cctvlad

CCTV on UPS

Hi there Im looking for some sound advice on setting up an independent ptz with a tower that is battery run with added extras like flood LEDS and PIRs and DVR. but no idea what size of a battery that i need to install im looking for the system to run on a week on week basis with battery changeovers once a week.

would this be possible with an UPS?

what am trying to do is make an isolated security cctv unit run off a battery.

would appriecate any help guys. `

I'd start by planning a system that can all just run on 12VDC and eliminate the UPS... then you don't have to worry about losing power to the voltage step-up process. Most cameras will work with 12V; there are lots of "mobile" DVRs and NVRs that are designed to run on 12V with low power consumption; you can use automotive lighting; and most alarm-system PIRs operate at 12V as well.

Once you have a design and basic equipment list figured out, you can calculate the total current draw and estimate how much battery you're going to need. From there, you can determine how to keep it charged - solar, generator, etc.

Hi Soundy Hows it goin

yeah undertstand have to get the spec list then calculate the total current draw for the size of the battery dont know how to calculate that though.

is there not a way to keep it running with one or two UPS batteries then charge once a week?

also I was thinking that Illuminators would be a big power draw cant they be activated by PIR movement or switch via application rather than on all the time.

As probably know its a stand alone mobile cctv unit and its been done many years ago but want to design my own.

ptz camera

long range wireless

dvr

pirs

LED flood lights

etc

ptz camera

long range wireless

dvr

pirs

LED flood lights

etc

All of these require more current which requires more batteries. Remember also you don't want to discharge the battery's to much or they will never charge again so you will need even more battery's to prevent this.

I would start here:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Battery_(electricity)

Then I would look a sites that specialize in solar power.

FYI you could easily spend $3000 in batteries

Hi Soundy Hows it goin

yeah undertstand have to get the spec list then calculate the total current draw for the size of the battery dont know how to calculate that though.

Pretty simple... most devices will list either current requirements or wattage draw... most batteries will have a capacity rating. For example, if you have a camera that says it requires 250mA at 12V, and a 12V battery that's rated 7Ah (ampere-hours), then that battery should run that camera for about 28 hours - 7/0.25=28. With a 500mA total draw, that battery would last 14 hours. And so on.

is there not a way to keep it running with one or two UPS batteries then charge once a week?

UPS batteries won't do it. 7-7.5Ah is a common battery capacity, as used in your average home-oriented UPS, and as you see above, that won't last very long at all - barely a day with ONE non-IR camera.

You're looking at deep-cycle automotive batteries for something like this, and probably more than one of them. Swapping them on a regular basis would be a pain - a better way, if you're visiting the site anyway, is just to hook them all up to a generator and charge the whole lot of them in-place.

also I was thinking that Illuminators would be a big power draw cant they be activated by PIR movement or switch via application rather than on all the time.

Sure. As noted, most PIRs are powered by 12V; you just need to make sure you're using models with normally-open contacts, and use those to trigger relays that then turn on the lights.

As probably know its a stand alone mobile cctv unit and its been done many years ago but want to design my own.

ptz camera

long range wireless

dvr

pirs

LED flood lights

etc

Wireless is probably going to draw more power than anything else, especially since it will probably be running 24/7...

solar power sounds a good solution for a trickle charge but is it effective and will it keep power levels nominal is my thinking. weather in uk and ireland isnt great what about wind? is that stronger than solar?

solar power sounds a good solution for a trickle charge but is it effective and will it keep power levels nominal is my thinking. weather in uk and ireland isnt great what about wind? is that stronger than solar?

Wind would be an option. I was just thinking you could learn about batteries from guys that are doing solar.

1-4 deep-cycle car/marine batteries will work great. Typically at least 100 amp hours at 12VDC. Thats a lot of power! Put some sort of controller between all of your loads and the battery, to protect it from being discharged too far.

Once you know how much power you need on a daily basis in watts, you can figure out what size batteries you will need - as well as how big of a power source (solar, wind, etc) you will need to keep the battery sufficiently charged.

Say you need to recharge 20A per day. You get 6 hours of solar power. You need to put in 3.33A per hour to reach your daily charge. So get a ~50W solar panel and the proper charge controller.

1-4 deep-cycle car/marine batteries will work great. Typically at least 100 amp hours at 12VDC. Thats a lot of power! Put some sort of controller between all of your loads and the battery, to protect it from being discharged too far.

Once you know how much power you need on a daily basis in watts, you can figure out what size batteries you will need - as well as how big of a power source (solar, wind, etc) you will need to keep the battery sufficiently charged.

Say you need to recharge 20A per day. You get 6 hours of solar power. You need to put in 3.33A per hour to reach your daily charge. So get a ~50W solar panel and the proper charge controller.

sorry I am little confuse with wording

u saying that u can get 20A from 50W panel ?

Thanks for replies guys , think the marine batteries is a good bet for me, up to 100Ah say a couple of of them. haven't worked out the amperage per hour yet though theres 144 hrs in a week would have to calculate it against that.

Like soundy says putting high capacity batteries running say like a week then use generator to charge them up to nominal levels. would need to research on reading charging levels like a meter of some kind to see battery levels. wonder if theres such a remote application/equipment that can read battery levels so can watch them from home. then Id know I would need to be on site to charge by generator. think solar/wind power would be an expensive option and not feasible but one generator to charge multiple cctv units at different sites is cheaper in the long run.

once Ive got the batteries i would have to work out how to connect them all whats the best way to connect all the unit some kind of patch board? and would the batteries come out with a smooth 12v output?

cctvlad

Hi there Im looking for some sound advice on setting up an independent ptz with a tower that is battery run with added extras like flood LEDS and PIRs and DVR. but no idea what size of a battery that i need to install im looking for the system to run on a week on week basis with battery changeovers once a week.

would this be possible with an UPS?

what am trying to do is make an isolated security cctv unit run off a battery.

would appriecate any help guys. `

can you list the PTZ and dvr that you will be using ??? lighting is not a problem as you can pick solar floods up cheap now so you dont have to add them to your power loss.

is there a reason why you want to use a PTZ since you will not have control over it ?? set on tour will drain your power quick.

you could go with a rapid deployment CNB PTZ 4g but thats your budget gone. but it does last a week

im sure you can use ptz over the IP connection through the DVR , what i would want the ptz to do is a dual role with locally say up to a mile rs485 transmitters for local use of ptz control as well as the IP control. however at night I don't want to depend on tours but rather sensor trigger and camera would move that point and alarm alert at the same time so that I would be able to go on computer to see whats happening then take control at that point. tours 24/7 would be nuts on the battery but adding cameras extra static cameras wouldn't do any harm on the power too much.

looking at avermedia low power dvrs

ptz camera i have an e-bay one that i can use to test with at the moment want my own prototype to work first before going higher spec of a camera.

cctvlad

Thanks for replies guys , think the marine batteries is a good bet for me, up to 100Ah say a couple of of them. haven't worked out the amperage per hour yet though theres 144 hrs in a week would have to calculate it against that.

Like soundy says putting high capacity batteries running say like a week then use generator to charge them up to nominal levels. would need to research on reading charging levels like a meter of some kind to see battery levels. wonder if theres such a remote application/equipment that can read battery levels so can watch them from home. then Id know I would need to be on site to charge by generator. think solar/wind power would be an expensive option and not feasible but one generator to charge multiple cctv units at different sites is cheaper in the long run.

once Ive got the batteries i would have to work out how to connect them all whats the best way to connect all the unit some kind of patch board? and would the batteries come out with a smooth 12v output?

cctvlad

Don't start with the batteries you need to calculate the load first.

say up to a mile rs485 transmitters for local use of ptz control

just this alone is going to cost you 1k. i think you need to put some more thought into your project. if you do go rs485 for ptz control and video then you can save power at your camera end and only have the PTZ camera have the dvr at the receiver end. but for 1 mile you do need line of sight.

if this is a long time install and your dvr is outside then with your power you will also have to add heaters to your power loss. and with your system being so far away you might want to look at some sort of GSM alarm security to protect everything.

is there no power at all or network were you are going to install your PTZ.

I already have the controller, ptz transmitter and receiver and ptz camera.

I need to work out the amp load first. want to pack as much in as possible with as low current I can and

3g router, dvr, wireless LOS for local use. transmitters ptz, PIR etc

my thoughts are only at baby stage yet.

my budget will 1.5k max

only thing is my ptz transmitters are 5v.....hm

I already have the controller, ptz transmitter and receiver and ptz camera.

yes but moving your PTZ you will also need to see the image. and if your Transmitter is only 5v then it will not have a 1 mile range.

list the make of equipment you have .