towermaintenance

How to integrate IP system into existing network

I am wits end with this video system. System is (4) mobotix cameras, qnap459, cisco wireless router, computer and monitor to only display the camera.

This was a working system at building we purchased.

Wireless router ip address is 195.85.1.1 and cameras are from 195.85.1.225 to 228.

Prior to moving the system, to access the 1st camera, I just had to type http://195.85.1.225….

I moved this system to our current building which as multiple switches and routers in the 169.23.1.X range.

With the viewing computer, when I connected one wire from existing switch to port 2 of the cisco wireless router, able to get internet. However, I can’t access individual Mobotix cameras like before.

When I disconnect the wire between the switch and port 2, no internet, but able to access the cameras.

Advance gratitude for your help.

:? I am wits end with this video system. System is (4) mobotix cameras, qnap459, cisco wireless router, computer and monitor to only display the camera.

This was a working system at building we purchased.

Wireless router ip address is 195.85.1.1 and cameras are from 195.85.1.225 to 228.

Prior to moving the system, to access the 1st camera, I just had to type http://195.85.1.225….

I moved this system to our current building which as multiple switches and routers in the 169.23.1.X range.

With the viewing computer, when I connected one wire from existing switch to port 2 of the cisco wireless router, able to get internet. However, I can’t access individual Mobotix cameras like before.

When I disconnect the wire between the switch and port 2, no internet, but able to access the cameras.

Advance gratitude for your help.

Hi. did you install the mobotix at your first location ??? do the mobotix show up at all

195.85.1.x is a "routable" subnet.

It is specifically assigned as follows:

BRKs-MacBook-Air:~ brk$ whois 195.85.1.225

#

# Query terms are ambiguous. The query is assumed to be:

# "n 195.85.1.225"

#

# Use "?" to get help.

#

#

# The following results may also be obtained via:

# http://whois.arin.net/rest/nets;q=195.85.1.225?showDetails=true&showARIN=false

#

NetRange: 195.0.0.0 - 195.255.255.255

CIDR: 195.0.0.0/8

OriginAS:

NetName: RIPE-CBLK3

NetHandle: NET-195-0-0-0-1

Parent:

NetType: Allocated to RIPE NCC

Comment: These addresses have been further assigned to users in

Comment: the RIPE NCC region. Contact information can be found in

Comment: the RIPE database at http://www.ripe.net/whois

RegDate: 1996-03-25

Updated: 2009-03-25

Ref: http://whois.arin.net/rest/net/NET-195-0-0-0-1

OrgName: RIPE Network Coordination Centre

OrgId: RIPE

Address: P.O. Box 10096

City: Amsterdam

StateProv:

PostalCode: 1001EB

RegDate:

Updated: 2011-03-15

Ref: http://whois.arin.net/rest/org/RIPE

ReferralServer: whois://whois.ripe.net:43

OrgTechHandle: RNO29-ARIN

OrgTechName: RIPE NCC Operations

OrgTechPhone: +31 20 535 4444

OrgTechEmail: do_not_email@ripe.invalid

OrgTechRef: http://whois.arin.net/rest/poc/RNO29-ARIN

RTechHandle: RIPE-NCC-ARIN

RTechName: RIPE NCC Hostmaster

RTechPhone: +31 20 535 4444

RTechEmail: search-ripe-ncc-not-arin@ripe.net

RTechRef: http://whois.arin.net/rest/poc/RIPE-NCC-ARIN

#

# ARIN WHOIS data and services are subject to the Terms of Use

# available at: https://www.arin.net/whois_tou.html

#

% This is the RIPE Database query service.

% The objects are in RPSL format.

%

% The RIPE Database is subject to Terms and Conditions.

% See http://www.ripe.net/db/support/db-terms-conditions.pdf

% Note: this output has been filtered.

% To receive output for a database update, use the "-B" flag.

% Information related to '195.85.0.0 - 195.85.127.255'

inetnum: 195.85.0.0 - 195.85.127.255

org: ORG-DA10-RIPE

admin-c: PL4834-RIPE

tech-c: SL5260-RIPE

netname: DK-DANISCO-970206

descr: DANISCO

mnt-by: RIPE-NCC-HM-MNT

mnt-routes: AS15411-mnt

mnt-lower: AS15411-mnt

source: RIPE # Filtered

organisation: ORG-DA10-RIPE

org-name: DANISCO

org-type: LIR

address: Danisco A/S

Per Lahrmann

Langebrogade 1

DK 1001 Copenhagen K

DENMARK

phone: +45 32 66 20 00

fax-no: +45 32 66 21 61

e-mail: per.lahrmann@danisco.com

admin-c: PL4834-RIPE

admin-c: SL5260-RIPE

mnt-ref: SE-COLT-MNT

mnt-ref: RIPE-NCC-HM-MNT

mnt-by: RIPE-NCC-HM-MNT

person: Per Lahrmann

address: Langebrogade 1

1411 Copenhagen K

Denmark

phone: +45 40460515

mnt-by: as15411-mnt

nic-hdl: PL4834-RIPE

person: Steffen Lindemann

address: Langebrogade 1

address: 1411 Copenhagen K

address: Denmark

phone: +45 51169075

nic-hdl: SL5260-RIPE

mnt-by: as15411-mnt

% Information related to '195.85.0.0/17AS15411'

route: 195.85.0.0/17

descr: Danisco Enterprise Network

origin: AS15411

mnt-by: AS15411-MNT

So, in your first building the routers and network were setup to know that this publicly routable subnet was in fact in that very building.

When you moved all the cameras over to the new building, you didn't do anything to configure the routers there. So, when you try to go to http://195.85.1.225 from your 169.23.1.x subnet, the PC says "that address is not local, let me send these packets to my router so they can go to the Internet". Then, your router tries to send those packets out to where it expects that address to be (presumably the other building). But, of course the cameras are no longer there, so the whole thing fails.

You basically need to re-address the cameras to have IP addresses on the subnet they are now installed on.

the problem will still exist with the mobotix. if the ip has changed then the mobotix will need a reset . (though engineers code) so if he did not install in the first place and does not know the password then thats going to be a problem.

and if the ip checker is right above. then the camera has also not be moved from a local location but to another country.

so if that is correct. towermaintenance can you please pm me if you are from danisco. you allready have a number of mobotix in the group.

Good Morning Gentlemen:

Hi. did you install the mobotix at your first location ??? do the mobotix show up at all

We did not install the equipment. The computer had no internet access, only local area network. All cameras showed up when I entered http://195.185.1.225.

When you moved all the cameras over to the new building, you didn't do anything to configure the routers there. So, when you try to go to http://195.85.1.225 from your 169.23.1.x subnet, the PC says "that address is not local, let me send these packets to my router so they can go to the Internet". Then, your router tries to send those packets out to where it expects that address to be (presumably the other building). But, of course the cameras are no longer there, so the whole thing fails.

You basically need to re-address the cameras to have IP addresses on the subnet they are now installed on.

We are 90 miles north of Houston, TX, USA. I am confused of Danisco.

My error. Our current building LAN address is 192.168.1.xx range, not 169.23.1.X range. We have (4) switches and (2) wireless routers attached to this working network.

So according to your suggestion, since we have internet in the current building, forget the cisco wireless router that came with the system and start addressing the cameras, qnap within the 192.168.1.xx? Basically I can't have 195.85.1.x and 192.168.1.xx within the same network?

the problem will still exist with the mobotix. if the ip has changed then the mobotix will need a reset . (though engineers code) so if he did not install in the first place and does not know the password then thats going to be a problem.

and if the ip checker is right above. then the camera has also not be moved from a local location but to another country.

I have all the passwords to the cameras

Much thanks.

Can you paste the response of an 'ipconfig /all' command from the viewing machine, both before and after being connected to the second network?

I have a suspicion what may be happening...

We did not install the equipment.

do you know the login for your mobotix cameras. i.e can you get into set-up

am in the uk so not much help to you. if you have not worked with mobotix before then save pulling your hair out you are best contacting a mobotix agent just to talk you though some settings first to make sure you are not locked out from your camera.

the wireguy is a mobotix tech. drop him a email or pm. memberlist.php?mode=viewprofile&u=5992

Am I missing something here... Who uses LAN addresses that start with 195 (can you have LANS with 195? aren't they public domain IPs?) and then migrate to LAN addresses beginning with 169...

169 addresses are usually self assigned because the DHCP cant be found.

Which would imply that on the 2nd network there is no DHCP which probably means no NAT which is...

What the hell?!?!??!?!?!?

**EDIT**

Oh you said your current range is in the 192 range, ok that's better.

Ok this is what I think has happened. I'm still struggling with the ip addresses beginning with 195 but I'll take a guess. The 195 address range is public*. But since you didn't have internet on that network (presumably) then which ever muppet set up the network, created a stupid ip range, but it worked because there was not net connection (or something to that effect). Once you connect yourself to the net, the IPs on the cameras break because that range is public and not reserved for LANs.

Suggestion that you readdress all the cameras to something normal like 192.168.x.x

I have no idea how your network is run between your 2 sites, but you'll probably also need to fix it up a VPN or something so that you can have the 2 sites connected if they aren't physically connected. If they are physically connected (ie connected to the same switch(es)) then just readdress the cameras to 192.168.1.x

That SHOULD fix the problem.

*Further reading.

the Internet Assigned Numbers Authority designated 3 separate ranges of IPs to be LAN only and not listed in the public domain. These were 192.168.x.x, 172.16-31.x.x and 10.x.x.x

Anything else outside of these is a public IP and can be assigned to any device connected to the internet.

Can you paste the response of an 'ipconfig /all' command from the viewing machine, both before and after being connected to the second network?

I have a suspicion what may be happening...

OK, just to make sure I am able to change the address of the mobotix cameras and cisco router, I spent the whole morning changing from 195.85 to 172.72.

Just like before removal, I am able to retrieve the mobotix cams by typing http://172.72.1.225....

Per your request:

NO CONNECTION TO SWITCH

Windows IP Configuration

• Host Name: Gateway

• Primary Dns Suffix:

• Node Type: Unknown

• IP Routing Enabled: No

• WINS Proxy Enabled: No

Ethernet adapter Local Area Connection 2:

• Connection-specific DNS Suffix:

• Description: Intel Pro/100 VE Network Connection

• Physical Address: 00-0C-….

• Dhcp Enabled: No

• IP Address: 172.72.1.50

• Subnet Mask: 255.255.255.0

• Default Gateway: 172.72.1.1

CONNECTION TO SWITCH

Same as above

CONNECTION TO SWITCH AND ENABLE DHCP IN NETWORK ADAPTER

Windows IP Configuration

• Host Name: Gateway

• Primary Dns Suffix:

• Node Type: Unknown

• IP Routing Enabled: No

• WINS Proxy Enabled: No

Ethernet adapter Local Area Connection 2:

• Connection-specific DNS Suffix:

• Description: Intel Pro/100 VE Network Connection

• Physical Address: 00-0C-….

• Dhcp Enabled: YES

• Autoconfiguration enabled: Yes

• IP Address: 172.72.1.148

• Subnet Mask: 255.255.255.0

• Default Gateway: 172.72.1.1

• DHCP Server: 172.72.1.1

• DNS server: 172.72.1.1

• Lease Obtained: Thursday…

• Lease expires: Friday…

Please note with switch connection and DHCP enabled, I still cannot get internet and still able to access cameras.

Professors and gurus, next step?

Thanks

Okay, like Campbell says, I think the problem here is that when you're connected to the rest of the network, the PC is seeing 172.72.* as an internet-addressable network and is trying to go to that through the router. When you're not connected to anything else, the computer has nowhere TO go other than the cameras.

Apparently your router/DHCP server is configured on LAN to use the 172.72.* network, and *this is wrong* for the reasons that Campbell and BRK outlined. Your *entire network* should be using either something in the 192.168.*.* range, or 10.*.*.*, or if you want to use 172, keep the class B octet to within 16-31... otherwise you WILL have problems.

See http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Private_network for more info.

Okay, like Campbell says, I think the problem here is that when you're connected to the rest of the network, the PC is seeing 172.72.* as an internet-addressable network and is trying to go to that through the router. When you're not connected to anything else, the computer has nowhere TO go other than the cameras.

Apparently your router/DHCP server is configured on LAN to use the 172.72.* network, and *this is wrong* for the reasons that Campbell and BRK outlined. Your *entire network* should be using either something in the 192.168.*.* range, or 10.*.*.*, or if you want to use 172, keep the class B octet to within 16-31... otherwise you WILL have problems.

Thanks for your explanation.

Can I have (2) LAN addresses within the same network? Like 192.168 for existing and configure the cisco wireless router for 172.17 for the mobotix cameras?

Again, thanks to all of you, I have learned so much.

Can I have (2) LAN addresses within the same network? Like 192.168 for existing and configure the cisco wireless router for 172.17 for the mobotix cameras?

Yes, you certainly can. But a device with a 192.168.x.x IP address cannot talk to a 172.17.x.x device (even if they are on the same switch) without the aid of a router.

You also have the ability to bind multiple IP's to a PC. So the PC could be on both networks and use the 192.168.x.x subnet for Internet access and the 172.17.x.x for camer access.

Yes, you certainly can. But a device with a 192.168.x.x IP address cannot talk to a 172.17.x.x device (even if they are on the same switch) without the aid of a router.

You also have the ability to bind multiple IP's to a PC. So the PC could be on both networks and use the 192.168.x.x subnet for Internet access and the 172.17.x.x for camer access.

That would be my suggestion as well. In fact, this is exactly how I do it for one customer, using 192.168.2.xxx for my DVR/NAS/camera network and 10.0.xxx.xxx for their corporate network - per the diagram below:

Generic20network20layout-1.gif

DVR is multi-homed here as well: one adapter with multiple different IPs, allowing it to communicate one both networks, without the two networks being able to communicate directly.

Soundy,

That is exactly what I would like to do to my current building.

On Friday, I did the following:

I changed the cisto wireless router to 172.17.1.1 and the Mobotix to 172.17.1.235 to 172.17.1.238

I plugged our current building wireless router (192.168.1.1) from port 2 to port 2 of the Cisco router.

Using one of the building’s desktop that is currently working, with default - “obtain an IP address automatically”, I can use the internet. However, cannot communicate with the cameras.

If I change that computer setting to ip address of 172.17.1.99, no internet. However, I can access the cameras.

My question is what I do so that (5) of the desktops in the building can access the cameras while still having internet….

Much thanks for your help.

You need to give the computer IPs on both networks.

In Windows, when you're in the TCP/IP settings, you want to set it for "Use the following IP address", then hit the Advanced button.

Under IP Addresses, hit Add, then put in your IP for your main LAN (192.168.1.whatever), and the proper netmask, then hit OK. That allows the machine to communicate with other machines on the 192 network.

Then hit Add again, and give it an address on your camera network (172.17.1.whatever), with the proper netmask as well. That will allow it to communicate with anything on the 172 network.

Then under Default Gateways, hit Add, and put in your router's IP (192.168.1.1). That tells it that for all other IPs, to send the connection via that address.

Finally, on the DNS tab, add your router's IP (192.168.1.1), otherwise you'll be able to connect to the world, but you won't be able to look up domain names.

Soundy, I drove 118 miles round trip from my home to work, in thunderstorm, to try your suggestion.

IT WORKS on the my computer. I could not try the other computers because the storm knocked out electricity. THANK YOU.

It has been hard on us. Our building was bought by a foreign owner who has no concept of procuring employee royalty. He has never visited our building. Our operation budget was slashed 70%. We were forced to do everything ourselves. Anything that we hire/subcontract out will effect our salary. You are a life saver.

I should have taken networking classes, not classes in clown school.

Thanks to your previous advices, I was able to integrate the cameras into our network and it worked extremely well.

Last week, we got Comcast Static IPs. Per your advice, I changed the cameras into 192.168.1.220 to 223. Each of the camera had port 5001 to 5008 in the router. This work beautifully.

Camera Lan IP http port https port To access camera

1 192.168.1.220 5001 5002 http://xxx.xx.xxx.xxx:5001

2 192.168.1.221 5003 5004 http://xxx.xx.xxx.xxx:5003

3 192.168.1.222 5005 5006 http://xxx.xx.xxx.xxx:5005

4 192.168.1.223 5007 5008 http://xxx.xx.xxx.xxx:5007

xxx.xx.xxx.xxx – Single Comcast Static IP

To be honest, I don’t know whether above configuring was the best way, but worked and never failed.

Now this is where trouble started. For tiny tiny monthly saving, the owner switched to AT&T DSL with (5) Static IPs.

The static IPs info are (these are not exact numbers):

Static IP: 100.71.23.25

Range: 100.71.23.24 to 31

Gateway: 100.71.23.30

Subnet: 255.255.255.240

Primary DNS: 58.84.156.1

Seconday DNS: 58.84.157.1

AT&T gave us 2-wire 2701hg-b which is a modem/wireless router combo. I can access the 2-wire by typing: 192.168.1.254

I spent close to (4) hours today with AT&T tech support. Going through (4) technical support persons, each tell me to configure the cameras and the 2-wire different ways. NONE of the configuration worked.

If you were I, how would you attack the problem? Going back to Comcast is no longer possible. We are now stuck with AT&T.

Again, you pros are my guiding light. Thanks

Because you have a bank of IPs rather than 1, it means you can no longer just type in an IP to connect to your router. (well I suppose you could, you just try all 5 and figure out which one gets through) You can try using dyndns or similar service which creates an a worded address for a continuously changing IP. Its like mycomputer.dyndns.org. This should be an option in your router.

Additionally, you'll need to reconfigure your router again to forward the various ports again and make sure that the cameras still have their fixed IPs (there's no reason why they shouldn't but check it anyways). And make sure the router is set up the same as the Comcast one.

Rather than trying to set the gateway up the way your router was before, I would have left the router and existing network exactly the way it was... then plug the router's WAN port into one of the gateway/modem's LAN ports, give your existing router a LAN IP on the gateway's LAN, and set that IP as a DMZ in the gateway's setup. That way, *all* incoming connections to the 2-Wire are simply passed straight through to the existing router, and everything there is handled as it was before.

The gateway itself should display the outside IP it's using, or just go to http://www.ipchicken.com on a PC on the same LAN... no need for DynDNS or any sort of DDNS service.

I have actually done this exact kind of setup, when one of our customers had their basic DSL modem die, and the only thing readily available to replace it was one of these all-in-one modem/router gateway units.

Rather than trying to set the gateway up the way your router was before, I would have left the router and existing network exactly the way it was... then plug the router's WAN port into one of the gateway/modem's LAN ports, give your existing router a LAN IP on the gateway's LAN, and set that IP as a DMZ in the gateway's setup. That way, *all* incoming connections to the 2-Wire are simply passed straight through to the existing router, and everything there is handled as it was before.

The gateway itself should display the outside IP it's using, or just go to http://www.ipchicken.com on a PC on the same LAN... no need for DynDNS or any sort of DDNS service.

I have actually done this exact kind of setup, when one of our customers had their basic DSL modem die, and the only thing readily available to replace it was one of these all-in-one modem/router gateway units.

Allow me to reiterate.

My cisco router lan ip is 192.168.1.1 while the gateway lan ip is 192.168.1.254.

Ethernet gateway lan port to cisco router WAN port.

This step is where I am confused - "give your existing router a LAN IP on the gateway's LAN"

I can DMZ per instruction

Thanks

Hmmm, well, it SHOULD work if you set the Cisco's WAN port to use DHCP (if it's not already), and let it pull an IP from the 2-Wire... then set that IP as a DMZ in the 2-Wire. It would probably be a good idea to set one or the other to a different class-C subnet (ie. the Cisco's LAN side is 192.168.1.*; change the 2-Wire's LAN side to use 192.168.2.*, so the Cisco's WAN port would be a 192.168.2.* address), but it SHOULD work the way it is.

When I get on my main computer, I'll do up a little diagram of what I'm talking about...

Is the 2wire a routing device? What about the Cisco? You can't have one router behind another, causes hell with NAT.