steveyp

CCTV for convenience stores

Can i get some advice please.

I have small to medium convenience stores and want to upgrade my system.

i have 12 dome cameras on the suspended ceiling and using a geovision gv1480 card on windows 7.

i want to be able to read the labels on the products but can't with the cameras i am using,

Regards

Steve,

This may not help.. but just curious.. why do you need to be able to read the label on products?

I'm sure it can be done.. with some nice megapixel camera's.. but it seems like a waste to me

This may not help.. but just curious.. why do you need to be able to read the label on products?

I'm sure it can be done.. with some nice megapixel camera's.. but it seems like a waste to me

thanks for reply.

when staff are scanning the products (or not scanning them in some cases and putting them straight into there bag) i want to know what they are?

It's not that simple, I wish it were. Firstly you can replace all your cameras with super high resolution cameras and still not be able to read anything if your DVR and display aren't up to the job. Also it's unlikely you would get that kind of detail unlrss you have internal PTZ cameras in the aisles. If a fixed focus camera were used to the level where you can read the labels on the tins, then that is what you would see and nothing else. I think that probably you want a much sharper image then that is achievable but replacing what you have with PTZ cameras will require a full time security operator and a lot of expense. You need to get a survey done by a professional and see if it's just a matter of upgrading your cameras or if you will need a new DVR also. You can also intergate your CCTV at the tills with a POS overlay so that each item sold is recorded along with the video.

The only reason I can imagine that you might want to see a particular area so closely is either for theft, of seeing which areas are moving goods best. If the latter then you should be using your POS software to monitor the shel positioning of all items and analysing those figures which do NOT rely on instinct rather on facts.

Failing that, have you tried a pair of glasses?

thanks for reply.

when staff are scanning the products (or not scanning them in some cases and putting them straight into there bag) i want to know what they are?

Hi to replace your existing system is an expence you dont need. if you are just having a problem at your counter area then i would just install a 4 camera system with POS just to monitor that area. 1 system 4 mp cameras 1 microphone. that way everything at the sales counter is recorded and the sales from your registers.

http://www.averusa.com/surveillance/productdetail.aspx?id=138

AVerDiGi20SA6016_POS20Integration-1.jpg

I'd say you do a hybrid system, say with Geo. MP cams for areas where you want a lot of detail. Combined with POS overlay so you can confirm what those items are, as well as whether they scanned them. For less important areas, stick with analog.

thank you for all your advise..

it is for theft that i need better quality.

i would put better cameras on high risk areas.

which mp cameras are the best on the market?

i am prepared to invest into this as theft is a massive problem in my business.

thanks,

Steve

BTW - do you have signs showing that you are recording people? Typically this helps to deter people when they know they are actively being watched!

Also, consider putting a cheap LCD monitor at the entrance displaying a picture of the person as they walk in. This helps get their attention, and if you place the camera near the monitor, as they instinctively look up to it, you get a good facial shot!

Thanks Adam.

i take on board what you are saying about camera and mnonitor in entrace to shop.

it is not just to deter customers it is also to keep a check on staff ringing everything in correctly.

can i connect mp cameras to my gv1480 card?

or do they work totally different?

Thanks Adam.

i take on board what you are saying about camera and mnonitor in entrace to shop.

it is not just to deter customers it is also to keep a check on staff ringing everything in correctly.

you can add ip in the form of geo nvr software to your system (if your pc is upto it) then you have the extra costs of a licence to run none geo ip cameras and then you also have extra cost from geo to run POS. (which no other company does)

just in the geo running costs alone you can buy a nvr with built in POS . and have no other running costs on what ever mp camera you want to use.

Thanks Tom,

So sounds like i can do better than sticking with the GV card?

what do you recommend?

my PC is well up to the job i'm sure..

will i be better starting again? if so what do you recommend for up to 16 cameras.

as clear as possible?

steve,

Thanks Tom,

So sounds like i can do better than sticking with the GV card?

what do you recommend?

my PC is well up to the job i'm sure..

will i be better starting again? if so what do you recommend for up to 16 cameras.

as clear as possible?

steve,

i dont think starting again is the way to go. you already have 16 cameras. i would go hybrid (32) and add mp cameras along side your existing cameras. and its a good way to go as you add cameras as budget allows

you can use most mp with this and your existing cameras upto 32 cameras.

http://www.averusa.com/surveillance/productdetail.aspx?id=90

Geo has free 32 channel NVR software built in now, though its only free for their IP cameras. Also newer Geo needs a super computer.

though its only free for their IP cameras.

I didn't know that. I thought you could use any Ip camera on the list.

yes for none geo ip comes a big cost you need a licence in blocks i.e 4-8-16-32 and its not cheap. and also a cost to use POS.

its something geo needs to look into buying there products and then be charged to use them .... they even now have a dongle to check if your card is a true geovision or not .............. and that has a charge. in the UK we have had 3 big suppliers drop geo

I suggest you that,let u buy the megapixel cameras.But do not take it off your existing cameras.

I think that if you place these megapixel cameras at small products/things and your existing cameras at

moderate/big in size products then u may see the products and their names.So that u may not waste ur old cameras.

Thanks Adam.

Personally I would prefer not to use a hybrid system if I don't have to. Depends on your budget, Arecont Vision, Axis, ACTi and other manufacturers all have pretty good MP cameras. If you decide to use a separate system, which you will eventually need because of all the MP cams, there are PC-based and stand alone NVR you can choose from. My company installed a lot of QNAP stand alone NVR systems. They are affordable and have all the features SMB and home users usually need.