Sign in to follow this  
nfr

Budget DVR recommendations

I'm new to CCTV, and would like some recommendations for a budget DVR for residential use:

I looked a few months ago and was looking at Avermedia (EB3004net) or Avtech (DP674)

I'm looking to spend approximately £200 (excluding Hard Drive)

I've seen Dahau (Mace?) mentioned quite a lot - but not sure if these are widely available in the UK

What about Swann which does seem to be readily available in UK

Any recommendations?

Many thanks

Nick

Many here have mentioned Dahua - it is supposed to be very good for the price.

Based on experiences from members - I wouldn't necessarily recommend avtech - seems like people have a very hard time backing up video.

How many channels do you need? What amount of recording time do you want? For 200 euros (~$280) - honestly you won't get too much. Maybe a 4-channel system with a 500GB HDD.

Thanks Adam.

Yes for that money I know my expectations must be limited.

4 cameras will do me for now.

500Mb or possibly 1TB for a bit more money

Networkable with remote viewing.

Dahua doesnt seem to be available widely in uk unless I'm searching for the wrong thing - can anyone advise of a UK supplier?

Nick

Dahua doesnt seem to be available widely in uk

Dahua in the uk is under the qvis name. and for the basic dahua with 500gb and internet viewing and 4 cameras is in your budget.

Take a look at the Avermedia EH1004H Nano. It a 4 channel DVR that supports up to a 2TB hard drive. You might be able to find it within your price range.

I tried one out several months ago and have since installed 6 of the 8 channel version. I've been quite pleased with them. They aren't perfect and have some operational issues that bother me, but that didn't stop me from purchasing them (obviously). Actually, every single DVR I've ever used had operational issues that bothered me.....none have ever been perfect.

I would consider it an excellent budget DVR.

OK guys thanks for the advice..

After some searching I think the Dahau "apollo" is probably in my range.

I will also take a look at the Avermedia 1004 nano

Just to spin this another way... A friend of mine has a SWANN package (DVR4-1200 with 4 x pro560 cameras). The whole lot including cables is available for less than £250 in the UK. This is obvously a huge price differential compared with some of the DVR's im currently looking.

He's going to show me the system.... and I suspect I will be impressed. Question is what are the limitations of such a system?... they seem to get good sales?

thanks

Nick

SWANN package

are at the very cheap range. and do come with problems. dvr kits are made up of the cheapest parts you can get. low quality leead kits poor power supplies. and colour ir cameras that are no good at night.

when you take alook at your friends. it may look good on the screen . but remember its the recorded quality that you need. ask him to burn off say 1hrs of footage (it will take about 40mins) then take the footage home and see if you can replay it on your pc

Dahua doesnt seem to be available widely in uk

Dahua in the uk is under the qvis name. and for the basic dahua with 500gb and internet viewing and 4 cameras is in your budget.

Take a look at Adata, they're the UK division.

Whatever you get- I strongly recommend getting an eight channel system at minimum. I thought four would be fine for me too and honestly, I could get by with four. But I am SO glad I got an eight channel because eight cameras really covers almost everything. You WILL want eight cameras, trust me. Ya can't stop at just four. Truth be told, it's hard to stop at just eight.

Dan