easytim

Have anyone tried Exacq software with small a mini computer?

I finally got around to starting on this project, with Exacq software, I'm going to download the Exacq demo software and play with it for awhile.

I'm going to use a small desktop computer, it only uses 20 watts of power verus 285 watts for my other standard desktop.

This means running the computer 24 hours a day and it cost only $1.29 per month instead of $18.45 per month per month for the standard computer, this is a big savings going with a smaller computer on your electric bill. My cost is .09 cents per kilowatt.

Has anyone here tried using a mini computer with the Exacq software?

Asus EB1012P 1.66GHz Intel Atom PC

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16883220049

I hope you allow this link, it shows what the mini computer is all about

I'm going to be upgrading RAM to 4gb for sure and maybe an upgrade to a 7200 RPM hard drive, instead of the 5400 RPM

that comes with it.

Intel Atom D510 Dual Core Processor (1.66GHz)

2GB DDR2 RAM - 250GB Hard Drive (5400 RPM)

Next-Generation NVIDIA ION(GT218-ION) Graphics with 512MB dedicated VRAM

HDMI Output - VGA - eSata - 2 USB 3.0 ports,

4 USB 2.0 ports; 10/100/1000 LAN; 802.11 bgn Wireless

Keyboard and Mouse - Energy Star and EPEAT; Windows 7

Below are the requirements for running the Exacq software from their web site

requirements-for-Exacq.jpg.5731d1c125a5e959719a09fd6d7f6aeb.jpg

Edited by Guest

Wow! That's a tiny computer!! BTW guys, I did the calculations and your $18.45 a month is spot on. (I doubted it at first). Here is me speculating based on what I know (Having not used Exacq before):

What OS will you be using? No matter what, I don't think you need 4GB. The tasks that are involved in recording video just don't require it. 2GB would be fine. If your using Win-7, just turn off Aero.

How many cameras will you be recording from? No way an dual-core Atom will do as well as a dual-core Pentium! But, I don't think this will be a big deal. Maybe it will only be able to handle like 16 cams instead of 32?

The hard drive is something I would invest in more. Enterprise drives fail less, and are basically designed around full-time duty. I would go for 7200RPM, and probably get like a 2TB or maybe 3TB...

By the way...What are the specs on your computer that pulls 285W?? Maybe you are running at 100% load with a big graphics card? I've got a P4 recording 4 cameras that pulls ~140, and the SRD-870DC w/4HDDs pulls ~100.

Wow! That's a tiny computer!! BTW guys, I did the calculations and your $18.45 a month is spot on. (I doubted it at first). Here is me speculating based on what I know (Having not used Exacq before):

What OS will you be using? No matter what, I don't think you need 4GB. The tasks that are involved in recording video just don't require it. 2GB would be fine. If your using Win-7, just turn off Aero.

How many cameras will you be recording from? No way an dual-core Atom will do as well as a dual-core Pentium! But, I don't think this will be a big deal. Maybe it will only be able to handle like 16 cams instead of 32?

The hard drive is something I would invest in more. Enterprise drives fail less, and are basically designed around full-time duty. I would go for 7200RPM, and probably get like a 2TB or maybe 3TB...

By the way...What are the specs on your computer that pulls 285W?? Maybe you are running at 100% load with a big graphics card? I've got a P4 recording 4 cameras that pulls ~140, and the SRD-870DC w/4HDDs pulls ~100.

My big desktop uses 285watts just sitting there, most big desktops do use this much power. Its has 3 case fans, AMD 4000+ 550watt power supply, 512mb video card without a fan on it, this is not a gamer type computer. I got this 285watt figure from my Uninterruptible Power Supply (UPS) Its telling me this it what I'm using thru the software that comes with it. It says I'm using 285 watts, I do have a router plugged into the UPS also, but its a small unit, 12 watts max, 12vdc power supply 1 amp power equal to 12 watts max for that. They say the mini is said to use 90% less power, in my case this is true, maybe a little more.

My OS will be Windows 7

A 500 gig hard drive with the mini, I think is the biggest I can go with this internally for this model. So, I could use a 2TB or 3 TB external thru USB port. Your right, The Enterprise hard drive comes highly recommended for many hours of use.

I will be using only 4 cameras max running thru an Axis 241Q

It will be interesting to see how this all plays out, power being used is a big factor with me, how much power do most DVR's use? or a NVR unit?

What is the monthly cost to have them running 24 hrs per day for one month?

Edited by Guest

Yes I have used Exacq on atom based machines in fact some of Exacq's boxes are using atom processors. The web client will run very slow but it will work and I do not recommend using USB drives.

Windows 7 on that PC alone will make it unbearably slow.

Same as using a Windows 7 netbook, slow slow slow.

Read the feedback on that site to get a better idea.

There are much faster mini PCs out there.

Windows 7 on that PC alone will make it unbearably slow.

Same as using a Windows 7 netbook, slow slow slow.

Read the feedback on that site to get a better idea.

There are much faster mini PCs out there.

I have been told, if you run 4gb ram and a 7200 RPM hard drive things will improve greatly.

Windows 7 is a ram hog, more than XP

Here is a big list of Desktop Computers ranked by annual running cost

http://www.sust-it.net/energy_saving.php?id=20#nogo

I don't like HP, because everything is proprietary, you can't work on them, you have to use their parts, ram,hard drive, etc.

Edited by Guest

Yes I have used Exacq on atom based machines in fact some of Exacq's boxes are using atom processors. The web client will run very slow but it will work and I do not recommend using USB drives.

To thewireguys, you got mail

Intel Atom D510 Dual Core Processor (1.66GHz) OR they also have a (1.8 GHZ) Processor

You just can't beat $1.29 per month, being a little slow, will be worth it the waiting

Yep, they take power. If I remember right my quad core Athlon I put on a variac and saw it bounce around 1-1.5A just to get a rough idea. I think I ROM'd it around $20 a month but for me it is worth it. I'm using Vitamin D it so easy to play back the events at 3x speed only takes a minute to see what's happened during the day using just the up down arrow keys on the keyboard. My time is worth more than that, for what it takes to poke around most other software.

As soon as the other software gets that ease of use I'll consider it.

Recently upgraded to a Core i7 which runs even lower in terms of percent processor (around 20% for 16 cameras) but have not remeasured the power. I have an old mac mini which can only handle a few cameras with this software.

I don't like HP, because everything is proprietary, you can't work on them, you have to use their parts, ram,hard drive, etc.

When was the last time you were in a HP?

They are no different than any other PC these days. Not defending HP just trying to keep facts straight.

To thewireguys, you got mail

Intel Atom D510 Dual Core Processor (1.66GHz) OR they also have a (1.8 GHZ) Processor

You just can't beat $1.29 per month, being a little slow, will be worth it the waiting

Then you are better off with the Mac Mini, just load raw Windows XP.

At least its a good processor. The Atom is to the current Pentium Dual Core like the Celeron was to the Pentium 4, let alone bringing a Core 2 Duo into the equation.

BTW these are all large consumer brands, there are many others out there that match the Mac Mini but dont come with the big name and price tag. thewireguys had a link to a site a while back that had some of them. But if you want to fight with Windows 7 on a slow Atom then so be it, I mean could just walk and save gas too

Rory an Atom runs Exacq fine with multiple megapixel cameras. I have run it on 1.6 and 2.0 Atoms. Exacq's El and ELS boxes are Atoms. Like I said I have used Windows 7 and Linux with out any issues. Personally I like Windows better because Teamviewer runs better.

FYI Avigilon is more efficient then Exacq.

Rory an Atom runs Exacq fine with multiple megapixel cameras.
Like I said I have used Windows 7 and Linux with out any issues

Ive also walked to the store without any issues, however I prefer to drive seeing as it is much faster.

Thing you gotta remember is, boot-up time may be seen as "slow", but that doesn't really matter - this is a PC DVR!

Once its booted up, running one open program will be totally fine!

Rory not sure why you are questioning me on this. You would not be able to tell the difference between a Exacq server running with a Atom or a dual quad core Xeon.

Im pretty certain I would be able to tell the difference between using an Atom and a Dual Core.

But the OP can use whatever he likes, im only voicing my opinion based on my experiences.

Rory not sure why you are questioning me on this. You would not be able to tell the difference between a Exacq server running with a Atom or a dual quad core Xeon.

This is helpful information, thank you

I have some of the facts straight, but not all, that's why I'm here on this forum, to learn from someone that has been there and done that

When was the last time you were in a HP?

They are no different than any other PC these days. Not defending HP just trying to keep facts straight.

oop's, I'm thinking of Dell