Sign in to follow this  
NoFinga911

Help finding a dvr to fit my needs...

Whats up guys, I have always wanted to install some surveillance cameras around my home but never really had the time to mess around with it. I purchased a low quality cheap system (night owl fs8500) just to see how the install would go. I am pretty handy and was able to mount all eight cameras around the roof of my home, conceal and run all cables to the dvr, set up the internet and mobile networking, and get everything running smoothly. So now I think I want to upgrade my dvr to something with better resolution and search features. Basically I want it to be

-8 channels with at least one audio input

-have remote internet control and mobile viewing

-ptz compatibility and control

-D1 resolution options on all channels

-easy search features with a fast rewind and ffwd speeds

-good motion detection features and capability

-a simple 500gb hdd

-backup options such as usb or dvd

-power protect to save settings in case of power outage

-oh and a nice interface

I think thats about it, maybe you guys can help me find one. Thanks!

I purchased a low quality cheap system (night owl fs8500) just to see how the install would go

Hi. with your kit. did you use lead kits to connect your cameras. many people install these kits and find they want better images. if you have used lead kits you will find you will need to replace them .

I think what he's asking is did you use the cheap thin cables that come with the package. And I'm guessing you did. I did as well. I suppose that is a big part of it but my pictures are fine for my eyes, for now. I always said that when I upgrade to REALLY good cameras I would upgrade the cables too. Considering the hell it was running the cables, I should have done it first thing. But honestly, all looks fine with my cables to me. For you, what cameras are you using, first off? It could be no matter what you feed them with- cables and dvr- they're still gonna look bad. Within a month I changed out my cameras to better ones- all eight of them now. The dvr you have in line doesn't provide any of those features you mention? What doesn't it do, from the list you put forth?

D1 is a great number to throw out there. D1 on all channels. Yes, I suppose that's at least what anyone would want and there are dvr's that certainly support that. But in my experience, even HD-1 [half D1] is just fine. With eight cameras in line, you're gonna have to see if your network can support such high quality with all of them. And that means supporting it and leaving bandwidth left for everyone else to surf the internet in your home, or whatever else is going on with other users tapping into your bandwidth/router. D1 is one thing, but if you're forced to drop the fps low and the resolution low just to have decent image flow over all eight cameras, all of a sudden that D1 number is compromised. So I take D1 on all channels kinda with a grain of salt, unless you have the bandwidth from your router/network to truely handle the spec and do it justice. Get a great dvr- no harm in that for sure. But you'll probably need to upgrade those stock cameras too. I use a q-see 408 dvr and it does everything you have on your list except it only does D1 on two channels and you have to drop the fps to 7.5 to get it. Frankly, I don't care. I use HD-1 on all channels at 20fps, all on highest resolution and get very good images- keeping everything happy. But that's me. Someone will jump in a recommend a great dvr. I think a Dahua seems great and not a lot of bucks. People seem to love samsung's too. But I would plan on upgrading all cameras too- it's gonna happen, trust me. If you like almost everything about the dvr, I'd put the bucks towards better cameras first and then see if a dvr is really needed. Good luck.

Dan

you're gonna have to see if your network can support such high quality with all of them. And that means supporting it and leaving bandwidth left for everyone else to surf the internet in your home, or whatever else is going on with other users tapping into your bandwidth/router. D1 is one thing, but if you're forced to drop the fps low and the resolution low just to have decent image flow over all eight cameras, all of a sudden that D1 number is compromised. So I take D1 on all channels kinda with a grain of salt,

am abit confused ..... why will D1 give problems .... this is all done at the dvr no network needed

I think what he's asking is did you use the cheap thin cables that come with the package. And I'm guessing you did. I did as well. I suppose that is a big part of it but my pictures are fine for my eyes, for now. I always said that when I upgrade to REALLY good cameras I would upgrade the cables too. Considering the hell it was running the cables, I should have done it first thing. But honestly, all looks fine with my cables to me. For you, what cameras are you using, first off? It could be no matter what you feed them with- cables and dvr- they're still gonna look bad. Within a month I changed out my cameras to better ones- all eight of them now. The dvr you have in line doesn't provide any of those features you mention? What doesn't it do, from the list you put forth?

D1 is a great number to throw out there. D1 on all channels. Yes, I suppose that's at least what anyone would want and there are dvr's that certainly support that. But in my experience, even HD-1 [half D1] is just fine. With eight cameras in line, you're gonna have to see if your network can support such high quality with all of them. And that means supporting it and leaving bandwidth left for everyone else to surf the internet in your home, or whatever else is going on with other users tapping into your bandwidth/router. D1 is one thing, but if you're forced to drop the fps low and the resolution low just to have decent image flow over all eight cameras, all of a sudden that D1 number is compromised. So I take D1 on all channels kinda with a grain of salt, unless you have the bandwidth from your router/network to truely handle the spec and do it justice. Get a great dvr- no harm in that for sure. But you'll probably need to upgrade those stock cameras too. I use a q-see 408 dvr and it does everything you have on your list except it only does D1 on two channels and you have to drop the fps to 7.5 to get it. Frankly, I don't care. I use HD-1 on all channels at 20fps, all on highest resolution and get very good images- keeping everything happy. But that's me. Someone will jump in a recommend a great dvr. I think a Dahua seems great and not a lot of bucks. People seem to love samsung's too. But I would plan on upgrading all cameras too- it's gonna happen, trust me. If you like almost everything about the dvr, I'd put the bucks towards better cameras first and then see if a dvr is really needed. Good luck.

Dan

Wow I appreciate that you are being very thorough. You have made some really good and interesting points. First off your right about D1 on all channels, I do not want to hog the bandwidth. My DVR does not have HD resolution only CIF. I wouldnt mind using HD instead of D1, how does the HD compare with the CIF? Oh and I did use the cables they came with, I was staying within budget. I have the nightowl FS8500, they have all the specs on the website. My current DVR has almost all of the options I listed except power outage protection, D1 and HD, quick rewind fast forward speeds, and easy search. What is the complete model number of your DVR? I would like to check it out, sounds good. LoL I know the camera upgrade is inevitable and I have been researching a lot of cameras lately but I would rather have a nice DVR first.

I purchased a low quality cheap system (night owl fs8500) just to see how the install would go

Hi. with your kit. did you use lead kits to connect your cameras. many people install these kits and find they want better images. if you have used lead kits you will find you will need to replace them .

what would be a good replacement for them?

what would be a good replacement for them?

RG59 or cat5. lead kits are 80% the problem with images. can only run very low amps and volts and limited to lenth. getting images from your camera to dvr is the important part.

Wow I appreciate that you are being very thorough. You have made some really good and interesting points. First off your right about D1 on all channels, I do not want to hog the bandwidth.

D1 has nothing to do with your bandwidth. you can have D1 on every channel

In most surveillance scenario's, you should always record in D1. Even if it slows down you internet viewing because the most important thing is what resolution it is recording at at your DVR.

RG59 or cat5. lead kits are 80% the problem with images. can only run very low amps and volts and limited to lenth. getting images from your camera to dvr is the important part.

Ok so how would i connect the RG59 cable to the cameras if they have the leads already? Or do i just connect the RG59 to the short leads that come out of the camera?

LOL! Yes, I'm talking about viewing. Sorry- I almost always look at the puzzle in relation to live remote viewing. I actually VIEW my system remotely all night long, so balancing bewteen D1, fps, and resolution comes into play big time when viewing remotely, live. Viewing the drv directly locally- no problem. And of course recording D1 is a great thing. Any highest setting for recording anything is always best. I would just balance my recording schedule and motion sensing options to get the most out of the hard drive along the way. In my scenario, because I view my system along with another one as part of my empoyment, I choose not to have a recording schedule at all on my residential system. I manually record any or all channels if needed to save the hard drive some space and work.

Dan

Edited by Guest

Hi. you would use GR59 with power to each camera and attach to the camera pig tail bnc. and then BNC onto dvr

4903large-1.jpg

Connector2MBNCTWISTRG62-1.gif

ideal_bnc_connector-1.jpg

BNC20exploded20view202-1.gif

or another way is Cat 5 with baluns (you can run 4 cameras off 1 run) but best using 1 pair for video and the rest for power.

LanCableCat5-1.jpg

utppassivevideobalunsurgeprotectionsecur-1.jpg

Hi. you would use GR59 with power to each camera and attach to the camera pig tail bnc. and then BNC onto dvr

4903large-1.jpg

Connector2MBNCTWISTRG62-1.gif

ideal_bnc_connector-1.jpg

BNC20exploded20view202-1.gif

or another way is Cat 5 with baluns (you can run 4 cameras off 1 run) but best using 1 pair for video and the rest for power.

LanCableCat5-1.jpg

utppassivevideobalunsurgeprotectionsecur-1.jpg

Ok, great thanks for the help!

Dan

hey shockwave what is the exact model of your dvr?

you can always choose the substream on your DVR to view at less than D1 but still record at D1 if bandwidth is a problem.

I have the QS408. I really like this dvr, but there are even better options that I would surely upgrade to if I was compelled to do so.

you can always choose the substream on your DVR to view at less than D1 but still record at D1 if bandwidth is a problem.

That is a feature that I don't believe my dvr has- or at least it isn't secified in the manual. It may be an automatic thing, but I have no choices of substream or not.

So shop around. Don't take my word for anything- I'm new to the process too. My system works for me, but there are obviously much better dvr's out there to choose from. Best to consider more closely what the real pros here are suggesting. Good luck.

Dan

Hey what do you guys think of this

http://cgi.ebay.com/8-CH-Embedded-Linux-1000GB-H-264-CCTV-Security-DVR-D1-/140440712163?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item20b2eb33e3

also, which ports on the rear would be for ptz?

Ebay is never a good place to buy a dvr. but if you are happy with that dvr .......... google it .............. i did and its cheaper than yours on ebay by $70

Hey what do you guys think of this

http://cgi.ebay.com/8-CH-Embedded-Linux-1000GB-H-264-CCTV-Security-DVR-D1-/140440712163?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item20b2eb33e3

also, which ports on the rear would be for ptz?

Ebay is never a good place to buy a dvr. but if you are happy with that dvr .......... google it .............. i did and its cheaper than yours on ebay by $70

Can you guys recommend some good websites for dvrs? I do not know which ones are reliable.