It is good that cctv helped find the London bombers.

When it was announced that the cctv on the bus was not working I felt really bad, now I feel a little better.

Today's paper stated there are 4.2 million cctv cameras in the U.K, 250,000 in London & that we are all captured by 300 cameras every day.

Cheers to that mate!!!!

Well, at least there is one country that has seen the value of CCTV. Just for discussion, what other country is the same in ways of using CCTV extensenvly?

Four and a quarter million CCTV cameras in the U.K., and the vast majority are not actually set up properly

The only pictures of the bombers released so far, are'nt all that good (what a surprise).

The most recent news reports state that 6,000 videocassettes have been seized by the Police, with some suggestions that this could eventually increase to perhaps 25,000, and yet not one word has been said about reviewing any DVR recorded material.

I would imagine it's a bit of a race against time to retrieve any DVR material before it's wiped off. And that's just the good news

didnt know they were still that oldschool in london .. so they have $5000 extreme cameras on the streets, but what are they using to record that video??

i was just telling the guy i work with, to stop selling the rich (filthy rich) cheap cameras, they can afford the best, so sell it to them, and make some money and they are going to be happier with a better image. The problem is that they are not educating their clients on the differences between low end and high end ... as far as video quality, dvr features, and stability goes .. not too mention they pay less to put the budget stuff in as I dont install them normally .. ;-0

Hey rory,

The main problem over here is lack of knowledge. It's not unusual for some very reasonable equipment to be set up badly, and then it's a complete waste of money. Lots of 'installers' can plug the bits togethor, but they don't really know how to use it properly. Very depressing!!

Unless the security services are getting assistance we don't know about, the very many hundreds of CCTV cameras used for vehicle plate recognition as part of our 'Congestion Charge ' scheme, actually stop recording beteen 6.30 p.m. and 7.00 a.m. Now that's useful.

Incidentally, if you want to drive into Central London, it's roughly the equivalent of US$ 13.00 per day to enter the zone, and then US$ 5 per hour to park.

yeah i used to drive into the city, but that was way back when, early 90's, i was driving a mini cab in southall near heathrow and occasionally took fares into the city .. dont remember getting charged anything back then though

Same here, as far as installers without a clue. .. and these guys are getting the majority of the jobs. They let the distributors send them whatever the distributor in miami has in stock .. they dont use proper wire, dont use the appropriate camera, in majority of cases dont install it properly, and in almost all cases, dont know how to use the system themselves let alone show the client how to ...

Looks like they are getting ready to put up a couple Extreme CCTV licence cams at a new roundabout here ... Hmmm, will wait and see if they hire foriegnors instead of locals, cause ill be hunting down someone in the immigration office ..

originally posted by rory:-

They let the distributors send them whatever the distributor in miami has in stock .. they dont use proper wire, dont use the appropriate camera, in majority of cases dont install it properly, and in almost all cases, dont know how to use the system themselves let alone show the client how to ...

Over here, we call them "installation engineers" .... amongst other things!

Cooper what happened there today? Im lost ... was it a bomb or was it a hoax?

Four small devices exploded, three on London Underground tube trains and one on a bus. One person injured who is thought to be a bomber, but they all managed to escape.

At this stage, we have not been informed whether these were viable devices which malfunctioned, or simply 'copycat' attacks by 'amateur' terrorist sympathisers. Either way, it caused a lot of problems in general, and a heightened level of anxiety, particularly as we have been having numerous security alerts all over the city, for the last couple of weeks.

Fingers crossed, if the CCTV was working on this bus and they actually get some decent images from the train systems, there should be some arrests within the next few days, we hope!

They seem to be taking this very seriously & think it might be the same type of thing as the 1st bombing but that the explosive (home made) might have deteriorated & so not worked.

I really hope they have got good images on the station & bus cctv systems so they can get these bastards fast.

Interesting developments,

Bus camera and station CCTV has led to four not exactly brilliant images of suspects being released to the Press and Media this afternoon.

This morning, following what was described as "an intelligence led operation", one suspected bomber was shot dead (on a train) by armed plain clothes police officers, in South London.

The race is on to catch the others, and the general mood is of people waiting to see where they will strike next. The sad fact is, nobody knows how many of "the others" are out there.

It will be interesting to see what level of security there is when I drive into the city tomorrow.

Well it looks as if they have got the 4 they were looking for and every news program has been saying "caught the suspects seen by cctv".

Even calls them bastards on the front page of todays Daily Mirror.

Yeah, but they shot a brazilian man that had nothing to do with it. Man I feel for that family, but unfortunately, the way things are today, I don't really think that the cops have much of a choice wheather deciding if it is a innocent civilian or a terrorist running into a station with a backpack on them, refusing orders to stop. I mean, what if he was a terrorist and the cops never shot him? That could have been a bomb that he was carrying and blown it up down there in the station.

It's very unfortunate.

Not the way the Brit Police do it Data.

By all accounts, the Brazilian who was shot had an expired visa, which possibly explains why he ran when challenged by armed police - all will hopefully come out in the inquiry.

It's somewhat ironic that when the failed suicide bombers were cornered, they were seriously scared they were going to be shot. I suppose if they're shot that cancels out their ticket to paradise. Mind you, shooting a bomber with a Tazer stun gun is a very interesting way to find out if he's wearing a device.

Quite frankly the next few weeks are likely to be the highest risk period. If further dormant cells are activated before the authorities can track them down, their controllers may just want to prove that they are still able to strike at will.

Cant remember, but is Southall Pakistani or Indian .. i used to live there back in early 90's ... those are the type of areas I guess they are searching now ..? I mustaf been dee only caucasian driving a mini cab back den!