dancctv

power supply cackle

Hi guys,

my knowledge of cctv is not great but after several incidients recently i invested in a Sentient system from Maplin. I set it up and it was working great, after a few days though I noticed that when I moved the power supply I could hear the electric inside the power supply cacling, sounded like it was sparking inside. I thought this was not right so I replace the power supply at the shop, the same thing happened with the new one. Then I replaced the whole system, power supply and cameras included and after a few days the same happened.

Its got to the point now where you move the power supply and it trips the hole dvr machine, it will turn off completly and not come back on all night thus rending it useless really

Any suggestions please guys, has anyone heard of this before.

Does it sound like a bad batch?

thanks for reading

Hi guys,

my knowledge of cctv is not great but after several incidients recently i invested in a Sentient system from Maplin. I set it up and it was working great, after a few days though I noticed that when I moved the power supply I could hear the electric inside the power supply cacling, sounded like it was sparking inside. I thought this was not right so I replace the power supply at the shop, the same thing happened with the new one. Then I replaced the whole system, power supply and cameras included and after a few days the same happened.

Its got to the point now where you move the power supply and it trips the hole dvr machine, it will turn off completly and not come back on all night thus rending it useless really

Any suggestions please guys, has anyone heard of this before.

Does it sound like a bad batch?

thanks for reading

hi. the first thing we do with maplins stuff is put in the bin. maplins dont have bad batches they buy and sell graded units. end of line and returned systems.

this has been brought up on the forum before. you are best taking your system back for a full refund. if not buy some good smoke alarms (not from maplins) power supplies that arch out is just a fire waiting to happen

wow i guess i suspected that but was really hoping it may be normal cos i need my cctv and i tied to a strict budget but no amount of money is worth what could possibly happen

thankyou very very much for this info, i will be taking your advice immediately

wow i guess i suspected that but was really hoping it may be normal cos i need my cctv and i tied to a strict budget but no amount of money is worth what could possibly happen

Hi. for the same price as the maplin system. you can get 4 cameras and a 4way dahua DVR. if you get your money back from maplins ill send you a link.

cameras: you can get high quality used cameras from ebay! (i am listing 3 later) or brand new not so good ones from china! (via ebay)

dvr: once again. good second hand one from ebay, or cheap not so good brand new one from china. OR get a dvr card for your pc! (about £20 from ebay) and use you pc as a dvr!

i have gotten ALL my cameras from ebay. some new crappy china ones for areas where quality is not that important and i have gotten second hand really high quality cams for £30!!

if you want the link to the cameras i am selling pm me!

power supply's: you guessed it, EBAY or any electrical shop.

hope this helps!

- luke

Tom

sure please send me the link of the system you found i would be very interested, especially if you recomend it and for the same cost of what i paid i cant complain at all

Survtech

A hen, whats that mean?

Tom

sure please send me the link of the system you found i would be very interested, especially if you recomend it and for the same cost of what i paid i cant complain at all

Survtech

A hen, whats that mean?

hi pm sent ... dahua and qvis cameras.

Hi. for the same price as the maplin system. you can get 4 cameras and a 4way dahua DVR. if you get your money back from maplins ill send you a link.

Hey Tom,

Can you also PM me those links I have been searching everywhere for sources to put together a system. I am in NC USA. I would like a good 16 ch. Dahua as well if I can find one here. Also, I have been having a hard time finding a good power supply. I am going to order the cams from & wiring 123 i guess i can't find a better place. Your help would be greatly appreciated........

Mini