Linus903

Replace my Costco Samsung system with?

Hi everyone,

I recently received a Sumsung system (SME-4221) through Costco. I wanted to buy through Costco as a result of their return policy (does anyone else offer anything similar)?

So, my Samsung system came with four 600 TVL cameras and an 8-channel DVR built into a monitor. Everything works and set-up was easy (although I've only set up the DVR + cameras, no network yet).

Here are my issues with this system:

-It will only allow 4 cameras to be set at 780x480 resolution. Max FPS allowed for 4 at this resolution is 15 FPS. Additionally, with four cameras set to the above specs, the max allowed for the remaining 4 is 352x240 at 1 FPS.

-Ideally I'd like a little more clarity out of the cameras. Maybe this isn't possible with systems in this price range, but, I am here to ask. I don't really know what's reasonable to expect. I am hopeful for decent clarity at 60 feet or so.

So, what does Costco offer that might be a better option than this?

I was looking at the Q-See 528. If I am reading the description right, it appears you can run all 8 channels at 780x480 and 30 FPS? How might the cameras compare to my Sumsung?

I was a little hesitant about Q-See as the reviews seemed really hit or miss as to quality. But, at this point I feel I effectively have 4 camera capability out of my 8 channel Samsung.

So...

1.) What are your thoughts on other Costco systems? I am open to any suggestions.

2.) Thoughts on the Q-See 528?

3.) Is there anywhere else to buy that will offer extended, no hassle returns like Costco?

Thanks.

costco box sets are a cheap way to buy cctv. ..... but if you are looking for quality then you need to forget about costco.

it all depends on your budget and how much homework you put in to finding the right system.

Thanks. My budget currently is around $900. Can I get 4 cameras and an 8 channel DVR for that if I venture outside boxed systems?

Also, would like to hear about the Q-See 528 and all other options Costco has.

Hmmm, in researching my Sumsung, it refers to FPS on the DVR, but in the specs it uses ips.

Does this mean it's really half of what is claimed?

They carry Qsee which has one camera that is not too bad

viewtopic.php?f=5&t=26653

Also has some comparisons to more expensive Bosch cameras. Qsee has a bad reputation for having some/many poor models. The smaller bullets are however a lot easier to deploy around the house aesthetically. I've not played with that DVR.

-Ideally I'd like a little more clarity out of the cameras. Maybe this isn't possible with systems in this price range, but, I am here to ask. I don't really know what's reasonable to expect. I am hopeful for decent clarity at 60 feet or so.

I only see one Samsung at Costco where the specify the lens angle at 3.6mm on 1/3" sensor which is only good for an overview. With analog cams you only have so many pixels to play with. The Qsee I played with had a 5mm on 1/3", there are calculators online that allow you to figure out what lens to get. Pretty unusual to see more than 5mm on the box systems.

From the 528 manual-

NOTE! While each camera can have its resolution and frame rate set independently of the other cameras, the DVR may limit the frame rate available to a camera based on the settings of other cameras.

That's an interesting little disclaimer. Not sure how that would translate for each individual user. Guess you'd have to see. I have a qsee 408- I got the package via amazon. In my experience the dvr is really great. Even the cameras are ok for what they are, but within a month I switched out the whole lot of them for better cameras. Take a look at my vids in my signature. There's a bunch of them on my experience with my chosen gear.

Dan

FPS and IPS are the same.

The frame rate issue is a very tricky one. The fact is the speeds that manufacturers quote are usually the "maximum"

IPS (image per second). And FPS (frames per second) why do they do this-because 2IPS=1FPS. Therefore, it takes 60IPS to equal 30FPS or a single real-time image.

anything that has IPS is only to make the spec look good. and then there is the other setting to look out for (found on alot of cheap chines dvrs) is Fields per second which are IPS 10 Fields" per second = 5fps

not for nothing guy but check out zmodo.... their higher end stuff is pretty good... stay away from BJS or costco becuase Lorex now puts out only ECO series there. well in my area. Systems are terrible just good for a rinky dink system, no options, bare minimum. I'm a lorex fan, but these guys are going in the crapper.

I would prefer a Sams or Costco over Zmodo, that is if I had to make that preference. I havent seen much high end Zmodo stuff though. We have gotten much business from people wanting to ditch their Zmodo DVR because they hate it.

Maybe get the DVR separate then add any camera you want to it. That way you arent stuck with just the cameras those kits come with. Check out the Dahua for something that is reasonably priced and still offers many features.