vmgtlexi

See my porch, Help me Choose a Camera

My first post - please go gently....

Via the link below, you can see video of my front porch. I shot this video with my 10 year old Sony HandyCam around midnight. To my naked eye, the front porch actually looks a tad bit brighter than what you see in the video, but not much.

Link to porch video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XfZAIxHfQSA

Three years ago, I installed a Nuvico IR bullet cam on this porch. It saw very far at night with IR, even down to the distant street. It has been great, but the daytime viewing is shot (apparently a bad iris controller or bad cut filter - during the day it's all whitewashed). So, I need a new camera at this location.

That's the point of this post. I need advice on IR cameras versus true day/night cameras for this specific location of my house.

I need to at least be able to see the porch pretty well at night given the ambient light you see. I'd "like" to be able to see out to the gas light that you see in the yard (b/c that's about the border of my driveway). Of course, with IR, I can see further and see clearly at night. But, my experience with my Nuvico IR bullet camera makes me wonder if IR-type cameras are more prone to premature failures.

The new camera will point out from the front door, which is where I am standing at the outset of the video.

So, here are my questions:

1) Is there a "rule of thumb" about IR cameras versus true day/night cameras in terms of one being inherently more reliable and LONG-LASTING?

2) For the light you see on my porch, can I comfortably use a "true day night camera" or should I go with IR to be "safe"? I MUST be able to at least see the porch clearly and any suspicious activity at night at my windows/doors. I'd like to see a little further to the gas light area, but understand there is only so much a camera without IR can do at night.

3) Am I taking a "risk" with a TDN camera in terms of what quality or visible image I'll get in this type of night lighting?

4) Once you've formed an opinion on TDN vs. IR for my area, and considering my spec requirements below, I'll open the floor to the best camera (make/model) you would recommend anywhere up to $500 (U.S. market only):

Spec Requirements:

* 12VDC powered

* Ceiling mounted

* Vari-focal from about 2.8 - about 11

* Weather-resistant

* 1/3" sensor

* Must be able to make out respectable images during night time

* I'll pay up for quality

If you had up to $500 to spend on this location and these specs, feel free to throw out specific makes & models.

I appreciate replies to my questions and any suggestions you can offer.

vmgtlexi

Well. It looks like a big porch. So I think you will need more then 1 camera.

You want to see face shots or just see if someone is there?

Look at these cameras:

1) Empire ESC1, ESC3, ESC4 (I have used the ESC4 with great results, See my post below)

viewtopic.php?f=5&t=26825

2) CNB Monalisa (Very popular with forum Members, I'm sure others will chime in)

Thanks for the feedback. One camera has worked fine so far. One burglary + one bad guy in jail = 100% success rate!!

Very curious about how TDN cameras would do at night with the given ambient lighting (low-voltage landscape lights, gas light out in the yard, etc.).

A good TDN camera like CNB's 24VF series will eat up the light from landscape lights! Also, it will be a nice step-up from the Nuvico for sure.

Seriously, they will take good advantage of it. Here is a youtube video of mine showing how well a VCM-24VF works throughout night and day:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Gi4zLasNu-w

You shouldn't really think of TDN "vs" IR, the best camera setup would use a TDN camera, and then built-in or (preferably) separate IR illuminators if it is too dark. If you do have some soft landscape lighting that helps to light-up the porch area (like downlights above the porch) it will be fine without any IR.

Birdman - Thanks for the great info and the link to your video. I love your porch by the way.

I guess I thought TDN was different/separate from IR cameras. But, based on the cameras I linked below, I guess they can be called TDN with IR and TDN without IR.

In any case, I think I've narrowed my choices down to these two. I am just torn between getting the model with IR versus without IR.

Can anyone make a case for the IR versus non-IR models of these cameras for my porch night-time lighting as linked on YouTube within this thread?

http://www.samsung-security.com/products/security-cameras/analog-cameras/bullet-cameras/SCO-2080R.aspx

http://www.samsung-security.com/products/security-cameras/analog-cameras/bullet-cameras/SCO-2080.aspx

Hey Birdman -- on your video of your porch, when the image goes black near the end, do you have any ambient lighting around your porch?

There is absolutely no light at all when the camera goes almost completely dark. Not even much moon I think...

EDIT: The SCO-2080R is one of the better designs with IR inside the camera, basically because the IR is separated from the lens by a round shield - there are no chances of IR fogging the lens view. It does seem to be on the expensive end though! Does anyone have any test video?

Birdman - Thanks for the great info and the link to your video. I love your porch by the way.

I guess I thought TDN was different/separate from IR cameras. But, based on the cameras I linked below, I guess they can be called TDN with IR and TDN without IR.

In any case, I think I've narrowed my choices down to these two. I am just torn between getting the model with IR versus without IR.

Can anyone make a case for the IR versus non-IR models of these cameras for my porch night-time lighting as linked on YouTube within this thread?

http://www.samsung-security.com/products/security-cameras/analog-cameras/bullet-cameras/SCO-2080R.aspx

http://www.samsung-security.com/products/security-cameras/analog-cameras/bullet-cameras/SCO-2080.aspx

both cameras are using the winner 5 chipset. so it just depends on how far you want to see. for your porch then go without IR. if you need to see 50ft away from your porch then go IR