wahloon

DSL connection

Ok, I am a little rusty on dsl connections. I was wondering how in the world do I setup for a dsl connection to connect to the internet by dailing out right when the computer turns on, and how to keep it connected or have it autoredial when the connection drops. I have to have the dsl connection consistanly. When the computer turns on I want it dailing out to connect and when the line drops or times out I want it to self auto reconnect. I am having problems with this one company in georgia Alltel, there dsl sucks. I have to setup a dsl connection for broadband service, and there connection always drops. I am running on Windows XP, any help I would appreciate it. thanks guys.

dial-up DSL? DSL is usually a dedicated line, not dial-up? DSL is passed over the phone line at a higher freq and your phone is still "on" all the while DSL connumicates 24/7.

just use the netork wizard.....................

DSL is and isn't on demand. Most DSL clients are using PPPoE (Point to Point over ethernet). PPP is the protocol used for dial up connections and has provisions for being timed out to lack of use. Most DSL companies do the same thing. Most PPPoE clients have ways of tricking the connection to make it look like it's still in use.

Id say it's your ISP, your router does not need the PC to be on to stay connected, however try a program called "keep it alive" or one of those other constant small traffic softwrae generators .. or try tracing the hops next time she goes down to see where the break is!

If you're using a router and it's working ok but times out, look in the router config for an option to stay permanently connected. It might be called something like "nailed up connection". If it won't connect at all you need to check your ISP and account settings. These should be stored somewhere in the router config. You might find that if you go into the router config you can start a wizard that will take you throught the necessary steps.

The router should always keep the dsl connection live, even when the pc is switched off, as it is a standalone unit.