SEANHAWG

Camera Comparison Tests: Ultrak, Pelco, Samsung, CNB, Effio

Over the next month or so I will be putting the following cameras in different scenario's to test how well they do under certain conditions:

Ultrak KC552BCN (330 TVL) 24 VAC

Pelco CCC1300H-2 (470 TVL) 24 VAC see this link for picture: http://www.nellyssurplus.com/catalog/DSCF8848.JPG)

Samsung SCC-131B 24VAC/12VDC (520 TVL)

CNB BBM-24F 24VAC/12VDC (600 TVL)

(The next 2 cameras do not have a brand name as they are prototype samples that we ordered from a manufacturer that we work with. They have the Effio-E chip in them so for simplicity purposes I will simply refer to them as "Effio Cameras")

Effio Camera Without IR Cut 24VAC/12VDC 2.8-12mm (700 TVL) (the grey one you see pictured)

Effio Camera With mechanical ICR IR Cut 24VAC/12VDC 2.8-12mm (700 TVL) (the white one you see pictured)

DVR used to take screen shots - Qvis Apollo HD (Dahua Manufactured)

The lenses that you see pictured are for the box cameras and I will just use whatever is best for the particular time that I am using them. They are (1) Honeywell 3.5-8 manual iris (1) GVI 3.5-8 Auto-Iris (1) GVI 2.8-12mm Auto-Iris

2471236_DSCF0809-1.jpg

I have been wanting to do something like this for a long time but I never thought I would have the time to do such a comprehensive test in one setting so I decided that I will do it over a span of time (might take me a month or so to complete). I will be putting these cameras in various typical scenarios to see how they compare. Obviously the higher end cameras perform better than the lower end but I wanted to test just how much contrast there is in certain scenarios. What I hope to see is just how much noticeable difference there is in the TV line ratings. I am also curious to see how well the CNB with Monalisa compares to the Effio-e chipped cameras. I will be doing low light tests, full light tests, different scenario's, etc. If anyone has any suggestions for testing scenarios, please let me know.

Edited by Guest

Looking forward to it Sean! I have thought about snagging a nice analog box cam for a long distance shot I need. Your testing will be appreciated.

08/23/11

The first test here is not a real typical scenario that you would really see but I just wanted to hurry up and get things kicked off. This is just me shining the cameras right outside our warehouse. There are so many varying depths in this field of view so there was no real strategy to this test, I just wanted to get going. Just consider this an introductory post. I will do more real world scenarios in subsequent tests. As you can see the Pelco is missing in action because they have not arrived at our warehouse yet but I promise to include that one as soon as they come on my next test. I kept dealing with cloud cover but I tried to get an image everytime the sun poked through (I swear everytime I do a test like this it is always really cloudy) Anyways, here are the pics (you can see what camera it is by looking at the stamped title) (all cameras are in default settings):

ultrak082311-1.jpg

samsung082311-1.jpg

cnb082311-1.jpg

effionoir082311-1.jpg

effiowir082311-1.jpg

Cool.

Can see the colors are off with the tree in the back on the Effio-E

But thats common for not having an IR cut.

We need to maybe start a test sub forum

The colors are not perfect. However the image detail I think is most important. If you look at the truck's lettering the first two cameras (Ultrak, Samsung) you can barely read the phone number off the truck.

The CNB does better and I think the Effio w/ IR cut filter does very good also. Leave the cams out at night so we could see night time performance in this same setting.

Thanks.

Cool.

Can see the colors are off with the tree in the back on the Effio-E

But thats common for not having an IR cut.

We need to maybe start a test sub forum

The colors are not perfect. However the image detail I think is most important. If you look at the truck's lettering the first two cameras (Ultrak, Samsung) you can barely read the phone number off the truck.

The CNB does better and I think the Effio w/ IR cut filter does very good also. Leave the cams out at night so we could see night time performance in this same setting.

Thanks.

The bullet cameras likely came prefocused, the older box cameras have a separate lens and probably just need a focus. The detail you see, it is normal even with a 420TVL camera, its how it is supposed to be, or should be even better on the local monitor

All cameras are with vari-focal lenses. I adjusted and fully focused all of them to approximately have the same field of view. As you can see the difference between lower TVL and Higher TVL is quite noticeable on such a wide shot where there are several things in the field of view but I'll bet it will be less noticeable on smaller areas or more focused areas.

So far I like the Effio w/IR Cut & CNB camera best.

The Effio's seem to have some sort of color problem - look at the color of the truck compared to all the other cameras.

The lower TVL is obvious with the Ultrak, all the others are high enough that they are similar...

Alot of it had to do with me trying to wait till the sun came out to take a picture, also it was evening time which kind of does wierd color things on security cameras. Some of them may have had more sun than others so it may have not necessarily been a fair comparison for this test.

So far I like the Effio w/IR Cut & CNB camera best.

The Effio's seem to have some sort of color problem - look at the color of the truck compared to all the other cameras.

The lower TVL is obvious with the Ultrak, all the others are high enough that they are similar...

Those were my initial picks too, and still are. Although the one wo/ir cut does have a magnificent blue sky! LOL! I figured the slightly yellow tint was actually the sun peaking through and time of day. This one isn't really much of a controlled test, but it is interesting. More!

Dan

Just noticed this, but also look at the dark side of the dumpster. It seems some cameras handle the contrast between light/dark better. (CNB looks good there for example).

Or maybe it is just the lighting conditions changing.

Oh, and also, look at the edges of the truck - some cameras just kind of 'blur-over' that. You can definitely see some stand out there!

Got the Pelco cameras in so I was able to do another test today. Glad I got the Pelco cams now because it fills the gap between the Ultrak 330 TVL and the Samsung 550 TVL. The Pelco's are 470 TVL so fits nicely in between. See my first post for pic of Pelco.

Anyways for this next experiment I wanted to point the cameras at a focused object. In this example, I pointed them all at my truck. Here are the results:

ultrak1-1.jpg

pelco-1.jpg

samsung-1.jpg

cnb-1.jpg

effionoir-1.jpg

effiowir2-1.jpg

Whats crazy is the Ultrak has the lowest resolution but out of all of them it gives the best colors in my opinion. Of course with the Ultrak Pelco and Samsung, there is no real default setting on those cameras so the current settings may be favorable for the given light conditions. For the CNB and Effio's, I just put them on the default settings. I am sure if I tweaked the settings I could make the colors look better. The CNB had funky colors on this one IMO, but still a good picture. The Effio W/out IR cut also had funky colors but that is to be expected with no IR cut.

for sharpness these are the main areas to focus on

CNB is the sharpest of the first 4.

Although the front grill of the Samsung almost looks a little sharper.

compare.png.1edb35731964f9ab440387094686e454.png

Rory - that comparison is awesome!!

I hope these pics can be released with every set Sean does?

This makes it very easy to compare - I do like CNB and the Effio w/IR cut a lot in this test.

The "oldies but goodies" prevail in color by sure. Thanks for the added comparisons and pictures Rory.

I'll have an indoor test to come and then off to low lux tests after that.

yeah its pretty amazing seeing the difference between a camera with and without an IR cut. Whenever you dont see them side by side, the pictures without IR cut seem to be fine but whenever you put them up next to each other the difference is quite noticeable.

I also notice that the pelco has that vertical lens flare from the sun hitting the HL. One of my 560 tvl's does this too but I figured any camera would in that circumstance. But obviously they don't all do it. Technically speaking, if a camera does this is it a sign of good quality, poor quality, or it just doesn't matter? Is it any indication of camera spec/quality at all? Frankly, I find it annoying.

Dan

Also take into account that different lenses make a difference as well.

Newer lenses vs older lenses, AI motors or modules not working as good as they once did, older used chips vs new ones, etc.

Also that not every camera might be focused 100% across the image, and some lenses may never allow them to be. I had 10 of the same cameras and maybe half were a good focus and the other half were so so, no matter what I did - same lenses also.

But its still good for a general idea of how a camera compares to other ones.

The easier to recognize, and more potent test, will come with the low light.

BTW ... IR off ... IR on ... BW bullet

oldBWbullet-NoIR-wIR.png.42a234b2328ff53a3a51162e2127ec91.png