Sign in to follow this  
smartboy

Audio over cat5?

Hello all

I have at last managed to set up my cctv and can view online hurrah, special thanks to soundy and tomcctv.

I have set up Cat5 to non poe via splitter; I thought that I could get audio via cat5 so why cant I hear any sound?

PS how does the sensor thing work?

sorry for being such a noob, some of us just cant help it

id think cat5 is too thin, ive used telco wire in the past for short distances but even that is not recommended. Also you have to power the mic, and the wiring will differ from one to the next.

CAT5 is not too thin to transport audio.

Audio line level (2.0V peak-to-peak or around 0.7VRMS) is a bit higher than analog video level (1.0V peak-to-peak). But that's at line level. Microphone (mic) level is on the order of 1000 times less: typically 2mV (2 millivolts or .002V) Unless you use a powered amplifier (either separate or built into the microphone) at the mic end, line noise is likely to overpower the microphone's output; even if you amplify the signal at the receiving end.

Also, the nominal input impedance for line level audio is higher (2-10k vs. 75 ohms), leading to less loss per foot. However, capacitance has a greater effect so high frequencies will tend to attenuate faster.

I have set up Cat5 to non poe via splitter; I thought that I could get audio via cat5 so why cant I hear any sound?

if your ip cameras have audio (built in mic) then you need to do two things. login to your camera with its own software and enable audio. then log back in with your server software and under camera settings in the Vivotek ST3402 you will see image / audio / or image and audio. click image and audio box.