vmgtlexi

Samsung SCO-2080R -- First images

Here is an image and a link to a SHORT video of my new Samsung SCO-2080R.

Just slapped these together as it's dinner time. Also, I have not yet made any adjustments to the factory settings in these images.

QUESTION: Why is the front lawn area so WHITE? Is it just b/c these cameras have trouble handling bright light when they are installed in a completely shaded area?

Image is attached.

Video link is: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XZVreV5GhrE

762280460_SCO2080RFullWide546PMET.jpg.f817bc359b7a91e9014f86186eaec616.jpg

You got it back in a very dim location shining out in a bright location. The Auto Gain control is taking into account the immediate area the camera is in and adjusting accordingly. Try moving your camera out towards the edge of the porch more and/or zooming in your lens and it should re-compensate.

For my camera's OSD menu, what settings do I want for the following:

AGC: High, Low, or Off ????

Sens-Up: Off or AUTO ????

I set the SSDR (Samsung's version of WDR I guess) to "BLC". I have no idea why, but it sounds good.

SSNR3 (Noise Reduction): On of OFF ????

For my camera's OSD menu, what settings do I want for the following:

AGC: High, Low, or Off ????

Sens-Up: Off or AUTO ????

I set the SSDR (Samsung's version of WDR I guess) to "BLC". I have no idea why, but it sounds good.

SSNR3 (Noise Reduction): On of OFF ????

AGC: low

off may make it too dark, also may disable the Day Night function

high AGC means more noise at night under low light as it compensates, and more glare in the day possibly.

Sens-up: OFF

SSNR3: if there is alot of noise at night, try turning it on and see how it is, if it is on by default leave it on, wont affect that brightness.

What other SSDR settings does it have? Turn it to SBLC if it has that, or BLC, and turn that up higher if it has an individual setting for it - that will help with that backlighting issue.

I havent used this camera though, they can all be a little different with how the settings work.

Also the image above look like CIF blown up?

My record resolution is 720x240. I recall that when I set up the DVR a few years back, that was the middle choice.

I tried changing it but it wants me to stop recording before changing. And, as luck would have it, my DVR will NOT stop recording.

720x240 is half D1. Bump it up to 720x480 for full, proper resolution. This is why the youtube video is all stretched out like that - its half height.

I like how this cameras looks - Seans suggestion will definitely help the situation. right now you have it kinda dark to the left, while its very bright out in the yard by comparison.

OK, I have changed resolution to 720x480.

Here is a night version with IR on high and my landscape lights all off (except the gas light out in the yard).

By comparison, my old Nuvico which had been in this spot had MUCH BETTER IR night vision. I am VERY disappointed in the Samsung IR night vision; too much of a "tunnel effect". The Nuvico had very widespread IR.

But, maybe there are settings I can tweak.

1005254011_nighthighIRlandscapelightsoff720x480.jpg.a6b85dd00d3ea0b4b6193cc4a05bec7d.jpg

Here is night video with:

720x480

IR on "high"

Notice the IR "tunnel effect". Too narrow. Maybe they had to make it that narrow in order to achieve the claimed 164' of IR night vision, while giving up wide angle IR??

Notice that I have a 2nd set of white windows on the left (farther away than the ones you can see) as well as two bright white rocking chairs. They are all but LOST in this narrow IR field.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NgQAyS-Dsfg

Yea, the quality is much better on D1!

I'm surprised this camera has the IR so centered like that. Maybe play with sense-up (just a bit). Also turn on SSDR - manual seems to portray this as some sort of WDR. Is the IR adjustable from high to a lower setting?

A good trick sometimes is to keep the old camera up just for the IR. Or remove the IR part and run that by itself so it isn't as odd.

remember that lens is 2.8mm, about 90 degrees or so depending on how he focused it, so the IR width is not bad, just doesnt seem to be reflecting off anything.

Something isnt right, there should be some diminishing IR light off to the edges.

The IR in your image just ends. Check gamma, AGC, etc. Throw everything back to default for the night test

OK, I have changed resolution to 720x480.

Here is a night version with IR on high and my landscape lights all off (except the gas light out in the yard).

By comparison, my old Nuvico which had been in this spot had MUCH BETTER IR night vision. I am VERY disappointed in the Samsung IR night vision; too much of a "tunnel effect". The Nuvico had very widespread IR.

But, maybe there are settings I can tweak.

[attachment=0]night high IR landscape lights off 720x480.jpg[/attachment]

Perhaps disable the built in IR and add a couple cheap IR cameras just for their IR (Dont tie in the video). Eg. use the old Nuvico, but leave the video disconnected. Then you can adjust the IR to the perfect position without moving the camera's view, and with 2x 30 degrees may get better IR spread

Here is a night image with IR on "high".

I swear these images and videos look better on my DVR monitor.

file.php?id=2677

If you want to keep this camera up, I see nothing wrong with this shot. In D1, all the better I'm sure. Do you often have your landscape lights off? With them on, everything looks fine. The other thing to consider, and maybe do a short video of, is how well a person is covered at the doorway. I'm assuming this is mounted at a doorway. You're covering that and those windows right? With the extra benefit of that property to the right. Make the picture look fine, sure. But also make sure that when a person approaches, all looks well too.

Dan

Edited by Guest

file.php?id=2676

That is a tricky shot. Hopefully you'll be able to balance that out. It's all stemming from the camera being mounted in such a dark spot shooting into such a bright one- in fact combining both. As well as the OSD options, you can try to polish it off with a tweak in the dvr channels picture settings- bright/contrast. May never be perfect, but you'll know when you can't get any more out of it.

Dan

Does anyone know if there's a way to get more consistent focus across the near/far distances involved here? On my old Nuvico (3.8-9 mm zoom), I think I had the focus set at "infinity" and it looked more consistent near and far.

if you have 2 metal ladders, put one 3/4 way to that chair on the left side, and one same distance on the right, make sure they are both focused the same, although sometimes that is impossible with 2.8mm and some cameras/lenses.

Your nuvico was closer to 4mm, which makes a difference.

You could zoom this in more then it will be a little easier to focus - wider you go the harder the focus at far objects.