HiddenMountain

Newb nervous about wiring Ultrak PTZ

After googling till my fingers bled, with nary an answer in sight, I thought, WTF, this is why I joined this forum.

I recently purchased a used system from our very own SEANHAWG and he has been great. He went on vacation though, and even though he said he'd answer emails while lounging by the pool, I don't want to bug him with this.

(Just wait till you get back though bud )

Ok, it's an ULTRAK KDSA00N1. It's probably a no-brainer to the experts, but I ain't no expert!

I need to know what wires go where.... or if wires go "where"....

Video, ok, not that dumb.

24V, there are 2 terminals marked 24V and a common in between.

There are TX- & TX+, RX- & RX+, and a ground

I'm not too concerned about the alarm connections....

Sean set the DVR's , (a QVIS Appllo 1U) channel 1 for the PTZ before he shipped it, so that part is already done, but after that it's kinda like driving in the dark with no headlights.....

Any help you all could share with this neophyte will be very much appreciated.

Jon

24V, there are 2 terminals marked 24V and a common in between.

That'll be your 24VAC power input - the common/ground isn't needed. Just hook them up to a 24V transformer of appropriate capacity (at least 40VA, I would expect... 75VA or higher if it has a heater/blower).

You only need the RX pins for the RS-485 control lines. Those will connect to the serial or PTZ outputs on the DVR (possibly labelled with "TX" - you're connecting the TX (transmit) pins on the DVR to the RX (receive) pins on the camera).

Those should be all the connections you need (along with the video, of course).

You only need the RX pins for the RS-485 control lines. Those will connect to the serial or PTZ outputs on the DVR (possibly labelled with "TX" - you're connecting the TX (transmit) pins on the DVR to the RX (receive) pins on the camera).

+1

on your apollo the pins are marked as A & B you will find them on the bottom green connector strip just above were you put your network cable in. (last 2 on the right looking from the back of your dvr)

so >>> RX+ connect to A ..... RX- connect to B (using data cable from ptz to dvr i.e cat5)

I'm Baaaaaack!

Feel free to email me with any questions.

Actually what I do is I hook up the RS-485 positive wire to the TX+ input on the camera and hook up the RS-485 negative wire to the TX- input on the camera. I have never hooked up the wires to the RX+ and RX- on the camera, not to say that it wont work, just have never done it so I'd recommend hooking it up just like I did to be safe. Now on the back of the Apollo DVR, you will want to hook up the RS-485 positive wire to the input labeled "A" and the RS-485 negative wire on the input labeled "B" Dont get your wires crossed during this time!!!

For power just like soundy said, you simply plug one wire into one 24VAC input and one wire into another 24VAC input. You ignore the middle ground input. On the other end, you simply plug one wire into one terminal on the power supply and another wire into another terminal. You cant get your wires crossed on power so no worries there. Feel free to shoot me an email with any problems, questions, or anything.

Feel free to shoot me an email with any problems, questions, or anything.

I have this nagging pain in my lower back...

And what can you tell me about mutual funds?

I have this nagging pain in my lower back...

Too much lifting big crt test monitors up ladders

And what can you tell me about mutual funds?

Dont invest. The USA is getting ready to default on their debt which will in turn screw up the entire stock market. Put money under mattress.

Yeah, that's wut I'm sayin....

Well, now I feel like getting on the Surgeons Forum and asking about brain surgery! How hard can it be with all the pros right there to help!

Sean, what are you doing man? There is no way you can "re-create" in 2 days

I got almost all of my cable runs done yesterday. (I'm leaving the 2 long outdoor ones until I find a suitable grunt to dig trenches and lay conduit.) So today is "dangling off steep roofs and hook up day".

Sean, thanks for the tutoring. I have been know to screw up toast, so pray that I get this right.

Also, the 24AC power box has way more connections than I need. Iffin I was to disconnect one of the transformers, which one?

As for the RX vs TX thing, no offence guys but we'll be doing it Seans way.

And as for the lower back pain and mutual funds questions.....

I find that back pain goes away after about the fourth beer and you can't eat gold or silver.....

As for the RX vs TX thing, no offence guys

i would check .... the world standard for TX and RX is TX = is transmit (send) from DVR. RX = receive (income) at PTZ the apollo may keep rebooting if you get a receving signal back though A+ B- the transmit

Well now you got me nervous

So I had to double check.

I tested his camera with the Apollo DVR that I sent him with the wires hooked up to the TX+ and TX- and it worked like a champ. I also have the same PTZ and the same DVR hooked up in our warehouse and have it hooked up for a while the same exact way with no problems.

So I had to double check to see if it worked on the RX+ and RX- and it worked like a champ that way as well.

I dont know why I have always hooked it up to the TX+ and TX-, thats just the way I have always done it from the get go when I very first started with these and since I have never had to daisy chain a PTZ I havent had to use both connections simultaneously. And since it has worked, I have never put any though into doing it another way. I hook up our other Costar PTZ's like that as well.

So if you havent already hooked it up, its probably best to hook it up to the RX+ and RX- like Tom and Matt said just in case you need to daisy chain another PTZ someday. But if you did already hook it up that way and dont feel like messing with it anymore, no worries as that as how we have had our Ultrak hooked up for almost a year with a few different DVR's and controllers with no problems. Sorry for any confusion

Thanks to you all for your advise!

The story so far.......

I have almost all of my cameras wired and ready to go. Manroom wiring is neat and organized as per the wifers demands... ... ... PTZ will be bench tested once I'm confident that everything's hooked up right.

The DVR is set up but not plugged in.

Now, my ISP has assured me that we have a static IP, which is good. However, he said we need a switch BETWEEN the modem and the router that the DVR is attached to. This is where a beer or seven is looking like a good option.... Computers and I are not friends, let alone something as alien as networks! I have yet to figure out how the whole thing works, let alone hooks together

As much as I would like to get my toy working tonight, I think it's best if I study my next moves carefully, BEFORE I turn everything on.

And just for good measure.....

Any last thoughts?

follow our internet tutorial first and see if this gets you anywhere as a switch may not be needed:

Please see my email about hughes net. You may have problems with them as I have had problems with them getting it internet workable in the past when they were my ISP. In order to get it working, you have to upgrade to their static IP plan. If they told you that you already have a static IP, then hopefully you already have that plan in place but please note that its a possibility that you may not as they normally do not put that plan in place unless you specifically ask for it (and charge you extra for it). If I read your email right, you have another ISP that you use too? If so you may want to try that too. Anyways, try out the tutorial first to see if that gets you somewhere and report back with your findings.

follow our internet tutorial first and see if this gets you anywhere as a switch may not be needed:

Please see my email about hughes net. You may have problems with them as I have had problems with them getting it internet workable in the past when they were my ISP. In order to get it working, you have to upgrade to their static IP plan. If they told you that you already have a static IP, then hopefully you already have that plan in place but please note that its a possibility that you may not as they normally do not put that plan in place unless you specifically ask for it (and charge you extra for it). If I read your email right, you have another ISP that you use too? If so you may want to try that too. Anyways, try out the tutorial first to see if that gets you somewhere and report back with your findings.

No, Hugenet is not our main ISP anymore, we even got FAPped today and we barely even used it! We also have a Line Of Sight ISP called "lookieloo. Strange name but at least it's fast. Pings at between 15 and 20 consistently.

That's not our problem at the moment though...

It's a good thing that I have lots of hair, because I'm ready to pull it out now

We need to use IE to set the router and DVR up, correct? I can access the router's admin page no problem on Firefox, but IE won't let me in! 401 error FORBIDDEN!!! effin complicators!

Sooooo, now what? I tell ya, geeks are getting back at me for being mean to them back in the day.....

And I forgot to put more beer in the fridge!

We will overcome!

You only need to use IE to access the remote network viewer. You can feel free to use firefox to access your routers admin. You can actually use Firefox to access your remote viewer but for now just use the IE way and once we get that down, we'll move on to the firefox method.

Good Morning..... stretch......

Thanks for that bit of good news Sean.

My first big task is getting my DVR recognized by my router.

I've had to delve into the innards of the router when I set up my Nettalk VOIP device a few months ago, so I might even have a clue as to how to do this!

It's a Cisco/linksys E1000. I have overcome the password problem in IE and am ready to make the necessary adjustments..... carefully....

Once I get this mastered, it should be fairly straight forward.....