DataAve

Sanyo DVR 3716

Just got the new model. Has CD-R RW. The thing is huge. They added a bottom panel just to accomodate the burner. So add 2 inches to it. Why in the world didn't they change the color of the unit-they are still Rory's favorite retro tan. I will let you know how it performs when I get time.

The unit is sold. As of March, all I use are the Sanyo DVRs. Their new DSR-3716 "Cheetah" and DSR-5016 "Tiger" are very reliable DVRs. I have not had a single unit go bad in 45 installs. The new "Tiger" unit is black and has a CDRW/DVD built in and also has a new software (free) that is very elaborate. It has a very enterprise feel, but in an embedded box.

I concur... This new series actually are better and they deliver the goods as stated. I think Sanyo as a whole is becoming more and more competitive on pricing (even dropped their hot seller color hi res cameras at 520TVL lowest we ever seen) and made their DVRs even more accessible to general users...

From what I can see, they are coming out very strong with newer management and very agressive on pricing. That should help them to capture more business and more customers.

I never had any issues with any of their products and I think their tech support is very well organized and helpful...

Data, how did your install go??

Levon

I am prob getting a Sanyo as well whenever I get some dollas. Prob be a 3506 though. I actually like the retro look. Makes me feel all warm and soft. I wish my 72 Olds had the factory 8 track player included also!

the "tiger" looks a little sqooshed up though .. like a AV receiver or small VCR .. lots of wasted space on that bottom part ... or is that removable?

"Cheetah" still looks way to 80's for me .. looks mean too much for me sorry

Does the "tiger" ROAR .. do 120fps in 720x480 .. also, data free up on the remote software so we can check it out ... and .. is it cheaper than the GE DVRs ..?

Did they use to charge for the software??

The "Tiger" is a nice machine. 120fps, built-in CDRW/DVD burner, built-in Compact Flash. It also has a Region of Interest (ROI) feature that I have seen in enterprise systems such as NICE. It gives you the ability to further compress other areas of the picture where picture quality is not needed. The unit then allocates a larger amount of picture quality to the selected "region of interest". The free software is very powerful. You now have the ability to use the advanced software that can "interlink" units from any location, or use the simple browser-based interface that does not require any software.

Sanyo has really stepped it up. They also just released their first PTZ's. It has a 520-line Sanyo color camera in all PTZ configurations for LESS then Pelco, AD, and Ultrak.