zacreth

Best type of cameras for the home.

I am looking into get a security system for the home but I'm stuck on a few choices...

what type of camera? Megapixel vs. Regular Analog?

DVR? Standalong like the QNAP or get a plug-in card for a computer?

I want to get up to 8 cameras but will start with 4 most likely. Budget around 800-1200 to start with a dvr or computer card, and maybe 2 cameras to see if I like the quality. I need to have good quality low light ability since I do not have flood lights around the house.

I've read alot about CNB's Monalisa to KT&C Cameras. So I'm not sure which way to go. I know that Megapixel will cost more but I'm willing to build a quality system over time.

Any recommendations is greatly appreciated.

Yea I saw your post and I like it. How much light is actually out there? I have a street light in front of the house that hopefully would be enough for that camera. Also what was the cost of that camera?

There were no lights on by the house except one streetlight about 150ft away across the street.

Will PM you about price.

Yea I saw your post and I like it. How much light is actually out there? I have a street light in front of the house that hopefully would be enough for that camera. Also what was the cost of that camera?

Unless you have a lot of money to spend (like $500+ per camera), you should stick with analog...

For cameras, I like the Empire cameras xellbuy has (although I have not used them), and I also love CNB's Monalisa cameras (basically the 24VF series for TDN cameras).

Typically standalone is best, especially for people who have never set up a DVR before (let alone a computer).

You are in a good budget range to buy a fine 8-ch DVR, and possibly sneak in 1-2 CNBs or Empires. My suggestion, SRD-870DC from Samsung. You do have a big range below that mark, look for Dahua as cheaper alternatives with very similar features.

If you need a TDN bullet might also want to look at the Samsungs, they have them without IR as well and alot of features. KT&C also has a large line of IR bullets and other mini bullets, only used their mini bullets myself - the KT&C 550TVL mini color bullet is nice for a home also, once there is adequate lighting

ktceg.thumb.png.464fb6e415ff95029f31e8ff5d2d4604.png

Hey Adam,

I was looking at the specs and it looks nice but the price is almost the same as the QNAP VS2012. Can you tell me the benefits of the Samsung over the QNAP?

Rory,

what's the benefit of the bullet cam over the domes? I haven't really read anything between the two really.... other than the dome can prevent damage to the camera itself really.... Is there a benefit of one over the other if I don't expect vandalism in terms of quality of the image?

Okay, but be advised im not trying to push bullets over domes in this post, these are just some basic FYIs

Domes cant be mounted everywhere, one example is my apartment. Yes I could wall mount it, but then Im drilling through a 3 foot wall right into the garage or bedroom at face height, i rather the bullet then the cable goes through the wood into the attic.

Anyway, im not concerned about vandalism at my home, so if you are then you need a vandal dome, or mount a bullet up high. If you have an eave, then a dome makes sense - unless you want Infrared.

In the case of the IR bullets versus an IR dome, the IR with bullets tend to be much greater than those found in domes. Additionally whenever you want to adjust the view of the dome, you have to take the cover off, and then you have to get the cover back on and at the same time make sure the rubber ring that stops the IR getting back into the camera is on properly and tight against the cover.

You also may want easier adjustments - to adjust the direction of a dome, you need to open it up, that means if its raining or spraying watch out, just a drop can cause condensation that could take days to clear up. And although a turret style dome has external adjustment, its not always that simple. A bullet is much easier to adjust, but ofcourse that also makes it easier to vandalize.

Cosmetics - at least in the case of a mini bullet as by KT&C, it is small, very small. We use these primarily in night clubs. As the housings are black and the camera is the size of my pinky (but a little bit thicker), it can be mounted almost anywhere in a night club and never be seen. However, in the case of the mini bullet, with its size comes a compromise - fixed lens with electronic IRIS, whereas the CNB-24VF dome for example has a varifocal lens and auto iris, typically making it handle varying lighting conditions better, plus it has other features the mini bullet does not such as more advanced Back Light Control - basically the VBM-24VF is a better image, as with most cameras with similar specs.

Each application is different.

Hey Adam,

I was looking at the specs and it looks nice but the price is almost the same as the QNAP VS2012. Can you tell me the benefits of the Samsung over the QNAP?

have you thought about going hybrid.

Hey Adam,

have you thought about going hybrid.

$200 now and $1000 when the prices drop,

or $2000 now?

Guess I'll toss my current likes in there too. This system and these cameras are working well for me and I would recommend them to anyone looking to get a decent system up and running. Check my signature link and my youtube channel for vids on the whole setup. Good luck to you.

Dan

So far it seems like the Empire Cameras I might try and for a DVR there's a brand someone pm'd me I'm going to take a look at. Once I get the equipment in the next few weeks I'll post up what the final results are. Plus I can always upgrade later on as well.