bullets AND domes, from dead cheap to mega expensive, and other form of cameras like the $1500 Extreme CCTV EX82s. Ive also had alot that it never happened too, again, from $20 cameras and up. Someones it only takes opening a camera for a minute to adjust it and a rain drop getting in ... been there DONE IT.

You can stick in all the desicant packs in the world but it would be best to dry it out and seal it back again good (many actually come with the packs already). Additionally sometimes if it is exposed to direct HEAVY rain, especially with Domes but I have a bullet that got hit hard by rain also (missing the sun shield) then that can happen that way as well (I had to caulk up the area that was exposed).

Chinese manufactured!

IR creates heat, heat and cold variances creates condensation. The IP66 rating refers to external moisture entering

the casing, i imagine.

Condensation forming at the interface between hot and cold environments is a natural phenomena - maybe IR is not the way to go!

Chinese manufactured!

the casing, i imagine.

They are all Chinese to me! Condensation is all very well but they close these units in an arrid dry environment where the hmidity is strictly controlled. Also the fact that there was salty type deposit in the camera where the water had pooled, leads me to believe the water was from rain infiltrating the casing.

I have sent the camera back to the vendor in Northern Ireland, whom I trust completely and instead

of replacing it I am going to buy an external housing and a low light varifocal DD lens and body camera. I think it will probably withstand the

weather in the exposed position the camera occupies better and I can put silica sachets inside too..

I don't feel it was a poor camera, I just feel my choice was poor given the exposed exposed location. IP66 bullet cameras are not made to be left out in an exposed position. They are meant for an outdoor but slightly sheltered mounting like under the eaves of a roof. This camera is mounted at the gable end of the house at second floor height adjacent to the guttering between buildings, facing in the direction of the wind, in what I call a wind corridor. I will select a good heated enclosure with fan.

I understand what you are saying Rory, it makes perfect sense that nothing is absolutely waterproof unless it is cased in rubber.But the exposed location was the problem not the camera. A mast in a field you would not expect to see the IR bullet camera, but you wouldn't be surprised to see a couple of enclosed cameras up there in the wind and rain would you? I am finding these things out the HARD way!

I understand what you are saying Rory, it makes perfect sense that nothing is absolutely waterproof unless it is cased in rubber.But the exposed location was the problem not the camera. A mast in a field you would not expect to see the IR bullet camera, but you wouldn't be surprised to see a couple of enclosed cameras up there in the wind and rain would you? I am finding these things out the HARD way!

Yeah they will hold up once they are sealed, bullets and other similar cameras. Domes I found dont though without extra caulking but thats because the back of them are typically somewhat exposed. I have bullet cameras out on locations (and here at my own place) exposed direct to 100% heavy tropical rain for years now, even hurricanes. Not every camera is made alike though. And in many cases what can happen with bullet cameras is if you tug on the wire going into the rear of it too much it can open up a path for water, thats the most common place for water to get inside a bullet camera, and why whenever I install one outside now (unless its under an eave) I caulk around that hole (unless its cable pass through a mount then its normally okay). I open and gut most bullet cameras I have come into contact with, and putting it back together one can normally see if there is a weak point.

I hate using caulk but I will have to consider using it in some situations I think.

Today I ordered what I consider to be a very versatile body camera to replace the IR Bullet cam.

Take a look and see what you think.I have had to order a heated housing but then I always knew

I was going to do that because of the exposed position of mounting the unit.

I also ordered the 3.5-8mm varifocal lend with DD It should fit the bill quite nicely. I didn't really want IR anyway

as it reflects off the vehicles I want to monitor with this camera and there is a low level of street lighting too which should suffice. I can always tack up a PIR security light if the light isn't adequate.

WOW, my new camera and housing arrived today and the housing is so heavy duty

it's virtually bulletproof. The glass is like 6mm thick and there is an O ring type seal

all the way around the opening. The heater is very substancial, I am using 12 V @ 1 amp

The IP rating is IP68 and the manufacturer name cast into it is TransPac. I bought it under

the Genie brand though It just reeks industrial quality. I also taped a bag of silica gel pellets

inside as suggested and this cannot hurt at all. I usually reserve the silica gel for junction boxed

Rory, I don't think I will need to apply any silicone to this beast.

The camera has installed with no problems, I will attempt to re-drill the mount holes

on the wall tomorrow weather permitting. I just need to fine tune the focus in situ.

Can't wait to see what it's like in low light, the spec promises to be great in low light.

Thanks for all your useful comments, they have been quite helpful and given me many

things to think about.

Yeah normally no need to caulk a box camera housing

I recently installed 13 of them on one job, they are more work than a dome or bullet though.

But then you can change cameras, for this job I used them incase they want to change some to MP cameras or even just better analog ones like Panasonic, the CNB Box cameras suck by the way, its normally the other way around but their domes are a better image, even having used an expensive lens for the box camera.

CNB ? I don't think we have that brand in the UK. Good job by the sound of it.

NO the camera I ordered is a direct import by my supplier from the far East, not sure it might be Korea

but everything I have bought from him has been good. He very quickly gets rid of a product if it performs badly.

From the view I had of the picture on my tester it looked pretty good, but until fine focused in place it's difficult to tell.

I am expecting good things after dark as I did away with the IR altogether.

If all goes well and I expect it to, this experience is going to change the way I look at outdoor static cameras in the future. I have to admit I do like the ability to swap out cameras and lenses into the existing housing. More flexible.

I also think that only initial setup is more work, but after that, all connections are present and varifocal lenses take seconds to set up. very fast changeover.

An enclosure is for life, not just for Christmas

I bought a new drill today as the chuck on my dad's old Black & Decker , finally gave up.

so I bought another drill. I need it to fit the new camera enclosure I was talking about in this thread.

UPDATE:

The drill was absolute CRAP! The chuck feel out when I was up the ladder and the chuck key didn't fit properly so I couldn't tighten it.

Here are a few images of the new housing

5821711999_5a332b9737-1.jpg5822275522_5c3979235f-1.jpg

UPDATE:

I joined the 21st century and purchased a Makita SDS drill, goes through masonry like a hot knife through butter

and better still, It's very light to handle. Haven't tried it on heavy steel or Concrete, but I don't think it'll give me any trouble.

Edited by Guest

show off....

looks just like the maxon housing hop you used some good screws on that beast.

give you another tip. (funny enough had to do this in manchester) if you get something like cheese wire and fix one end to the wall just above your camera then bring it over your camera to below. will stop anyone being able to throw a rope over it.

what part of manchester are you in >>>> may have some camera replacment work for you.

Nice

Whats the box for though?

or was it just left from the bullet camera connections?