Hi

I want to set up 3 IP camera network; I have opted for Cat5 cable instead of the usual BNC.

So wha do I need? Switch or Router

A switch....

or if you have a router with open ports that will work as well as well..

If you are out of ports on your router, get a switch and plug it into your router, and then the camera's into that switch that way they will all be on the same network..

A router can be a little more convenient if you want to use DHCP for your cameras, and of course, is necessary if you want internet access to them (assuming you don't already have a router for that)... but as Angus says, a switch is normally all that's required. A router is essentially just a switch, network bridge, and firewall all in one box, anyway.

A router can be a little more convenient if you want to use DHCP for your cameras, and of course, is necessary if you want internet access to them (assuming you don't already have a router for that)... but as Angus says, a switch is normally all that's required. A router is essentially just a switch, network bridge, and firewall all in one box, anyway.

thanks Angus

I have a virgin cable brodband standard motorola modem with the usual yellow ethernet cable from modem to my pc. So there are no more ports, but I were to get a switch I could plug the pc in to the switch and the latter in to the modem, right?

Soundy mate, are you saying that if I have a switch I will not be able to access the camera footage from over the internet?

Sorry, but I just want to be sure before I start buying things.

Okay, in this case, you definitely want a router. Most cable ISPs only provide you one IP, so assuming this is JUST a modem (not a gateway device of some kind) plugging everything (including the modem) into a switch would not work.

Also, plugging your computer directly into the modem leaves it open to direct access from the internet... adding even the most basic wired router is something I recommend everyone do, to add a strong layer of "physical" security.

As for my comment, "necessary if you want internet access to them", I meant, as opposed to just having the cameras and PC plugged into a switch that's not connected to anything else (like the modem or a router).

Okay, in this case, you definitely want a router. Most cable ISPs only provide you one IP, so assuming this is JUST a modem (not a gateway device of some kind) plugging everything (including the modem) into a switch would not work.

Also, plugging your computer directly into the modem leaves it open to direct access from the internet... adding even the most basic wired router is something I recommend everyone do, to add a strong layer of "physical" security.

As for my comment, "necessary if you want internet access to them", I meant, as opposed to just having the cameras and PC plugged into a switch that's not connected to anything else (like the modem or a router).

you beauty,

thanks for explaining this in laymans terms; it is beginning to make sense.

now then, which tried and tested router for Virgin Media Broadband?

hi are you on virgin uk ???

yes mate

now then, which tried and tested router for Virgin Media Broadband?

hi are you on virgin uk ???

yes mate

hi. if you only have broadband from virgin. then i would go with either the netgear or belkin cable router.

if you dont know much about networking then go for the belkin cable router (it has 1 press button set-up)

you can get either from pc world remember to ask for a cable router. not a ADSL

something like this

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=380323807703&ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT

Belkin F5D5231 4 Port Wired Router

just checked PC worls and currys; all are wireless

chekcde all mainstream router brands they are all in to wireless

any way thanks

you can switch wireless off if not needed. the one in your link is to old

http://www.pcworld.co.uk/gbuk/belkin-f7d1301uk-surf-wireless-cable-router-06042892-pdt.html

something like this

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=380323807703&ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT

Belkin F5D5231 4 Port Wired Router

just checked PC worls and currys; all are wireless

chekcde all mainstream router brands they are all in to wireless

any way thanks

you can switch wireless off if not needed. the one in your link is to old

http://www.pcworld.co.uk/gbuk/belkin-f7d1301uk-surf-wireless-cable-router-06042892-pdt.html

thank you very much

I'll pop over and buy one tomorrow............good night mate " title="Applause" />

Shouldn't matter what router you get, your broadband provider won't care. I'm generally a fan of D-Link, but Netgear and Belkin are solid too. Ultimately, you shouldn't require ANY setup to get online, beyond possibly telling the router what sort of broadband connection you have (something that's usually done during the initial setup wizard).

hello all, getting there slowly

need a poe switch can any one reccommend reliable ones for 4 camera domestic set up?

cant decide between trendnet, netgear etc

would this be suitable (TP-LINK TL-SF1008P)

http://www.amazon.co.uk/TP-Link-8-Port-Switch-Including-Ports/dp/B001PS4NRM/ref=sr_1_1?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1309099878&sr=1-1

check out the review at the bottom re "Please be aware that this device only provides 802.3af type A power - power and data on pins 1+2 and 3+6.

It will not support (the more common) type B - data on 1+2 and 3 + 6, power on pins 4+5 and 7+8. "

Makes me cringe