engr.jay08

Help need in IP based CCTV

Dear All,

I am installing a cctv system for the palace of a king. I am confused about some questions. Please help me in following

I am using IP cameras, and the last ip camera is on about 500m distance from switch, so which media should I use between that camera and switch. If I use fiber optic, then can I convert UTP to fiber optic, then fiber optic to UTP again for switch?

2- If I use 2 switches, half cameras for one switch and half cameras for other switch, then how can I use a single System manager for those switch, and also how can i configure DHCP for both in order two keep them in a single environment.

I am using IP cameras, and the last ip camera is on about 500m distance from switch, so which media should I use between that camera and switch. If I use fiber optic, then can I convert UTP to fiber optic, then fiber optic to UTP again for switch?

Yes, but you'll probably find it easier and more cost-effective to just use some ethernet extenders - there are models that will do it over single pair, UTP, and coax. There are three example here, but there are numerous other similar options available.

2- If I use 2 switches, half cameras for one switch and half cameras for other switch, then how can I use a single System manager for those switch, and also how can i configure DHCP for both in order two keep them in a single environment.

Are you talking about two switches, or two routers? Two switches, you can just connect together with another ethernet cable. Or just get one big switch for all the cameras, and be done with it. Are you using PoE to power the cameras?

If you're using two routers, you'll need to disable the DHCP server in one of them. Personally, I recommend hard-coding the IP addresses into the cameras - if you leave it to DHCP, there's always a chance, however slight, that one or more cameras could lose its address, or simply have its address change, and that would mess up proper recording.

Dear Sir,

I am talking about two switches, that if I used 60 cameras using PoE, and I used 3 swiches for them, then how can I combine them within a single ip domain.

If I used DHCP server on a single switch, then will it allocate ip address to all the cameras that are connected to other two switches? if yes then how, ? if no then what should be the solution for all the camera to bring them in a single domain using three switch...

thanks for your coordination.

Regards,

Junaid Khan

Switches are transparent to IP networks and domains - just connect them together. If you're using switches with DHCP services, then you'll have to turn off the DHCP on two of them - there should normally be only one DHCP server on any network.

From the scope of this design, though, it sounds like you'd be better served to hire a proper network engineer - 60 cameras is going to be a very heavily-trafficked network and you could run into issues without proper design.

Thanks alot sir, actually this is my first IP cctv project, I have to design security of a palace where i am using 60 mobotix camers, I have an option to use as much network devices as I want for Qos,

so I decided to use three layer 3 cisco routers (3550,3560) each for 20 cameras.

then connect all of three with fiber optic link, and monitor and store from a central control room. I hope you have understand my design, can you tell me is there any good solution than this one?

if yes then please share with me.....

Br,

Junaid Khan

dear, My system is working , but it is too much slow, I am unable to trouble shoot, can any one help me that how to increase speed of my ip devices....

I am using two 3560 cisco switchs as medium between those two devies, is the problem with the processing power of switch ? if not, then whats the problem, ?

dear, My system is working , but it is too much slow, I am unable to trouble shoot, can any one help me that how to increase speed of my ip devices....

I am using two 3560 cisco switchs as medium between those two devies, is the problem with the processing power of switch ? if not, then whats the problem, ?

From the scope of this design, though, it sounds like you'd be better served to hire a proper network engineer - 60 cameras is going to be a very heavily-trafficked network and you could run into issues without proper design.

Hi

From my experence using the Mobotix cameras is they have severly understated the bandwidth requirement for each camera. I can see that you may need to reduce the frame rates and resolution for all cameras. A typical Mobotix srteam can run up to 6Meg of bandwidth multiply this by you 60 cameras and there is your problem 360Meg bandwith requirement with 100Meg switch. As suggested you may need a network engineer to assist to resolve this one.

actually I have changed much of my design,

the working environment is, I am using 40 analog cameras with hybrid dvr, and i am using 10 dvr connected with each other, then this dvr is connect with IP DV decoder through cisco 3560 switch, and also pick a point and netvu is also connected via switch.

but I am unable to monitor more than three cameras in netvu in real time. it got stuck or works too much slow.

so i am thinking to use subnetting and vlan , and also gigabyte ports of switch, because after 1 week , i have to add 20 mobotix IP cameras in my scenario.

please share if you have better solution, and if you are not getting my design, then tell me , i will email you my design block dig.

regards

Junaid khan

actually I have changed much of my design,

the working environment is, I am using 40 analog cameras with hybrid dvr, and i am using 10 dvr connected with each other, then this dvr is connect with IP DV decoder through cisco 3560 switch, and also pick a point and netvu is also connected via switch.

all hybrids are networkable so you had no need for the decoder. just connect your dvrs to your cisco and use a CMS software.

i have to add 20 mobotix IP cameras in my scenario.

using mobotix with a hybrid is very limited if you want to get the best from a mobotix you need a server .

to learn how to install 20 mobotix cameras over a forum is not a way to go. go and get training from your mobotix distributor. and with you buying 20 they will give you good support (for 20 they will come and do the network for you)