destro_23

Just got a hold of an Arecont - how to get ip?

Just got a hold of an Arecont AV5100- how do i get the ip address? or reset to factory defaults?

thanks!

googling everything now

that link almost helped... i downloaded and installed the Arecont AV100 software and it still doesn't find it (looks like it only searches local network)

i go into my router and look for all connected devices and don't see anything either...

It looks like the camera may be hard coded to a different ip/subnet.. i just spoke with the person that i got it from... he'll ask his tech guy and get back to me

is it on the local network?

If not, you'll still need to factory reset it, so why not pull it down and plug it into a local network and set it up before you put it back up.

Try setting your pc to a static lan ip address connect the camera to the pc with a crossover cable, run AV100.

it's connected to my local network... My guess it's hard coded a different ip / subnet .. He said hell contact his netowrking guy on monday.. I'll try the crossover cable tomorrow... Gotta make one.

and the av software won't see it

Edited by Guest

firewall completely off.. av100 still finds nothing.

i'll try and make a patch cable... but even then to see the camera wouldn't i have to be able to guess the ip range? or should it automagically see it?

it looks like the program only searches local network addresses (and yes it's plugged directly into my local network) ... all the additional ones you see are from my VMWare's machines. firewall is completely down and i've added arecont programs to accepted list.. and there is NO AntiVirus running now.

A factory reset button with paperclip is looking like a good idea at this point lol

arecont.thumb.png.08d55e7089a25b58e53ff99950ed8584.png

2 options.

1) Paperclip in the back of the camera

2) Take camera down and run on an isolated network with just a computer, switch and the camera.

Please note that option 1 requires much less fiddling and it really only takes about 5 minutes to reconfigure. Option 2 will help you diagnose the problem for future reference.

i don't see any reset holes... i don't think you can do that on these cameras...

I really think if there is a hard coded ip... lets say 10.1.10.1 and my ip is regular linksys 192.168.1.1 there is no way it'll see it unless i guess the ip address range.. i don't think it's set up as dhcp to grab any address. worse case they should let me know tomorrow

I believe most of these "finder" utilities use ICMP or some other low-level, non-routed communication, so the camera and the computer don't have to be on the same subnet initially. They're generally designed to find the camera, even if it has no IP configured at all (IQ cameras come from the factor with no IP, for example), and allow you to give it an IP, after which normal configuration steps can take over.

i don't see any reset holes... i don't think you can do that on these cameras...

I really think if there is a hard coded ip... lets say 10.1.10.1 and my ip is regular linksys 192.168.1.1 there is no way it'll see it unless i guess the ip address range.. i don't think it's set up as dhcp to grab any address. worse case they should let me know tomorrow

The camera can be on a different subnet.

Set up an isolated network then. Just a laptop/pc, a switch, the poe and the camera.

Oh... there's a thought. The camera is plugged into a PoE port or injector directly with no other devices in between? Again just something else to check.

Set up an isolated network then. Just a laptop/pc, a switch, the poe and the camera.

Oh... there's a thought. The camera is plugged into a PoE port or injector directly with no other devices in between? Again just something else to check.

just tried this... same thing... doesn't see it.. i'll just wait till monday see what they say..

firewall completely down, both laptop and camera plugged directly into home linksys router... maybee i'll try at different location later on tonight.. OFF TO THE BEACH!!!

just tried this... same thing... doesn't see it.. i'll just wait till monday see what they say..

firewall completely down, both laptop and camera plugged directly into home linksys router... maybee i'll try at different location later on tonight.. OFF TO THE BEACH!!!

Where's your PoE injector?

New Jersey baby!! today was a perfect day for it.... i'm a little further south so no to many fist pumping steroid eating new yorkers. (yes further up north it's FULL of them what you see on MTV is actually very real)

i don't have a POE injector i have it connected to a power supply. And i'll just wait to hear from them tomorrow.

Also when i click on "scan" it only takes like 2 seconds to return "no camera found"

Final Answer - My windows 7 with all firewalls off and AV of... still blocked it somehow.

I put it on another network with winXP and the AV100 software found it right away. WTF waist of 1.5 days of my life

You will find the camera even if is on a different subnet using the AV100 software.

Actually, it probably won't.

The "discovery" packet that the AV100 software sends out is a UDP datagram sent to the local subnet's broadcast address (i.e. 255.255.255.255) - an address that most routers, by design, will not route off of the originating subnet. Now some routers can be configured to forward broadcast packets from one subnet to another (e.g. so that one DHCP server can serve addresses to multiple subnets), but this is the exception rather than the norm.

This "magic packet" is one of the things I really dislike about Arecont Vision cameras, BTW. Most other brands of IP cameras that I have dealt with give you alternative methods of configuring their cameras that don't involve having to install some special software package that you don't ever plan to use.

You will find the camera even if is on a different subnet using the AV100 software.

Actually, it probably won't.

The "discovery" packet that the AV100 software sends out is a UDP datagram sent to the local subnet's broadcast address (i.e. 255.255.255.255) - an address that most routers, by design, will not route off of the originating subnet. Now some routers can be configured to forward broadcast packets from one subnet to another (e.g. so that one DHCP server can serve addresses to multiple subnets), but this is the exception rather than the norm.

This "magic packet" is one of the things I really dislike about Arecont Vision cameras, BTW. Most other brands of IP cameras that I have dealt with give you alternative methods of configuring their cameras that don't involve having to install some special software package that you don't ever plan to use.

I know it works because I have done this many times. I do like the Av100 software for one reason and that is you don't have to log into every camera to set them up. You fire up one piece of software and everything is right there. That is about the only thing Av100 is good for. I am very surprised Arecont has not released newer better software.

Camera isn't crazy impressive.... i'm prob going to change it's position to a place with less backlighting..

here is an older vivotek 7138 1.3 MP

and a shot of the Arecont. (i'm kinda surprised at how little you can adjust the camera compared to Acti or vivotek.

Yes i still need to play with settings and there is a Pentax lens on it.. may need to play with that more too..

Any recommended settings with what you see? there are only a few things i can change.

2011_06_21_14_03_01.jpg.25a1e3f70cabccb4ea4bf8607f2ca3e9.jpg

20110621-15_05_51.thumb.jpg.2585528f9ce8bb7b3ad7b7ceba62feba.jpg